Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,687,104 times

Advertisements

Canada is soooo lucky they don't have piece of sh*t for a neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:53 PM

659 posts, read 1,082,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I'm sick and tired of Mexico's problems being blamed on the US.
Not all of Mexico's problem's are our fault. It's just the illegal drug trade that is. Face the facts. There wouldn't BE a problem with powerful drug cartels if we didn't spend BILLIONS funding them; i.e. buying their drugs.

Quote:
Drug use is mostly frown upon in the US and is illegal so how can you blame the US for Mexico's drug cartel problem?
Did the criminalization of marijuana stop it from being the FOURTH MOST PROSPEROUS CASH CROP? Uh, let me answer that for you - no.

Drugs being illegal does not mean diddly squat. All it means is that the drug cartels - Mexico's drug cartels - get the untaxed profit from it (which helps them buy guns, ammo, supplies - i.e. fund them) while we spend billions fighting a war against a substance that can be grown in a backyard.

Quote:
If Mexico's government had created an environment that allowed its citizens to prosper and flourish like we have in the US, then there would not be so many desperate citizens who resort to a life of crime to improve their lot in life!
Uh no. Mexico actually has a very strong and a very good constitution (try reading it sometime, it's enlightening) but it is not enforceable. In other words, the Mexican cartels have ganered so much money and power that they have the means to undermine (which they do), defy (which they do), and rebell against the government (again which they do).

It becomes impossible to stop them when the police only have oozis and handguns while the opposition has AK-47's and heavy assualt rifles that can gun down ten people in two seconds. Who do you think is going to come out on top?

Quote:
If our nation's druggies really drove the demand, then why doesn't the US or Canada have the whole drug cartel issues that Mexico has?
It's called power sweetie (that and they simply just have better drugs). What do you think turf wars and gang fights are?

Quote:
Simply, the US and Canada does not have the level of corruption that is the legacy of Mexican government!
Oh we have the corruption, they are just aren't as blatant as Mexico is (as in, they won't shoot you in your face, they'd rather have your back). If our government was truly for the people they would have legalized weed and the rest of the drugs a long time ago. More lives are lost, more families destroyed, and basically more harm has been done by having drugs illegal. We can simply look back of alcohol prohibition when the crime rates were sky high. Hmmm, I wonder, exactly why did the crime rates and Al Capone's drop off practically overnight? I forget, someone please remind me.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 PM

814 posts, read 2,301,951 times
^^but alcohol is not as dangerous as these drugs you are talking about legalizing. there are enough people battling addiction to alcohol and cigarettes and these other hardcore drugs are horrendous. i can just only imagine what it would be like if these drugs were legalized. omg

the problem is people don't take these drugs like they have an occasional glass of wine or get drunk on the weekends. these are highly addictive substances that not only destroy the body but the mind. people who take them, don't want to be addicted and end up feening for them. pepple enter rehab not because drugs are illegal but because it ruins thier and other's lives.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,962,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
^^but alcohol is not as dangerous as these drugs you are talking about legalizing. there are enough people battling addiction to alcohol and cigarettes and these other hardcore drugs are horrendous. i can just only imagine what it would be like if these drugs were legalized. omg

the problem is people don't take these drugs like they have an occasional glass of wine or get drunk on the weekends. these are highly addictive substances that not only destroy the body but the mind. people who take them, don't want to be addicted and end up feening for them. pepple enter rehab not because drugs are illegal but because it ruins thier and other's lives.
I agree. I just do not get those folks who want to legalize drugs, which would be akin to our government endorsing drug use! I'm sorry but just because Mexico is supplying harmful illicit substances to lawbreaking citizens does not mean that the US is responsible for their corruption and crime. This is the fault of the Mexican government, pure and simple!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,565,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
If the US is going to pay to fix Mexico's government, I think Mexico should give some land to the US. I think that would be a fair trade.
How about all of it? 51st state?
With how messed up our government is, I bet it's still better than theirs.
Besides, there would then be no reason for folks to want or need to cross the border into the U.S. They'd already be there.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,565,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Legalize Drugs=A good percentage of society totally reliant on the government to support them.
Are they not already?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM

659 posts, read 1,082,008 times
Quote:
So what do you have to say about those already addicted to drugs? They just don't exist? Because, (according to your logic) people will only become addicted to drugs when they are legalized. I guess the druggies we have here now just don't count huh?

Quote:
Did you know that alcohol is in the same category (level of toxicity and dangerousness) as heroin; the supposedly most addictive drug known to man? If people don't do drugs today, once they are legal, they won't do them then. Cigarettes are legal for me to buy, but you won't see me going into tom thumb and buying a five cartons and chain smoking them back to back.

It's a jump in logic to think that once drugs become legalized we will have drug addicts everywhere. At least then, we could regulate the market (just like we have done with alcohol and cigarettes) and the crime rate would drop overnight.

Quote:
I agree. I just do not get those folks who want to legalize drugs, which would be akin to our government endorsing drug use! I'm sorry but just because Mexico is supplying harmful illicit substances to lawbreaking citizens does not mean that the US is responsible for their corruption and crime. This is the fault of the Mexican government, pure and simple!
You are doing a wonderful job denying facts.

Fact: the Mexican government IS NOT - I repeat - IS NOT the ones supplying us with drugs. IT IS THE DRUG CARTELS doing so. They are two separate and different entities. In fact, the Mexican government is fighting against the drug cartels as we speak - and they are losing, badly.

Fact: Mexico wouldn't have powerful cartels able to undermine their government if we DID NOT BUY DRUGS FROM THEM. I repeat; IF WE DID NOT BUY DRUGS FROM THEM, there would be no powerful cartels. Do you need that run by you once more?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,397,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Giving 700 million another country to fix THEIR problems is not helping OUR economy. It won't even help them put a dent in the Drug Cartel problem.

700 million employing border patrol, more check point throughout border states, and building more observations towers on the US side......at least that employs and defends.Yeah, we need to defend ourselves from the country we woo constantly.

We've been so lax about Mexico and the border for decades, nothing is going to fix it short of an armed standoff at the border.
How much more money do they need from our country? I wonder if this has anything to do with not being able to get amnesty passed so they are going this route instead. We must stop this make the calls, faxes and e-mails to your elected officials.

Boom in Global Cash Transmittals to Mexico Philippines India Brazil

Read more: "Western Union Money Transfers: Boom in Global Cash Transmittals to Mexico Philippines India Brazil" - Western Union Money Transfers: Boom in Global Cash Transmittals to Mexico Philippines India Brazil

Some 200 million workers live outside their home countries to earn higher wages, part of which is sent to sustain their families back home. Mexico followed by the Philippines and India are the top nations for receiving money transfers.

Read more: "Western Union Money Transfers: Boom in Global Cash Transmittals to Mexico Philippines India Brazil" - Western Union Money Transfers: Boom in Global Cash Transmittals to Mexico Philippines India Brazil

According to Aite Group, foreign labourers will transfer about US$289 billion to their homelands in 2007.

Western Union Money Transfers: Boom in Global Cash Transmittals to Mexico Philippines India Brazil

Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,828,232 times
Mexico will probably take the money and spread it among their elite and do nothing else. Mexico is a corrupt country; even more so than the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies