Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Here's the thing. Whether you want to admit it or not, gays ARE different. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

But is being different such a bad thing? To some, yes. To others, no. So why not surround yourself with the people who have no problem with you being different, and ignore those who do.
I totally agree with you on this. With the right attitude, being different can feel great. And obviously, it doesn't apply only to homosexuality. Lots of people are different from the norm in many different ways.

Quote:
But YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to whine and moan and complain if straight people don't get all warm and fuzzy with you and embrace your lifestyle.
No, actually people do have a right to whine and moan about whatever they want. What gave you the idea that whining about something is illegal? And why do you refer to homosexuality as a "lifestyle"? What is the "gay lifestyle", in your opinion?

Quote:
But clearly most gays want WAY more than that. They want straight people to validate them.
Really? What do you think that "most gays" want? And what do you mean by "validate"? I will say that, yes, most gay people would like to see society become better educated about sexual orientation, but "validating"? No, most gays just want to live their lives, free of discrimination and persecution.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're telling us that you're exposed to gay public sex throughout the Dallas-Ft. Worth metro area for an entire week every year? Honey, you're about as homophobic as they come. Or maybe you're hallucinating.

If I don't like something, then I look the other way. No one is forcing you to look. You seem really obsessed with homosexuality.
It's hard not to "look" when you stumble upon an event by accident. If an event is held in public then there will be those who will stumble upon it by accident. If the sponsors and participants of gay pride events and parades want to include lewd behavior then these events should be held behind closed doors as an "adults only" type of event. Most parents do not wish to have their children expose to lewd behavior in public, whether it be a homosexual or heterosexual celebration.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Well, that's reality for you. Sometimes reality sucks.

Yep, but that's still progress. Twenty years ago, I wouldn't have dared to kiss another guy (even just a quick kiss) in a public place. Now, I would. I still feel like I have to be aware of my surroundings, but for the most part, I don't worry about it.

As I write this, however, I can't help but wonder about the straight people reading this. I wonder if they've ever had to worry about who might be looking at them when they kiss their significant other in public.
I think straights and gays should be more discrete in public. I've encountered quite a number of straights who, let's just say, should have be in a hotel room not out in public with their PDA's.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times
[quote=Miborn;8067048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atyourbest View Post
I often wonder if this may be a legitimate feeling that has arisen among many gays and lesbians. I can speak for myself in saying that I have never been too fond of heterosexuals.
Regardless of how "tolerant" and "accepting" they claim to be, you're always aware of the fact that you have "other" status in their eyes, and your sexual orientation is what distinguishes you.
In this sense, you are invariably a spectacle, an ongoing but never fully understood or acknowledged experiment in humanity.

This is of your own making when you live in a society that deems whatever is acceptable or not acceptable than to live within this society one must conform to what has been deemed.
When you are talking about racism or abuse those things do change within the society's framework.
But what you are talking about someones "sexual" orientation well that is just another story altogether.
It appears to be "you" that has trouble living among us. Yet you expect us to be more than the tolerant accepting heterosexuals you say we "claim" to be!
What kind of a statement is that! I'll tell you who makes a statement like that is.
Someone who is very unhappy within themselves who is trying to project it onto others unsuccessfully so now you cannot tolerate heterosexuals altogether now!

Here is my advice. Why don't you and others that feel like that all get together start your own town or better yet take over one that has only a few hundred you can overtake the heteros.
Then you can live amongst yourselves and be happy right?

This is what living in a straight society that relishes male-female relations has done to gays and lesbians. Once the social-sexual categories of straight, gay, and bisexual were defined decades ago, the battle lines were drawn and everyone unconsciously chose sides.
Gays must "prove" that we are deserving of equal rights.
We must "prove" that we did not make a choice. We must "prove" that our love is the same as our heterosexual counterparts. And in the midst of this, we are contradicted, mocked, scorned, and distorted.

Oh and the definement was set centuries ago not decades like it has always been wrong in societys eyes.
You are way off base Gays do have equal rights like every other citizen in this country except for the marriage yet you can do whatever you want to commit to eachother you can leave your belongings to eachother and make medical decisions for eachother.
It is really "NO" different than hetero's that choose to live together without being married. It is their choice just like it is yours.

I find myself becoming increasingly agitated, and that is why I have ran out of patience and don't feel the need to try anymore.

Interesting so than we should have no paitence with you when you people expect us to what draw blood as you said yourself you are not happy with us just being accepting. I'd say you are the one with the problem. Maybe we should come to your neighborhood and have a Heterosexual pride parade and flaunt ourselves in front of your home. Bet you would not like that.

I simply cannot and will not respect a dissenting opinion on being gay, and I cannot accept the question of "why" I am gay. Maybe, just maybe, the appropriate question is and always has been: Why are you straight?

Well that is what you are funny how you have a problem with what you say you are! Maybe some counseling would be in order and help you not be so angry or unhappy.

what a great post! did you read mine up a bit...I recommended he buy an island and 'they' can all live there..and ban us heteros, so God forbid we aren't able to make them uncomfortable anymore!

it completely sounds like this person is very unhappy inside....and is in dire need of therapy. I am being serious here. why be so unhappy...we only live once!

I Love this saying-

"The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present."

Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,726 times
Quote:
Really? What do you think that "most gays" want? And what do you mean by "validate"? I will say that, yes, most gay people would like to see society become better educated about sexual orientation, but "validating"? No, most gays just want to live their lives, free of discrimination and persecution.
Just exactly how do you want to better educate society about sexual orientation? It seems pretty black and white to me. You're either sexually attracted to the opposite sex, the same sex, or both. What's not to understand?

For many of us who are attracted only to the opposite sex, we don't identify with those of you attracted to the same sex. And you're not going to "educate" us into feeling any different. That kind of thinking is on a par with religious zealots thinking they can preach the gayness out of homosexuals.

You say most gays just want to live their lives free of persecution and discrimination. True, but it goes beyond that. Gays want straights to accept them and condone their lifestyle. Gays want to be considered completely normal. And this is where many straight people (myself included) draw the line. We will not persecute you or discriminate against you, but we don't have to celebrate you either.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Just exactly how do you want to better educate society about sexual orientation? It seems pretty black and white to me. You're either sexually attracted to the opposite sex, the same sex, or both. What's not to understand?
Okay, but then you also have some strongly negative opinions about gays, so I don't think it's as simple for you as you proclaim.

Also, when there's still a lot of people who want to see gay people shot dead simply because they don't like gays, well, I think there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Quote:
That kind of thinking is on a par with religious zealots thinking they can preach the gayness out of homosexuals.
I really don't know what you're talking about. Educating people about sexual orientation is not preaching. If you believe that, then you must also believe that teaching multiplication to children is "preaching" mathematics.

Quote:
Gays want straights to accept them and condone their lifestyle. Gays want to be considered completely normal. And this is where many straight people (myself included) draw the line. We will not persecute you or discriminate against you, but we don't have to celebrate you either.
You're really homophobic, you know that? Blankets statements about all gays make that obvious.

I don't even know what you mean by "drawing the line". Human sexuality can be very fluid, and the world isn't black and white.

I hope you have a gay son!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I recommended he buy an island and 'they' can all live there.
Yeah, that was really nice of you. And oh-so-funny.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:

For many of us who are attracted only to the opposite sex, we don't identify with those of you attracted to the same sex. And you're not going to "educate" us into feeling any different. That kind of thinking is on a par with religious zealots thinking they can preach the gayness out of homosexuals.

You say most gays just want to live their lives free of persecution and discrimination. True, but it goes beyond that. Gays want straights to accept them and condone their lifestyle. Gays want to be considered completely normal. And this is where many straight people (myself included) draw the line. We will not persecute you or discriminate against you, but we don't have to celebrate you either.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:13 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone wants a celebration, but rather an acceptance that, truthfully, we don't know what is normal. We know of the majority is, but we don't know the bounds of normality. I mean just recently we found out that there are real biological differences between sexuals and asexuals. We are finding out that being homosexual is some degree genetic. This is what is meant about better educating. Also, acting as mature adults concerning sexuality. Not saying "eww gross two girls kissing". Don't look. It's not lewd.

Nobody wants you to say "Gays! Rah Rah Rah!!!!" But, at least saying, "Meh, it's not evil or gross, just not my thing." That's a more mature standpoint. And actually the both sides can relate. Both sides want to be with the one you love.

Education simply means getting the facts and presenting them. Religious zealots present non-facts as facts. I like my brother's standpoint and dealing with me, my sexuality is a non-issue. It doesn't define me. It's just a facet of who I am.

Sexuality shouldn't define you. If your pre-occupation is saying "Gays! Eww!" or "Straights! Bigots" or "Bisexuals! Whores!" or even "Asexuals! Freaks!" (not that anyone said the last two but that's the stereotype for both), then you seriously need education concerning sexuality and what is considered normal.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:00 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Hey OP--

What you are doing isn't helping accomplish what you would like to have happen in society-- acceptance. You would be much happier if you would just accept yourself first. Believing that you will never be seen as a worthwhile part of the vast majority of society means that you see yourself as being inadequate. You need to get a grip and stop that.

If you partake in certain substances, stop. You sound like you've gone a little too deep into a hole of paranoia. If you don't, get some support or counseling somewhere. Hell, get it even if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies