Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's usually not the word itself that's so offensive, but the intent behind the word. I live in the Ozarks. I don't mind being called a hillbilly because I live there.
If that is the case, can I assume that you understand the difference between some young hip-hop kid calling his pals the n word while finding the usage by some middle class white contributor to a forum as being highly offensive?

By the way, do you disagree that if some visiting non-hillbilly were to seek out an upscale beverage at the local Ozark gin joint and started pontificating on the reasons for poverty in the region being one of reliance of government largesse that the locals would view this a just inoffensive barroom banter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Exactly, any word that is intended to put you in your place, to lessen you as a human being, to diminish your thoughts, words, feelings, or actions, is an insult. I've heard the word "hairdresser" used that way. People on the receiving end of such insults know that it's not the word, it's the implication that you are somehow less than the name-caller that is the insult.
You can add politician, lawyer, Muslim, cop, atheist and a large number of other words (names) to the list that "could" be used as an insult. Where does it stop?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If that is the case, can I assume that you understand the difference between some young hip-hop kid calling his pals the n word while finding the usage by some middle class white contributor to a forum as being highly offensive?

By the way, do you disagree that if some visiting non-hillbilly were to seek out an upscale beverage at the local Ozark gin joint and started pontificating on the reasons for poverty in the region being one of reliance of government largesse that the locals would view this a just inoffensive barroom banter?
Why, yes, I do understand that when my brother calls me a hillbilly at the July 4 picnic when I suggest we all go crawdadding, that it's an entirely different thing than when someone on this forum calls me a hillbilly because I suggest that part of the reason why Oklahoma voted so pro-Republican was because the Democrats didn't campaign there. I do understand the difference when I try to provide a reason why someone might fly the Confederate flag that has nothing to do with racism, and people on this forum scream I must be a racist.

And there aren't any gin joints in my part of Arkansas, but if some pontificating ass came into Ozark Brewing Co, and started talking about hillbillies on welfare, I might point out to him that Arkansas has some of the lowest welfare statistics in the country, and that at 6.1% unemployment, we're pretty much all working as well. Since it's doubtful his intent had anything to do with harmless barroom banter.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Why, yes, I do understand that when my brother calls me a hillbilly at the July 4 picnic when I suggest we all go crawdadding, that it's an entirely different thing than when someone on this forum calls me a hillbilly because I suggest that part of the reason why Oklahoma voted so pro-Republican was because the Democrats didn't campaign there. I do understand the difference when I try to provide a reason why someone might fly the Confederate flag that has nothing to do with racism, and people on this forum scream I must be a racist.

And there aren't any gin joints in my part of Arkansas, but if some pontificating ass came into Ozark Brewing Co, and started talking about hillbillies on welfare, I might point out to him that Arkansas has some of the lowest welfare statistics in the country, and that at 6.1% unemployment, we're pretty much all working as well. Since it's doubtful his intent had anything to do with harmless barroom banter.
Then you have people that don't have to speak a word, just their facial expressions and body movements say what they're thinking. Their views are in their minds...regardless whether they use such words or not.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post

An example would be the writings of Mark Twain, what once was colorful descriptive text became a racial slur.
that always was a racial **** fool, whch liberals are you talking about what era?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:13 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,100 times
This brings in the case of "Indian groups" being offended at school nicknames. In the city of Virginia TEch, Blacksburg Virginia, there was a high school called the Blacksburg Indians. About eight years ago, ONE person living in Blacksburg who founded an "organization" that objected to Indian monikers, made a big stink about the nickname. Well, Blacksburg, being a typical liberal university town, sucked up and made the switch to the bland "Blacksburg Bruins". Blech. The alums hated it. Many of the students hated it, but the PC crap prevailed.

If you remember also, the Stanford University 'Cardinal" used to be the Stanford Indians. Same PC crap prevailed there, as well. Not surprisingly, Stanford is in the hub of extreme liberalism. (In 2003 the Stanford band dressed up for football games as French soldiers to protest the war in Iraq)

The realty is, most Indians (Sorry, I refuse to go in for the "Native American' nonsense) either don't care about or approve of sports nicknames. Washington Redskins, Illinois Illini, Utah Utes, Florida State Seminoles. Many of these groups are proud their tribes are represented. Most Indians who follow the Washington Redskins would strongly object if the nickname were changed, I'm sure. Who the hell would want to sing "Hail to the Bruins"?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Why, yes, I do understand that when my brother calls me a hillbilly at the July 4 picnic when I suggest we all go crawdadding
Excuse me, but what is crawdadding? It sounds like some sort of sinister code word.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM

BTW, I'm half Irish, ask me how much I care that Notre Dame calls itself the Irish? And you professional victims out there can't say "Oh, well. The Irish weren't oppressed like blacks or Native Americans". BS. Look at how Irish immigrants were treated in the tolerant city of Boston in the 1800s. Ask the Irish men who got the hell beat out of them in the steel mills of Pittsburgh during the 1890's. The Irish and Hungarians. Lowest end of the food chain back then.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
BTW, I'm half Irish, ask me how much I care that Notre Dame calls itself the Irish? And you professional victims out there can't say "Oh, well. The Irish weren't oppressed like blacks or Native Americans". BS. Look at how Irish immigrants were treated in the tolerant city of Boston in the 1800s. Ask the Irish men who got the hell beat out of them in the steel mills of Pittsburgh during the 1890's. The Irish and Hungarians. Lowest end of the food chain back then.
Good point. My local high school team's nickanme is The Saxons. Kind of makes me want to paint myself blue and split someone open with a battle-axe.

And I don't care who knows it.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Good point. My local high school team's nickanme is The Saxons. Kind of makes me want to paint myself blue and split someone open with a battle-axe.

And I don't care who knows it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies