Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I noticed there is a ton of data on high level of education and political party affliliation (Democrat) but I'm having trouble finding data that says which political party gets the vote of people who didn't graduate from high school.

Why is that? See, I think it's the same political party. Can someone point me to reliable data that says which party gets the vote of high school dropouts?
I cant point to the data, but just look around if you have a city nearby. Virtually ALL the folks in the poor sections support Democrats religiously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times
I posted this on a different thread but is appropriate here.

We were told that the Rublicans were all old, uneducated, rednecks who live in trailers and the Democrats are brilliant, kind, young, educated and have the good jobs. This is what we were told during the campaign.

Now that the campaign is over, suddenly these old, uneducated, rednecks have somehow managed to leave their trailers and have taken over the executive jobs and are refusing to pay taxes to help the poor, sick, and uneducated Democrats.

I would think that if the Republicans were able to climb from the bowels of the economic ladder and take over the all the top positions, then they might be the ones that you want to ask how to fix the economy. We are being told Obama needs more time for us to see changes. Well look what the redneck Repubs were able to accomplish in just a couple months!

It is obvious that the Dems change the senerio depending what best suits them at the time.

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 03-23-2009 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Usually data is presented by age and highest level of education level. Sperling's says 79.62% of the US population over age 25 has at least a high school diploma/GED. I just want to know, for which political party the other 20.38% votes. It should be x% doesn't vote, x% votes Republican, x% votes Democrat, x% votes other. The Gallup link is good but it has high school graduates lumped in with dropouts.
And why are you fixated on only high school drop outs? Then, would it be equally logical to focus only on the most learned of all groups (Grad and Post Grad which vote overwhelmingly democratic)? I thought the idea was to understand how the educated vote. So we should be looking at full spectrum of voters. Besides, I see no point in eliminating voter group younger than 25.

The Gallup Poll provided a pretty comprehensive look at what you were looking for, and it is from the latest election (D: Blue, R: Red)
Sub-High School: 51% 49% (Currently in High School or Drop Outs)
High School: 47% 53% (Finished High School, no College)
Some College: 52% 48% (Currently in College or Drop Outs)
College: 55% 45%
Grad School: 67% 33%
Post Grad School: 65% 35%

I would say, people with some high school and some college only slightly voted more democratic. People with just high school diploma gave an edge to the republican ticket. College and above has significant number of democratic voters.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I posted this on a different thread but is appropriate here.

We were told that the Rublicans were all old, uneducated, rednecks who live in trailers and the Democrats are brilliant, kind, young, educated and have the good jobs. This is what we were told during the campaign.

Now that the campaign is over, suddenly these old, uneducated, rednecks have somehow managed to leave their trailers and have taken over the executive jobs and are refusing to pay taxes to help the poor, sick, and uneducated Democrats.

I would think that if the Republicans were able to climb from the bowels of the economic ladder and take over the all the top positions, then they might be the ones that you want to ask how to fix the economy. We are being told Obama needs more time for us to see changes. Well look what the redneck Repubs were able to accomplish in just a couple months!

It is obvious that the Dems change the senerio depending what best suits them at the time.
That's hysterical. Thank you

Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
There have been many, many studies on this and the break down is like this. Most of the uneducated (what politicians euphemistically call "low information voters") people end up in the Republican Party because they like that party's stance on wedge social issues. Things like abortion, guns, non-white immigrants, gays, and all that; which explains why every election Republicans try to trump up a new wedge issue. There just aren't enough millionaires to win an election so they try to pump religion and wedge issues to get dumb ass making $25,000 a year in Tennessee to vote against his own self interest because he's so fired up about fake culture war issues.

Statically speaking the better educated a person is the more likely they are to be a member of the Democratic Party and the less educated they are the more likely they are to vote with the guns and jesus crowd in the Republican Party. The main exception to this is blacks who tend to vote Democratic overwhelmingly no matter their income or education level and when pollsters ask them why blacks overwelmingly say because it is because they see the Republicans as a racist old white man's party. I can't say they are wrong.

The pollsters and big wigs in both parties know this and that's why they frame their platforms the way they do.
Where'd you get your data??? Link?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Undereducated as far as what?
School? Basic grammar?

Or how about not knowing what evolution is or the fact that it's proven that it does occur? Or not knowing that there is scientific (along with sociological and anthropological) evidence that homosexuality is natural and occurs in many life forms?

There is more than one group of "undereducated". You can have education in one subject and lack it in another. The next person can have the exact opposite and subsequently vote differently.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:53 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
CNN.com - Elections 2006

It's the 2006 election because I can't find the break down for the 2008 election but if someone else does I would love to see it.

Key figures: College graduate Dems 53% Republicans 46%, Post Grads Dems 58% Rep 41%.

High School dropouts also tend to vote Democratic by similar margins though that issue is very complex and has to be broken down by race. In fact Democrats lead at all levels of education but in general the more educated a person is the more likely they are to vote Democratic.
But that's the whole point.

What if the articles were titled "High School Drop Outs Vote Democrat" and the thrust of all the articles was that undereducated people vote Democrat without mentioning, or barely mentioning, or burying that very educated people do, too. You would think that Democrats are dumb. It's bias, by omission, at work.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Keep in mind that you are not going to find a breakdown by party, you instead need to go by elections.

First, here are some income figures from last years election (left is for Ds, right for Rs):

Less than $15,000 73% 25%
$15,000–$29,999 60% 37%
$30,000-$49,999 55% 43%
$50,000-$74,999 48% 49%
$75,000-$99,999 51% 48%
$100,000-$149,999 48% 51%
$150,000-$199,999 48% 50%
Greater than $200,000 52% 46%

Looks like Democrats win the poorest, and very richest brackets, with the Republicans all over the middle ground.

Here are the education stats (once again, Ds on the left, Rs on the right):

No High School 63% 35%
H.S. Graduate 52% 46%
Some College 51% 47%
College Graduate 50% 48%
Postgraduate Study 58% 40%

These figures were taken from Wikipedia, with the source being CNN exit polls:

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

From these stats, it is obvious that the uneducated vote Democrat overwhelmingly. Republicans fare the best in the middle ground (as usual), while the Democrats receive the very smartest, and most unintelligent voters. Makes sense, the average Republican probably joins the workforce (or military) right out of high school. If you average it all out, the average Republican is going to be smarter than the average Democrat..

This does bust some stereotypes, as it turns out, Republicans are just as educated as the Democrats, and in reality, the wealthy cling to the Democrats, not the Republicans...
Apparently I wanted too long to edit my post, but there is something I would like to add;

These statistics from exit polls show why people vote Republican vs. Democrat. Notice how strong of a hold the Republicans have on the middle ground? People who are living comfortably, but not too rich, and not too poor. And since Moderates/Conservatives believe in status quo, it is easy to see where the Republican base comes from, and why people at the bottom of the totem poll vote for the party of reform/change. In reality, the wealthiest and poorest brackets feel economic problems long before those in the middle, and it is obvious why Obama received so much support from those groups when the economy tanked.

A lot of presidential elections are based on one or two issues alone, this time around it was the anti-war sentiment, as well as the tanking economy that decided this election. There are some voters who stick to party lines religiously, but the vast majority of Americans vote on issues, not parties. That is why I believe that education level rarely determines voter behavior.

I know I sound like a crazy person, using facts and statistics, but I find voter trends very interesting!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Notice how strong of a hold the Republicans have on the middle ground? People who are living comfortably, but not too rich, and not too poor. And since Moderates/Conservatives believe in status quo, it is easy to see where the Republican base comes from...
From what I see, the middle income group ($50K-$200K) is almost split between democratic and republican (1-3% difference). It is below and above that democratic voter advantage shows up.

I do see a point that sometimes a reasonably well to do person (not rich and not poor) may find solace in status quo and could focus more on trivial matters like religion and social issues. This would apply equally to liberals and conservatives.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
That's an easy one. Since you are the Party of Stupid Dated Ideologies and the Party with all the Wackjobs case in point Michelle Bachmann I would have to say without a doubt that it is the Grand Obstructionist Party

Sure you didnt forget to capitalize any more letters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies