Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
One problem with what you wrote: The subject of this thread - the Polar Bears? Remember them?

No one is "building on their land".

Got it now.
What about drilling? Got it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzgrl View Post
What about drilling? Got it now?

No - I don't think so -

Old 03-20-2009, 09:57 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
ik you want to kill a polar bear... lets make it a fair fight. you against the bear. you can grow your nails out if you like. you can even study karate. your bare hands against the bear... you are smarter so good luck... now there is some sport...
That makes no sense, since from the beginning humans have found ways to create weapons they were not born with. If we were born with the same weapons and strength bears do, we could tackle bears. But still, humans have the intelligence to create weapons to their advantage. Besides, I am certain that you have not problem whatsoever mowing your lawn. That's life too, and you are killing it for "looks" to impress your neighbors.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
I smell troll. In any case, it's the public's business, not a private matter.
He is correct. That's the way it's in Canada, and there is nothing any American can do about it. Most of the money from the hunts go to the Canadian Natives and Indians. Pale faces like me can't guide in Canada.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that there are people who enjoy hunting and who also use/need the food. Humans are hard wired that way; we would have died out long ago if that weren't the case. But I know what you mean. A few years ago some great white hunter from out of state stopped along the side of the road about a mile from my house and shot what he thought was a wolf. It was someone's dog and it was shot in full view of the family.
I enjoy hunting, not necessarily the kill, but looking for the animal to hunt, taking photos of animals I don't hunt, spending time camping or taking to friends by the campfire, or just being out there enjoying the outdoors among friends and family. It gives me no pleasure to kill, but kill for food. I hunt moose, which provides my and my friend's families with clean and nutritious meat, something that is not possible if bought at the supermarket. I also fish (dip-net) salmon during the summer.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 PM

960 posts, read 1,162,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
He is correct. That's the way it's in Canada, and there is nothing any American can do about it. Most of the money from the hunts go to the Canadian Natives and Indians. Pale faces like me can't guide in Canada.
Americans can do something about it, like they did about apartheid in South Africa. No country is an island these days. Canada's a democracy, so it's the public's business there.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Americans can do something about it, like they did about apartheid in South Africa. No country is an island these days. Canada's a democracy, so it's the public's business there.
You are right. A suggest that we invade Canada, take their women, take their oil, drink their beer, and then stop them from clubbing seals. After that, we move into the Native villages, and put all the guides in prison. Finally, we get the US Federal Government to "bail-out" the Canadian Native communities with a sum of money that is equal to what they were making with their guiding industry. That will tech them Canuks

Japan is next. After we invade Japan, we stop them from killing dolphins and whales But why stop there? Brazil and every South American nation should be next, followed by every African nation that kills monkeys, snakes, etc., then Russia, and so forth. We should leave China and the rest of Asia for last. Dogs would thank us for it in the long run.

Just kidding folks I was just trying to illustrate the craziness of it all.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-21-2009 at 01:30 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Please! There is absolutely no reason to "do something" about ..."it"

Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I think that we are kind of coming from different points here. I'm not advocating for anyone to become vegetarian, although, different people do have varying dietary needs. I know all about the need for protien and how a vegetarian would have to make allowances to replace nutrients and minerals that meat readily supplies. I only seafood, eggs or poultry once a week and I have managed to stay fit and healthy. I am totally against trophy/sport hunting. Unless it is a matter of survival, I feel that picking up a gun or an arrow and aiming it at an animal takes a particular kind of person if that person is doing it for fun. That kind of person has a lack of empathy, sympathy or respect for living things. If they do not see the inhumanity in this to call it sport or fun and to hang a head of something that was once vibrant and beautiful on their wall, then this is a flaw in their character.
Trophy hunting is a "rich mans game". Taking a trip to Africa, the Arctic, or any where else to hunt horns and hides IS an eliteist thing. That I will grant. I never saw the sense in a hunt for something I couldn't eat (minus varmint control). But it's been going on for thousands of years. "The sport of kings". These types of hunts , in reality, are not that common though, and it causes no depridation on wildlife. They are prohibitavly expensive, and thus only a handful of folks can afford them. I will grant that some of the people who pay for these hunts are flipdicks who have no clue and are just looking for a "been there done that" status symbol and I would not, peronally want any of these types along on one of my hunts, but, I'm not a highly paid hunting guide that makes their living off some rich city dick thats out for an experience. Guys gotta make a living I guess and if some clown wanted to pay me 35K to go chase a cat , or whatever down with me I'd take the dough. Lol, I'd happily give him an "experience" he would never forget. Top hunting guides are double tough and highly experienced folks. They make their living in the wild places and by knowing the wildlife inside out. And they charge handsomly. If the party they are guiding is just a plain simpleton with a fat bankroll and a pompous attitude, there is an extra charge for puting up with them, and they work them 5 times harder than someone with a positive , down to earth attitude. Lol, I've seen that happen. So, I don't really have a problem ,per se, with trophy hunts. Not my bag, but a guide has to eat to.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:29 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Hey NV, Spring turkey starts here in about a month. Any tips on displaying the beard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies