Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Wrong. The government has gained more power over it's citizens over the past 100 years via the tax codes.

The more power government has gained,the more regulatory power over the private sector, the less prosporous we have become.
Way to derail a discussion. We're talking government versus corporations here, not government versus citizen (which is amusing argument to begin with but unnecessary for anything but distraction).

As for regulatory power of the government over corporations, are you aware of corporate charters that were put in place upon independence? What is your take on them?

Stay on topic please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I wouldn't say that's the case, but I can see why you might think that.

Personally, I have more distrust of the government. I'd say to the contrary of your view, they've seized a lot of power from the corporation. There are a lot more rules in place than there wer fifty years ago.
But I'm not talking about 50 years. In fact, I said, corporations have taken over and bought the government gradually over last 100-150 years, after being kept in check when this nation was first born.

I can see many are brainwashed now, a reason why we see things differently. But a little peek back into history, and around the ideologies our founding fathers set up the governance should help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
It will be so much better to set up shop in other countries in the coming years, especially with the threat of breaking contract law and corporation seizure.

These clowns are just wingin' it.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Wrong. The government has gained more power over it's citizens over the past 100 years via the tax codes.

The more power government has gained,the more regulatory power over the private sector, the less prosporous we have become.
Quite right. The small guy is muscled out by government funded corporations and overregulation, stifling competition and keeping the big boyz in charge.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Quite right. The small guy is muscled out by government funded corporations and overregulation, stifling competition and keeping the big boyz in charge.
Y'all would have made East India Company and like very proud back in the day.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Wrong. It is returning power to the government, something that had been taken away from it by corporatists over last 100-150 years.
Christ God Almighty, that's a stunning statement.

Any power the government has is granted by the Constitution. Any power not granted by Constitutional law is reserved to the states and the people.

It's time to strip the government of its ill regarded notion that it has the right to 'seize the assets of a failing company'.

'Return power to the government'. Christ, that's a Commie frakkin statement if there ever was one, Comrade. No wonder bleeding bum liberals think Conservatives use 'fear' as a tactic. You guys ARE to be feared.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Christ God Almighty, that's a stunning statement.

Any power the government has is granted by the Constitution. Any power not granted by Constitutional law is reserved to the states and the people.

It's time to strip the government of its ill regarded notion that it has the right to 'seize the assets of a failing company'.

'Return power to the government'. Christ, that's a Commie frakkin statement if there ever was one.
We can spend hours calling each other names, you fascist, you commie... but that isn't the purpose of the thread, or is it? Since you started this thread, you should know. Or, should I assume the idea wasn't to have a discussion, just mouthing off, and run?

Going back to my assumption, to discuss the subject, the constitution afforded power to the government to control corporations, revoke their licenses, via corporate charters. You should read this first then perhaps we can have a meaningful conversation on the subject.

PS. If you disagree with the link I provided, I would appreciate you backing up your claim.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But I'm not talking about 50 years. In fact, I said, corporations have taken over and bought the government gradually over last 100-150 years, after being kept in check when this nation was first born.
I don't believe you are right on this at all. Until the gov started making moves against monopolies in the early part of the 20th century, the government had pretty much had a hands off attitude towards business. That's because it wasn't granted that power, as another poster has noted.

After breaking up the monopolies, or threats thereof, which was a good thing, they started becoming more and more involved. There has been some good to come out of this (Clean Air Act for example) but the vast majority of government meddling has done little for the American people, just increased taxes.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I don't believe you are right on this at all. Until the gov started making moves against monopolies in the early part of the 20th century, the government had pretty much had a hands off attitude towards business. That's because it wasn't granted that power, as another poster has noted.

After breaking up the monopolies, or threats thereof, which was a good thing, they started becoming more and more involved. There has been some good to come out of this (Clean Air Act for example) but the vast majority of government meddling has done little for the American people, just increased taxes.
I couldn't care less about being wrong or right per someone's whim, as long as I'm placing my arguments logically, and backing them up.

My focus is primarily on the type of governance professed by the founding fathers, in the early days of this nation. It is last 100-150 years over which transformational changes have happened, and your focused on a fraction of that period.

I understand you hate taxes, I do too, but we approach it differently. Having said that, again, taxes is NOT the point of the discussion, but government control of corporation is.

As for the government, it is rather amusing to see people hate it and go at length to defend corporations using the rhetoric. How did that come about? Could it be that people lost control of the government and corporations took over? Think about it.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
its a matter of who is seizing who. its like a bad rumba isn't it --- DC is trying to grab the banks by the .... well you know and the banks are trying to grab his wallet.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Insteade of seizing these companies they need to let 'em fail if that's what's going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies