Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think we would have been better off allowing AIG and C to go bankrupt, it surely would have been a lot cheaper to the taxpayers, let alone a 50% drop in the dow..

You sure about that? I find it interesting that no one has done any type of statistics on this. The what if scenerio...what impacts to the economy and nation if the government in 2008 did not bailout the banks and auto industry...what would the trickle down affect be?

All we hear is it would have been better...the government should have done nothing...What would have been the impact...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,902 times
Quote:
Than you hold the wrong position in the market. My stocks climbed another 10% today and I'm holding stocks that I'll sell tomorrow for another 10% gain..
I'm fairly certain we don't need your financial advice.
Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
You sure about that? I find it interesting that no one has done any type of statistics on this. The what if scenerio...what impacts to the economy and nation if the government in 2008 did not bailout the banks and auto industry...what would the trickle down affect be?

All we hear is it would have been better...the government should have done nothing...What would have been the impact...
I am all for free market. I would have liked less government interference and like the idea of the market making corrections.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:

No, I'm not sure, it was an educated guess, the reason I stated "I think". There should be some type of study though to analize the results. You just cant go running deficits without long term negative affect upon the economy.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I'm fairly certain we don't need your financial advice.
Thanks, but no thanks.
Good, I didnt offer it, had I done so, I would have told you where I stand on what stocks..

Old 03-30-2009, 02:10 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,222 times
Quote:
No, I'm not sure, it was an educated guess, the reason I stated "I think". There should be some type of study though to analize the results. You just cant go running deficits without long term negative affect upon the economy.

I believe this is the first time we've agreed on something. I believe that they should have done sometype of analysis last year before shelling out money to the Banks and Auto Industry. Maybe if they did, the voters would have a clear understanding of whats going on. Right now everyone is speculating and in an uproar, who's right? We won't know, because they did not do the math before hand.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
I believe there was 'no time' to even discuss this and the other bailouts...

It was VERY urgent otherwise billions of dollars would be lost.

Hmmmm, billions of dollars HAVE been lost.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I believe there was 'no time' to even discuss this and the other bailouts...

It was VERY urgent otherwise billions of dollars would be lost.

Hmmmm, billions of dollars HAVE been lost.
Dont kid yourself, if I recall it was quite some time between the original proposal for a bailout and the financing. In addition, there was nothing that would have stopped the companies from filing bankruptcy, only to have it discharged if and when the government then came in with a bailout.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I believe this is the first time we've agreed on something. I believe that they should have done sometype of analysis last year before shelling out money to the Banks and Auto Industry. Maybe if they did, the voters would have a clear understanding of whats going on. Right now everyone is speculating and in an uproar, who's right? We won't know, because they did not do the math before hand.
You will find my postings very consistant, I'm all for balanced budgets, fiscal responsibilities, encouraging individuals to be responsible for their families with a safety net, not full governmental support, and not leaving my children tens of trillions of dollar in debt to pay back. Regarless as to who is in the whitehouse, my views on these issues never change.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
So why didn't they do some kind of analysis before shelling out hundreds of billions of our dollars to them?

The problem is that root causes were not and are not addressed. Why are Americans falling behind so fast? Globalism and the export of jobs but that has not been addressed. Unions are far behind the times because they should have seen where all this globalist export of jobs and import of cheap labor would lead, but they didn't and now they have to face the music.

CEO's raiding corporations, running their companies into the ground and meanwhile raking millions of dollars but the billions in bailouts certainly didn't address mismanagement and greed.

No one wants to address the root causes, I suppose because that would be politically uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies