Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,226,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Take a look at what stocks are going up....

Banks....the same banks that are failing....the same banks that are running the show....and extorting our money from their friends in the Treasury Dept.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's NOT just banks that are going up - the broader market (including the NASDAQ, the S&P 500, and markets all around the world) are on an upward march as well.

Try again.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,655,590 times
This rally is truly difficult for Obama-haters to accept.

What do you say when the multi-faceted plan you spent months attacking as "destroying America" is proving to save it? As goes the U.S. in this situation, so goes the world. And all indicators in the market suggest we're coming out of it (though jobs are always the last to respond).

Just like Reagan's policies for his era dug us out of a liberal-caused recession by '83, all indications are that Obam's polices are digging us out of a conservative-caused recession.

Let us hope it lasts, for that is what Obama promised us and what he seems to be delivering.

(haha - I'm obnoxious )

Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,853,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Not doing anything ????

Ever heard of the G20 ????
Yes, he's at the G20, so tell me exactly what he's doing to help the market go up?

(hint, he's not helping it go up, he's simply not causing it to fall by not being around to open up his mouth )

Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,797,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, he's at the G20, so tell me exactly what he's doing to help the market go up?

(hint, he's not helping it go up, he's simply not causing it to fall by not being around to open up his mouth )
LOL....you Obama hater you.

I guess that is my issue,nothing much is being done to make things better but people seem more than willing to give credit to the person they voted for...and to entirely blame the bad times on the person they disliked.

When to me it is more to do with a unsustainable system that demands ever increasing levels of credit to grow.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
U.S. stocks raced higher Thursday, fueled by a reprieve from accounting rules that force banks to value soured credit bets based on the most recent trades.
Quote:
Bank stocks rallied as the Financial Accounting Standards Board voted to relax fair-value accounting rules, giving auditors more flexibility in valuing illiquid assets. Citigroup shares rose 6.3%, Bank of America gained 7%, and J.P. Morgan Chase rose 2%. The KBW Bank Index was up more than 4%. The step could enable greater lending activity to spur the broader economy. Banks may also not be as likely to take big write-downs. Critics say that altering the rules could make banks' financial health less transparent to investors.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/US-Stocks-Gain-DJIA-Rises/story.aspx?guid={6EE7D3E7-59E2-49EC-A0DE-94FE9C3E0843}

I believe this is LESS regulation...I thought y'all wanted more government control???

Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,655,590 times
But the flaw in your argument is that Obama has done a lot.

Both liberals and conservatives will not argue that he has done more in his first 2 months than any sitting president. He has spent more as well.

It was a huge gamble on his part - one for which he took a lot of heat - but he stuck by it.

The markets started rising as they rolled out the Treasury plans, adjusted regulations, established an optimistic attitude, and released the stimulus money into the market.

So, it is difficult not to attribute at least some of the credit to Obama and other credit to the cycles of economy.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,952,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

It must really hurt inside watching Obama succeed ???

As President Clinton once said .... Ah' feel your pain.

I'll let you figure out for yourself about how the G20 summit is affecting the Dow. I'm not an elementary school teacher.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Markets rose partly because regulations were loosened on banks reporting the value(or lack of) of 'toxic assets'....

Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,563,650 times
Default Hyperpartisanship

Two months ago, the sore losers were blaming the stock market's continuing plunge on Obama.

Now, they're hoping beyond hope that it falls again, so they can go back to that line of reasoning.

Country First, boys.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,853,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Now, they're hoping beyond hope that it falls again, so they can go back to that line of reasoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
It must really hurt inside watching Obama succeed ???
Yeah, it really hurts to see my stock portfolio double in a month.. I guess possibly once I look at the tax consequences of doing so..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies