Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have friends of all political persuasions. Of all ethnic backgrounds. Of different sexual orientation.

And there is nothing better than getting all of our friends together for drinks, BBQ and for some, a GREAT Cigar - and discuss how each of us would save the world.

No, I have never lost a friend over political differences.

Now - there are some here I would never invite to my home - KevK is one of them. Bigots like Kev are not welcome
That's right.Life is good,suppose to be anyway,and life is positive when you surround yourself around positive people.A person's uniqueness will shine through or not no matter their political or religious affiliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:18 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
One of my dearest friends is liberal and I'd never let politics decide the fate of our friendship. He's one of the nicest, decent, and most intelligent people that I know. We discuss politics from time to time, but just agree to disagree on some points. Good, decent people come from all over the political spectrum.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
I don't talk politics with my friends.. but I think that we are pretty similar in our political tastes.. because I don't think we'd be friends if we didn't share the same beliefs or even moral structure. I did find out that a friend that I was really close to for a long time after H.S is VERY Republican right wing conservative and it doesn't surprise me.. Politics didn't play into our friendship split.... but I think the fundamentals of her beliefs and my beliefs ultimately was the difference.. even though we didn't know that then.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I don't talk politics with my friends..
I'm the opposite - we talk politics all the time - as I mentioned - we have parties to do just that - we argue - we point fingers - we laugh - we groan

To me, it would be a very dull and boring world if everyone had the same beliefs.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I don't talk politics with my friends.. but I think that we are pretty similar in our political tastes.. because I don't think we'd be friends if we didn't share the same beliefs or even moral structure. I did find out that a friend that I was really close to for a long time after H.S is VERY Republican right wing conservative and it doesn't surprise me.. Politics didn't play into our friendship split.... but I think the fundamentals of her beliefs and my beliefs ultimately was the difference.. even though we didn't know that then.
I have had it happen on a few occasions that people I knew pretty well and assumed, since they were so normal and rational that they were conservatives. And then come to find that they were as liberal as can be. It is pretty funny and a reminder of our own biases.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:39 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
A good friend of mine works for the City and since the City is upside down financially he hates everyone since his pay and job have taken some hits. Why he isn't mad at his Union is beyond me as the tax payers didn't do it.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
since they were so normal and rational that they were conservatives.
Paleeeeeeeeeeeeeze...

Old 04-13-2009, 02:10 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
I have never lost any freinds over politics, I can remember a couple dates being cut short or having no contact beyond the first date over such things though. This was in my much younger days when I was living in the city. The city girls liked my country boy demeanor the beat up Wranglers, and nasty ol' cowboy hat, Lol, but not the 'cowboy' attitude on life that goes with my upbringing. Conversation always seemed to invariably turn to subjects like gun control, animal rights, et al and that would be the end of that. The university was not a good place for me to meet ladyfolk it seems.. At least not for lasting relationships. All my real friends and I see pretty much eye to eye on most political issues and my wife is what I call a 'political agnostic'. We have never had a disagreement over politics because she has no real position or need to have one. It's actually kinda cool.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Very - because you may have missed out on traits that are far more precious than a friendship based on shared political thinking.
I guess it depends on how important your politics are to you. They are very important to me. I view Republicans as my enemies and the enemies of all working people. Their only goal is to do harm to me and my family- no different than a burglar who breaks into my house at night as we sleep. If you steal my job, wages and benefits then you are harming my family. The trouble is that I cal legally shoot the burglar but I cannot the Republicans. But I sure as hell don't wish to rub elbows with them either.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Since I would never knowingly befriend a black to start with, no I have not lost any because I never had any to begin with.

Since I would never knowingly befriend a Jew to start with, no I have not lost any because I never had any to begin with.

Since I would never knowingly befriend a Gay to start with, no I have not lost any because I never had any to begin with.

Since I would never knowingly befriend a woman to start with, no I have not lost any because I never had any to begin with.

See, Kev, bigotry and discrimination is bigotry and discrimination. I hope you get it, but sadly, I doubt it.
Those are all things you are born with. You are not born a Republican or a Democrat. Those are choices you make. You are either this or you are that. You chose to be. No different than if you choose to be a criminal, a liar, a thief or a child molester. I don't befriend them either and to prove I am not totally partisan I would not allow a slimeball like Bill Clinton near my home either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies