Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM

960 posts, read 1,157,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'd like to see some data that shows how millions of people support forcibly relocating the Inuit tribes....
Rest assured they would if it came down to the Inuit vs. the last thousand polar bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
and billions more either dont give a damn, or do not feel the way you do.
Who's winning? The EPA in the US is being strengthened now, and polar bears now have threatened status in the US. It's illegal to import polar bear pelts into the US now, so US clients have dropped off for the Inuit.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:15 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,398,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
I'm talking about the extreme case when nothing else has saved the polar bear from imminent extinction.
They aren't going to be hunted to extinction. If hunting poses a danger such as that it will be stopped by the authorities. It doesn't.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,398,467 times
Quote:
Rest assured they would if it came down to the Inuit vs. the last thousand polar bears.
In other words you have nothing to support your claims.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,154,421 times
Quote:
Who's winning? The EPA in the US is being strengthened now, and polar bears now have threatened status in the US. It's illegal to import polar bear pelts into the US now, so US clients have dropped off for the Inuit.

look, it does not matter. in order for people to eat, something has to die. unless you think you are consuming air and living off of it.

ps. and yes I do eat bear if available.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
My point was that IF you actually care about the big picture, instead of having emotional attachments to the ones you like, you would realize that the downfall of life will start at the bottom of the food chain & move up.
There is no good reason to ignore any part of the destruction of the web of life, whether at the bottom or top of the food chain.

Quote:
In that regard you contribute much more to the downfall of humanity than a handful of indians killing a few dozen bears. You damage our ecosystem much much more by existing than they ever could.
A few dozen is too much, given such a small population to begin with. So I don't believe that I damage the ecosystem more. My actions may kill one hair on one polar bear.

Quote:
Do you not think that you displaced animals? Do you not think that bears & other large fauna lived where you now do? Do you not think your ecological footprint is larger than theirs? Every link so far provided clearly says that global warming is the bears enemy, not the innuit. Do you suppose they are more responsible for global warming than you.
Its be more effective to jail people who burn fossil fuel.
The Inuit are certainly doing more harm to the polar bears than I. Yes, I displace bears and other fauna, but mostly those that are not endangered. Any exceptions, like salmon, I support doing whatever it takes to correct the situation.

Quote:
You support useing taxes eh? So you'll pay but only as much as forced to & until forced to you'll just whine about it. I'm quite certain theres places & organizations you could donate to.
If I support higher taxes then nobody's forcing me to pay them. I want to see everyone paying them, not just me. Only conservatives call that "whining".

Quote:
There is NO financial reason to allow hunting them. The only concievable reason is there has been judged to be enough. You dont have to like it.
I don't have to believe it either. History shows that it's likely false.

Quote:
If science is correct the bears habitat will dissapear & them with it, not because of some 2% killed by a few men. But rather from the effects of 7 billion of us clogging up the planet & sucking it dry. You & Me, we are the problem. Not hunting, sport or otherwise.
I'm confident that 2% killed annually is at least a thousand times more harmful than what the rest of the planet is collectively doing.

Quote:
You dont help, you yell for someone else to help.

Go on, fly up there & make them stop.
Spoken like a conservative. I do help in other ways, but the best way is for enough people to hold my beliefs, so that come voting time, representatives are elected who then make the appropriate decisions to save the polar bears.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM

340 posts, read 702,791 times
Polar bears should be killed...

did you know that polar bears have been seen drinking and driving --- AND have no insurance?

There is even talk about those sneaky bastards carrying shoe bombs to local igloos.

Why just last week a Polar bear was seen dating a Grizzly bear - those white bastards are getting uppity.

Nex thing you know they will try to sit next to us at churches - Can you believe that?

16,880 posts, read 15,154,421 times
Quote:
representatives are elected who then make the appropriate decisions to save the polar bears.

and what if Alaska decides that the wildlife in its state is a state matter and not the central goverments under the 10th Amendment?

then you have a problem, one that can spiral out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They aren't going to be hunted to extinction. If hunting poses a danger such as that it will be stopped by the authorities.
History shows a very poor track record of that actually happening.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,388,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OK fellow hunters, what caliber and rifle would you choose to hunt polar bears? I have a 7WSM, I'm a fan of the caliber, but not for dangerous game. I'm thinking .375 H&H or .375 Ultra Mag, loaded with Barnes Tripple Shocks. Synthetic stock for the environment. What optics for the conditions? Has to be rock solid reliable, not freeze or fog up. Would you go open sights like so many dangerous game rifles, or scoped? As to action, bolt or double rifle?
I'd take my 1895 Marlin 45/70 with a nice 405 grain hard cast at about 1900 fps or as fast as I could push it & not hesitate one second. Probably scope it with a low power variable, 2-7 or so. I shoot the gun with open sights mostly but this would be special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies