Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:29 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,918 times

Advertisements

Yep, I lost a small handful this last election cycle. They fit the profile of the typical Hate filled fear mongering NeoCon. We have not spoken in months. No big deal, you lose friends and you gain friends all through life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
No. Religion and politics is not discussed with friends, nor at the dining table with the family, except for praying before eating.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
I'd say that an ex-friend's poltical persuasion did not help the matter, however it was not the foremost reason why we are not friends anymore. But, it also didn't help.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Most of my friends are smart and are already liberal.

I had one friend who woke up one day and suddenly found Jesus. No joke. He became Republican in one day. Before this? He was constantly talking about how bad George Bush was. He was for Kerry in 2004. Somewhere in 2006 or 2007, he just woke up and said "I am Republican."

We got into a lot of bitter arguments. He said my religious beliefs were wrong and I was walking off the cliff to hell and he wanted to help me. He never used to say crap like that before. It was after he suddenly had this change.

We made up each time we fought. We both one day said "its ok if we disagree on politics (now) and religion." We talk about it sometimes but not so much. He really dislikes Obama and I really like Obama.

It was just odd how quickly he changed. He went from supporting Kerry and bashing Bush to being part of the twenty percent that still supported him.

I hope he is ok. What a sudden change.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:46 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Most of my friends are smart and are already liberal.

I had one friend who woke up one day and suddenly found Jesus. No joke. He became Republican in one day. Before this? He was constantly talking about how bad George Bush was. He was for Kerry in 2004. Somewhere in 2006 or 2007, he just woke up and said "I am Republican."

We got into a lot of bitter arguments. He said my religious beliefs were wrong and I was walking off the cliff to hell and he wanted to help me. He never used to say crap like that before. It was after he suddenly had this change.

We made up each time we fought. We both one day said "its ok if we disagree on politics (now) and religion." We talk about it sometimes but not so much. He really dislikes Obama and I really like Obama.

It was just odd how quickly he changed. He went from supporting Kerry and bashing Bush to being part of the twenty percent that still supported him.

I hope he is ok. What a sudden change.
That's very odd...however, I think we call those people "born agains". That's too bad that happened. I have friends that I used to be best friends w/in like high school & now they are...very different from me. I don't know what happened, but when I got together w/one of them during Clinton's presidency, it didn't go very well.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
No. I would never alienate or break off a relationship with a friend just because of politics. That would be heartless. Just like humans are all different in many ways, there are also tons of differing political views to a point that no two people are alike. There might be similarities, that is what parties are for, but in reality, very few people are going to think exactly the same way unless they are radicals.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I have never let politics get that much of a hold over my life that I've lost friends over it.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:20 PM

24 posts, read 127,681 times
Exclamation Politics

Yes, I have lost friends over politics & it was their choice to end the friendship!!! I tried to keep it going, but it didn't work.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:30 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Anyone who ends a friendship over what the other person thinks about political issues is an extremist [MOD CUT/inappropriate] Good God, get a life.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-13-2009 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
If you're talking about friendship and not superficial relationships, politics can't destroy a friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies