Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Don't worry though just about everyone in this thread has no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the stock market, me included. But I guess it's fun to pretend for some people.
I'm up 95% in the last 30 days, most likely due to just dumb luck.. (2 stupid trades caused me to not hit 100%.. dumb ).. but I dont count, liberals will tell you how upset I am over the market is going up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But isnt that the way it is? Liberals jumped all up and down blaming Bush for the fall, they continue to blame him, so why wouldnt it be fair to blame Obama now? Lets not even discuss the fact that Obama talks about taking over businesses which of course no investor wants to be owning a stock in a company thats being run by the government..

The only businesses that i've heard the government discussed intervening where required are those businesses that accepted bailout money, but still are loosing money.

The same action occured last year with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack but it was done quietly. Its kind of a catch 22, this administration make an announcement for everything, there by having their actions scrutinized, where the former administrations kept things quiet.

Would you agree, if not for the stimulus, there would be no profit for these banks? I'm not saying, thanks to Obama considering the bailout was made on Bush watch, but this administration as well as Congress on both sides, have made it perfectly clear that another bailout will not be without consequences.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:28 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,719 times
Quote:
I'm up 95% in the last 30 days, most likely due to just dumb luck.. (2 stupid trades caused me to not hit 100%.. dumb ).. but I dont count, liberals will tell you how upset I am over the market is going up..
Much of market swings matters to different people in different ways. If you have money to play with, swings can help you.

If you are 58 years old and have invested in the market via your 401K your entire life and have lost half of what you expected to retire on, you won't have enough time to recoup your losses. The kids might not receive their inheritance. Because of the death tax, the government will get their hands on most of it before they do.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Much of market swings matters to different people in different ways. If you have money to play with, swings can help you.

If you are 58 years old and have invested in the market via your 401K your entire life and have lost half of what you expected to retire on, you won't have enough time to recoup your losses. The kids might not receive their inheritance. Because of the death tax, the government will get their hands on most of it before they do.
Get real... The estate tax only affects the top 1/10th of 1 percent of the population...

And if your 401k is lower - blame DUBYA and his Republican cronies...

DUBYA broke it ( a recurring theme in his life)...

Obama is fixing it...

Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The only businesses that i've heard the government discussed intervening where required are those businesses that accepted bailout money, but still are loosing money.
You see but government intervention (or threats of a takeover) scares the market. The government does not have the legal authority to take over these companies (per the US Supreme court, Youngstown Steel vs US Govt (president Roosevelt). The market gets afraid and people sell out every single time threats of a takeover, or dilusion of share value takes place. These companies had 100 other ways to raise capital and operate, and 100 other ways to cut expenses.

For example, the banks could sell most of their bad debt properties within a week for 100 cents on the dollar if they are willing to hold financing on them, but banks refuse to do so when the government is standing there handing out money to allow banks to hold off and sell for cash.

I hold no tears for the banks who refuse to operate with the goal of obtaining cash flow, and loaned money out ilresponsibly, the government who claims to need to bail out these companies and rich bankers while at the same time they caused the economic collapse, nor taxpayers for not understanding what took place and not only allowed it to happen, but encouraged it.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Get real... The estate tax only affects the top 1/10th of 1 percent of the population...

Obama is fixing it...
Accuse Bush of breaking something without any evidence to back it you..

A recurring theme in your life..

Obama fixing it? How? Bailing out rich bankers at taxpayers expense, thats how. Funny, that was Bushs' chosen method also..

Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Accuse Bush of breaking something without any evidence to back it you..

A recurring theme in your life..

Obama fixing it? How? Bailing out rich bankers at taxpayers expense, thats how. Funny, that was Bushs' chosen method also..
Are you back on your soapbox???

The 'facts' that you use to backup your arguments seem like nothing more than half truths and distortions....

I have to admit - you are totally predictable - and tireless!!!

ROFLMAO!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Are you back on your soapbox???

The 'facts' that you use to backup your arguments seem like nothing more than half truths and distortions....

I have to admit - you are totally predictable - and tireless!!!

ROFLMAO!!!
More troops in afghanistan, bailing out rich bankers, more spending, higher deficits, supporting wiretapping and easedrapping laws.. You'd swear I was talking about Bush, but noo... Obama..

Different face, more of the same, but dont worry, here goes something to drink..
http://hillbuzz.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/obama-kool-aid.jpg?w=281&h=401 (broken link)

Old 04-09-2009, 05:56 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,719 times
Quote:

Obama is fixing it...

Dang, Mr. Bob

Sometimes I like ya, and sometimes I just don't know.

It seems that you just don't want anyone to be wealthy. Also, I'll have to check into your stated statistics.

If a family owns a farm, and much of what it is worth gets grubbed through an estate tax, so Pelosi can spend it on illegal alien programs, justice has once again not been served.

I hope that you believe in capitalism. Much of American wealth
( and yes, trickle down wealth ) occurs when wealthy families are allowed to keep their money and continue spending, noteably by providing jobs.

Money doesn't just grow on trees. Unless you print it out of thin air.

Before I blame your arch enemy for the collapse of today's economy, I will blame Barney Frank ( and you know why ) and the Democratic Congress.

What do you think of that? ............ I already know.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Dang, Mr. Bob

Sometimes I like ya, and sometimes I just don't know.

It seems that you just don't want anyone to be wealthy. Also, I'll have to check into your stated statistics.

If a family owns a farm, and much of what it is worth gets grubbed through an estate tax, so Pelosi can spend it on illegal alien programs, justice has once again not been served.

I hope that you believe in capitalism. Much of American wealth
( and yes, trickle down wealth ) occurs when wealthy families are allowed to keep their money and continue spending, noteably by providing jobs.

Money doesn't just grow on trees. Unless you print it out of thin air.

Before I blame your arch enemy for the collapse of today's economy, I will blame Barney Frank ( and you know why ) and the Democratic Congress.

What do you think of that? ............ I already know.
I definitely DO NOT believe in Trickle Down Economics...

It is the Great Lie propogated by Reagan. Even Bush Sr called it 'Voodoo Economics'...

Frank, Dodd, and most especially DUBYA are all responsible for the economic meltdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies