Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,820,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Again, the vitriol is amazing. Palin is obviously a lot smarter than the liberal posters here and has read the information provided to her in studies that show that throwing money at education does not improve how or what people learn. Despite increases in education budgets (primarily by democrats), test scores have not gone up and students are not more inclined to learn. Maybe Palin understands that throwing money at the issue doesn't solve the issue. Once again, this just proves that the Democrats and Liberals are the party of money, as in controlling everyone's.
Maybe I'm stupid. Please let me know how this decision is anymore then political given the fact that Gov Palin has accepted federal money hand over fist prior to the stimulus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:03 AM

38,608 posts, read 26,238,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I take it education isnt a priority for you either.

During GWB's administration, federal education expeditures increased by a half. When is enough enough?

Let's fix the broken system with vouchers that will take the NEA out of the driver's seat and put the parents in charge for a change.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Maybe I'm stupid. Please let me know how this decision is anymore then political given the fact that Gov Palin has accepted federal money hand over fist prior to the stimulus.

The rug gets pulled out two years or so up the road. The problem becomes sustainability. Why increase the size and scope of government as though these expenditures will continue when everyone knows they can't. We can't even sell the bonds for the trillion this will cost. You must be very young to have no concern about hyperinflation and stagnation of the sort we experienced during Carter's presidency that will result from printing unbacked currency. Why do liberals always seem to think their actions will have no unintended or undesirable consequences?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,638,303 times
Quote:
I take it education isnt a priority for you either.
I am guessing that education is not important to you either as if you had read my post, you would have learned something and not made an absolutely inane rebuttal. Please review the logical flow here.

Education is certainly a priority for every conservative I know, we just prefer not to confuse education with brainwashing or indoctrination as liberals do.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,204,293 times
Quote:
Lol. This is from "momsforsarahpalin.com."

The reality of SP's noble decision:
The national GOP loves “fiscal conservatives,†which is a bit shocking really, when you think they came into power 8 years ago with a national budget surplus
This is a popular myth that the left likes to use for political purposes, but it isn't based on fact.

Do the research, instead of simply parroting the rhetoric.

The Myth of the Clinton Surplus
Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

Quote:
and we’re now trillions in debt. But, yes, they still like to say they like fiscal conservatives. They like that talking point,
And the liberals love their myth and continue it as a "talking point", but it is what it is...pure myth.

Quote:
and cling to it like a favorite old teddy bear. And it is this fantasy ideal of fiscal conservatism that motivates our governor to turn away the money that her “state family†needs.
Did you watch/listen to the video at the linked site? I think Palin had valid reasons for her action.
[/quote]

Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Maybe the Gov could reduce the state corporate income tax rate which is currently the fourth highest in the country. Or maybe she could reduce the amount of federal income taxes that her state received compared to how much they paid. They have been in the top ten welfare states for the past ten years.

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005

PS all of the info that I've posted is available in that link.

1981-2005?

Would you happen to have a link that includes data from when Palin was actually the Governor? She was elected Governor in 2006. That means she didn't take office until 2007.

Sarah Palin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,923,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
So, Palin is a nearly half responsible governor?

Declining the money is her right, but I'm having a hard time understanding why she's not declining it all. It's wrong to make future generations pay for the stimulus, but it's okay if they only have to pay for 55% of it?
It's like smoking pot but not inhaling.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,315,769 times
Quote:
Again, the vitriol is amazing. Palin is obviously a lot smarter than the liberal posters here and has read the information provided to her in studies that show that throwing money at education does not improve how or what people learn. Despite increases in education budgets (primarily by democrats), test scores have not gone up and students are not more inclined to learn. Maybe Palin understands that throwing money at the issue doesn't solve the issue. Once again, this just proves that the Democrats and Liberals are the party of money, as in controlling everyone's.
I agree with you with respect to the Federal government's lack of success in positively impacting education, and with a "throw money at the problem" attempt at a solution. The problem is that this occured as much under a Bush admin as under many Dem ones. That's one of the issues where Bush earned the tag "Neocon". The federal government should stay out of education, it's an issue for state and local governments.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,496,120 times
Quote:
I am guessing that education is not important to you either as if you had read my post, you would have learned something and not made an absolutely inane rebuttal. Please review the logical flow here.

Education is certainly a priority for every conservative I know, we just prefer not to confuse education with brainwashing or indoctrination as liberals do.
I agree with vouchers, at least in principle. I believe they could work as long as regulations keep the focus on education, rather than a free-for-all money grab.

I don't subscribe to identity politics, however, and I can see that those who do are subject to as much brainwashing as the other. Indeed, when one seeks membership in a group, for membership's sake, one becomes a sitting duck with regard to being indoctrinated - liberals and conservatives alike.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is a popular myth that the left likes to use for political purposes, but it isn't based on fact.

Do the research, instead of simply parroting the rhetoric.

The Myth of the Clinton Surplus
Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

And the liberals love their myth and continue it as a "talking point", but it is what it is...pure myth.

Did you watch/listen to the video at the linked site? I think Palin had valid reasons for her action.
[/quote]

His three last years do have much better numbers, but I've explained to all the rank and file lefties before that Clinton and his Democratically controlled congress had nothing to do with it because nothing changed until after the Republican Revolution. Delusianne knows that. In fact if you really look at consumer confidence, it doesn't really take off until after Gingrich forced Clinton to go along with the program by shutting down the government. The Republican Congress had the discipline to make Pay-Go work too. But this was all done with the White House kicking and screaming all the way. When it worked, Clinton took credit for all the things he fought against.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/UMCSENT.txt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies