Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So Geithner either couldn't or wouldn't answer her question?

That's what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
It was a time-wasting question. If Bachmann wants to challenge the legislation's constitutionality, she is free to do so, but that'd be a question for congress, would it not?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:

U.S. Treasury - Fact Sheet on the Act of Congress Establishing the Treasury Department

Geithner's reply was very polite IMO.

"R-Neptune", haha

Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
How nice to know that the Dept of the Treasury is correctly established. I was worried for a minute there.

Back to the subject:
What's the answer to her question?

"Can you point to the part of the Constitution that allows the Treasury Department to take the actions it has taken?"

I assume she's talking about bailing out companies that were in danger of failing (actually that was done by an act of Congress). Probably wasn't talking about the government controlling the salaries of people in various companies, and/or seizing those companies.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
How nice to know that the Dept of the Treasury is correctly established. I was worried for a minute there.

Back to the subject:
What's the answer to her question?

"Can you point to the part of the Constitution that allows the Treasury Department to take the actions it has taken?"

I assume she's talking about bailing out companies that were in danger of failing (actually that was done by an act of Congress). Probably wasn't talking about the government controlling the salaries of people in various companies, and/or seizing those companies.
It's a stupid question. Does she think Geithner is "seizing control" illegally, and just no one in Congress happens to notice?

Geithner's plan: Geithner: My Plan for Bad Bank Assets - WSJ.com

Check out some thoughtful arguments for and against it - WSJ.com Forums :: View topic - My Plan for Bad Bank Assets

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
And Obama campaigned in 57 states.
His reason was exhaustion. Is that the only glitch you can come up with? No comparison between the two. Ask Tina Fay.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
little acorn wrote;
Quote:
Let me try to explain this in words that even Michelle Bachmann and you can understand; The Constitution give Congress the power to write legislation, they did it, the President signed it and the Treasury (part of the Executive branch) is carrying out the law as written by Congress, of which Bachmann is a member!

It's kind of like most of us learned in 8th or 9th grade; 3 branches of government, Legislative writes laws, Judiciary decides on their Constituionality and Legislative carries out those laws. There's nothing in the Constitution about lots of different things, but there sure are laws about them.

Somehow missed that day of school I guess. I'm sure Bernanke and Geithner were thinking, "sheesh, the economy is in meltdown and I'm explaining Civics class to this whacko".

golfgod

Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
little acorn wrote;

Let me try to explain this in words that even Michelle Bachmann and you can understand; The Constitution give Congress the power to write legislation, they did it, the President signed it and the Treasury (part of the Executive branch) is carrying out the law as written by Congress,
That's all there is to it? Congress can write legislation on anything, with no limits? How refreshing.

So, if Congress writes a bill tomorrow that says we can now take black people off the street, put chains on them, and force them to work on our farms for poor room and board and no wages, and the President signs it, then it will be law that we must all obey?

This is simpler than I thought.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
little-acorn wrote;
Quote:
So, if Congress writes a bill tomorrow that says we can now take black people off the street, put chains on them, and force them to work on our farms for poor room and board and no wages, and the President signs it, then it will be law that we must all obey?
Well probably not this Congress, it would probably go down 250 to 100 with some R abstentions in the House and about 60 to 25 in the Senate. But some recent Congressional make ups, possibly. If Taney (upheld Dred Scott) were in the Supreme Court then it might be upheld. Fortunately for our country he's not.

Now, if a state leg wrote a law that if you continually make an a** of yourself on national TV and behave like a raving lunatic you could be recalled from Congress, then Bachmann might have something to worry about. Especially as a Congressperson who knows so little about how laws are written and enacted.

golfgod

Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Well probably not this Congress,
But if it DID get passed by Congress, and signed by the President, then everything would be just ducky? We could go ahead and do what that law said, and there would be nothing to stop us?

(BTW, what color are you? And what's your ankle and wrist size?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies