Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
True.
fallin out of my own chair... sanrene admitting all things righteous are not necessarily R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
fallin out of my own chair... sanrene admitting all things righteous are not necessarily R
As you said, this is an issue pretty much everyone agrees on. And sadly it is an issue that almost all politicians don't want to touch with a ten foot pool. How to force the issue, I wonder? I mean, reps have been complaining about their parties dishonesty when it came to illegal immigration and amnesty but still look who the GOP put forward to run for potus? A strong believer in illegal immigration.
It frustrates me no end that both parties turn a deaf ear to the people in favor of cozening up to lobbyists and voting blocs.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I mean, reps have been complaining about their parties dishonesty when it came to illegal immigration and amnesty but still look who the GOP put forward to run for potus?
It was mainly the conservatives rising up against their own party to stop the bill that congress would have sent to bush, who would have signed it.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:00 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
As you said, this is an issue pretty much everyone agrees on. And sadly it is an issue that almost all politicians don't want to touch with a ten foot pool. How to force the issue, I wonder? I mean, reps have been complaining about their parties dishonesty when it came to illegal immigration and amnesty but still look who the GOP put forward to run for potus? A strong believer in illegal immigration.
It frustrates me no end that both parties turn a deaf ear to the people in favor of cozening up to lobbyists and voting blocs.
It frustrates me even more seeing the catholic church deciding to push their agenda in american politics. They're la raza fans it would appear, and they seriously need to be smacked down over it. The pope does not dictate american law. NO WAY! NO HOW!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 AM

488 posts, read 1,176,761 times
I agree with the OP. If you're going to live in this country (whether legal or illegal) learn the language.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The same people in this thread that are saying that we shouldnt cater to Spanish Speaking citizens dont realize that their is a good chance they had ancestors that came over to this country speaking another language.

The very foundation of this country is based on the fact that we are a melting pot of all nationalities.

English is not the official language of the US and should never be. We were built welcoming people of all backgrounds and languages and it should remain that way.
Matter of fact, my parents themselves are immigrants-both from completely different countries. But they learned the language and customs of the U.S and assimilated into society, not expecting everyone else to cater to them.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
So why is the president emphasizing the language of only ONE group of immigrants versus the others. What makes that group's language and culture more valuable than the language and culture of other immigrant groups.
Because they are a powerful voting block! Gee. It's crazy to think that politicians might focus on a group that can generate significant political power for them. There's a reason you don't see politicians spending much time on Native American reservations - they are a minority with specific interests that do not deliver much political capital. Hispanics - like blue collar workers or urban blacks or another other significant demographic return results.

Quote:
The benefit of any system is that it is uniform. Like currency. Like schoolastic aptitude. Like a million other things that predicate on standards for interface of multi culturalism.

They arent interested in an inclusive society. They're interested in recreating latin america on north american soil and overriding our system with there own. Lets put it to a vote, shall we?
We could just push all the Hispanics into state sanctioned schools, change their names to Leroy and Buster, and force them to forget their native tongue. While we're at it, let's get them to drop their spirituality and adopt a new one of our choosing.

That worked really well when our government did it the first time with indigenous peoples. You're promoting the same basic thing.

So, if you really want uniformity in the name of ease and unity, I'm all for it. Do not complain, however, when we go to a global currency and global governance based on two or three languages to make functioning in a global society easier.

You just have to be consistent. And the notion of standardized testing as any indication of intelligence or learning is certainly easy, but it doesn't begin to address the unique nature of individuals succeeding or failing. Using government of the people to force one language on those people is the same way - the easy solution.

Let the markets decide what language people speak. They'll find one or two or three.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Is the outrage only because it's on American soil? I can think of a few presidents that spoke native tongue on travel ventures.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why, I about fell out of my chair, MF.

Are you sure you're not just pulling our legs regarding your outrage?

Surely you must realize that obama/dems are pandering to the hispanic vote because they feel that winning hispanics in future elections is the key to maintaining their power.
Consider this a rep for you because I have to spread it around before I can give you more.

This is exactly the point in a nutshell. And not only do they feel it's the key to their winning future elections, it is the key to their winning.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Let the markets decide what language people speak. They'll find one or two or three.
Bluefly, you make your points better than I...but I still don't see why all this outrage is necessary over language. Your last ^^ sentence sums it up perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies