Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Lots of bad things happen when people who really don't know what they are talking about actually believe they know what they are talking about. I'm an auto mechanic by trade. I have been certified by ASE as a master automotive technician. I also have an advanced ASE certification in the area of Drivability. If your vehicle doesn't run right, I have an understanding of the issues that most people don't. Sometimes people who really have no idea how highly complex modern computer-controlled engine management systems function like to disagree with my assessment of things. Maybe they just don't like what I have to say. It doesn't matter though, because they have no idea what they are talking about.

When I was a Marine, I learned all about the M-16. One of the things I learned during my training is that the one and only thing that separates an AR-15 from an M-16 is the presence of an automatic sear. If you take an M-16 apart you can replace the automatic sear with a semi-automatic sear. After you do that, it will only fire semi-automatic. The automatic sear is the key. I was specifically looking for that information as I read the court document. This person's rifle did not have an automatic sear. Go ahead, check the document. That is what ATF said. No automatic sear. It would appear the judge had no idea what he or she was doing in this trial.
No disrespect intended & I sure could be wrong but I believe the feds forced Colt to make other changes to prevent just dropping in an auto sear. I'm not very familiar with Stoners design but thought I'd toss that out there before an anti did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The ATF has absolutely no standards for their "testing" on guns to determine if they are machine guns. THey've been caught in the past doing all sorts of modifications to confiscated weapons to make them fire full auto, even if for a brief moment. In this case, initially, the gun was dtermiend to be semi-auto, the person handling the case didn't like that and requested further "testing" and then they "proved" it was full auto. Or not. The ATF had actually been targetting Olofson for years. They don't like it when they lose in court so they hound people. But hey, this is the federal agency that has declared shoe strings to be machineguns in the past, has declared firearm accessories not to be machine guns in one ruling and reversed it a few years later with no explanation as to why.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Its easy, look at all the sheep here ready to hang the guy.
The truth is it really shouldn't matter if he had a full auto anyway. No REAL crime was commited, there is no victim except the convicted.

Do we lock up folks who use cars capable of violating the speed limit?
Do cars cause more death & enable more crime than guns?

The guy was convicted for carrying a gun while his kids were trick or treating. So what? I do that every year, is it a crime to be concerned for your kids saftey? I imagine he lacked a permit but again, whats the REAL crime, who was victmized?

I guess some people feel good about locking up those who have done no real harm. I pity them.

Finally a gun nut admits the obvious...even if he did convert the weapon to automatic it shouldn't be prosecuted...

You know the difference between gun nuts and real conservatives who advocate for gun ownership rights????....gun nuts starts threads like this one where they "claim" to have knowledge of what happened....and also rationalize breaking the law....that's the difference..

Old 08-17-2010, 02:37 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
All this would not have been a issue if he did not lend the weapon to a friend.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Dunno why this thread got brought up again, and or why it showed below a auto related thread I made recently. I am not familar with the guy, the case or 'his' gun, but it did or it did not have a auto sear, and if not the judge was WRONG.

There is a mechanical difference between a semi auto sear and a full auto sear. The law should be based on real world hard parts.

With the correct paper work there are several states where full auto machine guns are quite legal. NH is just one of them.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
Freaking BATF needs to be disbanded NOW!

National Firearms Act of 1934 needs to be overturned NOW!

If a guy wants to own a full auto, he should be able to do so. PERIOD!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
I could live with that. But I would have a bad time affording the ammo.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It's a semi auto weapon, period. NOTHING illegal about that.
Well as the saying goes better to tried by 12 than buried by 6.

He got tried, and now he gets buried.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 29,634 times
First off, you never start a reasonable agreement or debate with an insult, like trying to offend people by calling them gun nuts. Padcrasher do you know why the BATFE was created, to ONLY collect money on NFA firearms defined in 1932, they obviously have way overextended their reach. Now, what are NFA fire arms? I will list each one and the reason that each one was made.
1 Silencers - you need to get a tax stamp or license to have one - this rule was to reduce poaching during the Great Depression (IT WAS NOT BECAUSE "ASSASSINS USE SILENCERS") actually at the time bub they didn't use silencers to kill people. 2 Full auto weapons - defined as more than one shot per trigger pull - legally obtainable as long as bought with a tax stamp or license - they were regulated because a Machiene gun gave suppression fire which was not accurate at all but made everyone duck and hide because it seemed scary and kept being used in bank robberies so it became a NFA item.
3 Short barreled Rifles - these are obtainable with a tax stamp or license - they were also heavily used in robberies during the time so the government regulated them
So why is there a $200 tax stamp to get each weapon? Well the thought was that less regular people driven to crime because of poverty and starvation would have the money to spend on a gun and a $200 tax stamp for it in 1932. Now days "Gun-Activists" or constitution-haters as I call them, think all sorts of crazy ideas, and walk and talk like they are the next Ablert Einstein, well now, you aren't so smart if you don't really know the rules and history of them are you? Also, the gAyTF was involved in the creation of the rule in 1985 which prohibited the civilian ownership of full auto fire arms made after the year 1985, this sent the registered part of the full auto gun sky high for absolutely no reason, so it increased the value of those guns, now if we wanted to destroy that monetary value what would we do? Spend years teaching gun safety with air and dummy guns to everyone adults and children, teach them that bullet size, weight, and gun rifling are easily calculated so if they committed a crime with a gun they would get caught, then most gun crime would drop, then trash the full auto rule after 5-10 years of the mandatory safety classes being around, the current civilian legal full auto m16 receivers are worth a minimum of $16,000, if you do that those receivers would be worth $60, then that would really hurt the most extreme "gun nuts" as you would call us because a lot of people invested their retirement into those thinking since they are hard to get their value would go up. But no, "gun-activists" can't put 1+2 together to equal 3.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:05 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Sorry to break up your fantasy gun nuts but there is more to this story

Milwaukee Journal

"This was a man who has considerable knowledge of weapons, considerable knowledge of machine guns," Clevert said. "Mr. Olofson, in this court's view, has shown he was ignoring the law."

Assistant U.S. Attorney Gregory Haanstad noted that Olofson had two previous gun-related convictions, including carrying a concealed weapon with his children trick-or-treating. He also noted that Olofson was reprimanded for corrupting Army computers and perhaps providing militia groups access to sensitive information.
OK, you call ALL us gun owners as "gun nuts" then we can call ALL of you cowards.

To the ACTUAL thread. What does " including carrying a concealed weapon with his children trick-or-treating. He also noted that Olofson was reprimanded for corrupting Army computers and perhaps providing militia groups access to sensitive information." Have to do with this
THIS INCIDENT?Answer, ABSOLUTLY NOTHING.

Did he have CCP? The story doesn't say. HMM! "with his children trick-or-treating." Oh the horror!

To the real story. IF he attempt to modify a semi-auto to full auto against the law, he SHOULD be prosecuted accordingly.

I think a life ban is a bit overboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies