Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,677,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The one thing Obama has really let us down on is not taking harder after the rich who continue to rob us blind and steal our country.
When are we gonna take pitchforks to all the lazy welfare cheats that infest our country? When are we gonna demand that they work or they starve? There are millions of jobs available currently being done by illegal aliens.

If you apply for welfare they need to send you out to do a job being done by an illegal so we can send them packing. This is retarded. Penalize people that work hard and make money. But reward lazy inner city people that sit on stoops all day doing absolutely nothing but sucking on the public tit. No wonder they voted for Obama.

It's not the rich that are destroying our country it's all the welfare freeloaders and cheats that are sucking it dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,057,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Obama's rich please qualify that. What do you call rich, what do you consider work.
By his own standards of earning more that $250K per year. His net worth has also been estimated at $7mil (and that was before the recent $500K book deal). Sorry, but he's rich.....get the fork.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,169,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
To be perfectly honest, it's my opinion. Of course, that opinion is based on a set of facts.

The Social Security fund, despite some politicians allusions to a "lockbox", is underfunded, and everyone knows it's underfunded. And that doesn't even address the fact that Social Security has never been more than a legal pyramid scheme anyway; current payout is made by taking the money of those currently paying in. There is no investment or money growth.
The average investor historically makes SOME profit on his investments. Perhaps not a major gain, but not a loss of principal either, on average.
Thus, the average investor can do better with the money than the Social Security administration has done.

A bit simplified? Sure. Accurate anyway? Yes, I believe so.

That's the biggest bunch of crap I've ever read in my life. SS is no more than a insurance policy. So if you spend your whole life screwing up I won't have to step around you while you're puking up blood in the street to poor to even get a two-bit room.
If you look at insurance consider what you get for your car insurance. Nothing really unless you screw up and do damage or hurt someone. Other wise it's just money down the drain. The one thing SS has is that it is guaranteed by the US gubmit instead of AIG.

As an aside, can you point out how Bernie Madoff did anything worse than what the Social Security administration is doing to all of us? He took in money from as many as would pay in, using that money to pay off the earlier investors as they demanded some return, knowing full well that eventually he would be unable to pay those last in. And how long is he going to be in prison? And some could argue that what he did is not as bad, as paying him was never compulsory.
You have to remember that the people investing with Madoff, were not buying insurance. This was greed at it's very worst on everybody's part. If someone tells you they can guarantee 12% every year RUN.

As an aside. We can now answer the question on the redistribution of wealth. If the rich that Madoff made poor, are rich again with in a year. What the right says about wealth may be true. However if there still broke and demanding the gubmet make them whole. Well then the right wingies are just blowing smoke.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
By his own standards of earning more that $250K per year. His net worth has also been estimated at $7mil (and that was before the recent $500K book deal). Sorry, but he's rich.....get the fork.
Oh I see he made his money by writing a book, or through talent.

And you are against someone with talent making money because?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 PM

[quote=stiffnecked;8058245]When are we gonna take pitchforks to all the lazy welfare cheats that infest our country? quote]

Well you know we'll find some 3 year old welfare child for you. Then you can disinfect the country of that one yourself.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Oh I see he made his money by writing a book, or through talent.

And you are against someone with talent making money because?
Did I say that?

Here's a clue...NO!!

You asked if he was rich...using his own definition the clear answer is yes. I'm assuming he has to get in the same line as all the other rich folks who get the fork at the hands of those who hate and despise the rich.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:50 PM

[quote=NCyank;8058638]Did I say that?

Here's a clue...NO!!

You asked if he was rich...using his own definition the clear answer is yes. I'm assuming he has to get in the same line as all the other rich folks who get the fork at the hands of those who hate and despise the rich.[/quote]

Are you talking about stabbing the President of the United States?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,930,613 times
Quote:
That's the biggest bunch of crap I've ever read in my life. SS is no more than a insurance policy. So if you spend your whole life screwing up I won't have to step around you while you're puking up blood in the street to poor to even get a two-bit room.
If you look at insurance consider what you get for your car insurance. Nothing really unless you screw up and do damage or hurt someone. Other wise it's just money down the drain. The one thing SS has is that it is guaranteed by the US gubmit instead of AIG.

I never claimed it was more than an insurance policy. But it's a policy written by a company that would get a lousy rating from any of the insurance rating agencies. Becasue it doesn't actually have to money to pay it's policy holders. Worse, we are all being forced to pay premiums on a policy that we will neve be able to collect on, becasue our premiums are needed to pay the guys drawing on it now.
Quote:
You have to remember that the people investing with Madoff, were not buying insurance. This was greed at it's very worst on everybody's part. If someone tells you they can guarantee 12% every year RUN.

Sure, it was greed & stupidity on the part of the people who paid into his scheme. And it appears to me to be just as stupid to pay into another scheme that can't possibly reward me at the end, just because it happens to be sponsored by our government.
Quote:
As an aside. We can now answer the question on the redistribution of wealth. If the rich that Madoff made poor, are rich again with in a year. What the right says about wealth may be true. However if there still broke and demanding the gubmet make them whole. Well then the right wingies are just blowing smoke.
The argument is a bit of a smokescreen on the issue of the wealthy being able to make themselves wealthy again. Most of his investors were older, and no longer have the same ability to take risks and make the big money again, nor the time frame to do so. Also, it's possible that I haven't followed enough of the details of those who were taken in & lost money to him, but I haven't seen any of them demanding that the government make them whole. Would you share some of these please?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Are you talking about stabbing the President of the United States?
Of course not...that was KevK and all the other folks in here who hate the rich and think they deserve to be forked. I merely clarified for you that he is indeed rich. You'll have to ask all the rich haters what they want to do about the unfortunate truth that Obama falls into the category of people that they want to pitchfork. I suppose they could keep the forking to only white rich folks...they could save Obama and Obama at the same time.

I wouldn't stab anyone, including a rich person.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,442,738 times
Whining liberal defined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies