Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Even a broken record gives up sometimes if the listener's ears are clogged with wax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 AM

707 posts, read 1,022,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Even a broken record gives up sometimes...

And yet it appears you haven't yet..

Old 03-28-2009, 11:41 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I'll get back to you when milk is $9 gallon and see if you held them to task...
And where is all this inflation actually going to come from? Why wasn't it in evidence not so many months ago when just the US economy had some $15 trillion more wealth within it than it does today? Maybe post a CBO table on their ten-year price index projections. Do they ever get above 2%?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
And where is all this inflation actually going to come from? Why wasn't it in evidence not so many months ago when just the US economy had some $15 trillion more wealth within it than it does today? Maybe post a CBO table on their ten-year price index projections. Do they ever get above 2%?
Quote:
Inflation in consumer prices has been extremely low
recently and, given the projection of persistently weak
demand and excess productive capacity, it is expected to
be low over the next few years as well.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:01 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
McMolly i wish i could give you more than 1 rep for this one. In my post i agreed that Obama's budget was too much spending, but continued to ask the question of, where is the alternative? ................
From what I've read the Republicans actually are working on an alternative budget plan which simply wasn't ready to bring forward yet ... hopefully next week. We'll see if/when they present it.

So the leaders simply should have waited until it was ready instead of rushing to the microphones with an at best incomplete idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Are you able to understand the difference between a 400 billion dollar deficit and trillions upon trillions as far as the eye can see?
I absolutely do and couldn't agree with you more .... which is why I specifically said Bush "started" it. It is Obama and only Obama (et al) who are turning it into trillions which is inexcusable and unconscionable. And I still hope/believe/pray it will not pass, that there are enough smart Democrats with a conscience to simply say "NO".

First the banks have to be fixed so credit can get rolling again. Then and only then should Obama and his people start to even entertain all the spending proposals and, above all, throw a ton of money into a health care plan they don't even know will work and which I am convinced won't.

So just want to be clear where I stand on this point ... the Republican leaders goofed big time and made themselves look really dumb in so doing. But that's the only argument I have with them.

Well, that and the fond desire that just one of them could get up like Daniel Hannan in the UK and really let Obama have it. I would be cheering from the rooftops.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:53 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
From what I've read the Republicans actually are working on an alternative budget plan which simply wasn't ready to bring forward yet ... hopefully next week. We'll see if/when they present it.

So the leaders simply should have waited until it was ready instead of rushing to the microphones with an at best incomplete idea.

I absolutely do and couldn't agree with you more .... which is why I specifically said Bush "started" it. It is Obama and only Obama (et al) who are turning it into trillions which is inexcusable and unconscionable. And I still hope/believe/pray it will not pass, that there are enough smart Democrats with a conscience to simply say "NO".

First the banks have to be fixed so credit can get rolling again. Then and only then should Obama and his people start to even entertain all the spending proposals and, above all, throw a ton of money into a health care plan they don't even know will work and which I am convinced won't.

So just want to be clear where I stand on this point ... the Republican leaders goofed big time and made themselves look really dumb in so doing. But that's the only argument I have with them.

Well, that and the fond desire that just one of them could get up like Daniel Hannan in the UK and really let Obama have it. I would be cheering from the rooftops.
60 entries now, and this is the closest thing to a plan I've heard coming from the right side of the aisle. "We're working on it, it's not ready". Ok, but when you're demanding Obama fix a century worth of accumulated mistakes, perhaps 2 months is a bit unreasonable a deadline? You did hear people blaming him before he ever sat in the chair, did you not?

I'm not defending Obama's plan as perfect. My consistent message has been that there's no other viable plan being presented by anyone complaining. Not a single one. I'd love to consider options, but hear malamute above... "I'm not going to bother cuz nobody's listening <aw schucks> and I can't force my way on people because R's don't control the majority"
Classic passive aggressive BS, simultaneously confessing the fatal error making GOP completely untrustworthy.

I asked for the alternatives more than once and didn't get to hear a single proposal. Just more childish whining and wild speculation. The same people who complain about 'big gubbermint', whose eyes glaze over & drool kicks in overtime believing that deregulation was a road paved in gold bricks, are demanding perfect solutions that solve all things instantly from federal. Who from the right is willing to put a moment of brain power into shaping ANY plan? Waiting for Rush to tell you what to think? Sheep rebranded, only these folks are convinced they're the ones that know everything.

Warning label on superman costume; "the wearing of this costume does not enable you to fly".

---------------------------- GOP et al
Well, american brats, you've had a steady diet of sugar and turned yourselves into monsters. Time to eat your vegetables or you'll go hungry. Pout and throw fits all you want but I can assure you this behavior won't be forgotten at the next election. When the world is on fire and the best you can do is make a nuisance of yourself... you're not qualified to be dog catcher.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:18 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
60 entries now, and this is the closest thing to a plan I've heard coming from the right side of the aisle. "We're working on it, it's not ready". Ok, but when you're demanding Obama fix a century worth of accumulated mistakes, perhaps 2 months is a bit unreasonable a deadline? You did hear people blaming him before he ever sat in the chair, did you not?

I'm not defending Obama's plan as perfect. My consistent message has been that there's no other viable plan being presented by anyone complaining. Not a single one. I'd love to consider options, but hear malamute above... "I'm not going to bother cuz nobody's listening <aw schucks> and I can't force my way on people because R's don't control the majority"
Classic passive aggressive BS, simultaneously confessing the fatal error making GOP completely untrustworthy.

I asked for the alternatives more than once and didn't get to hear a single proposal. Just more childish whining and wild speculation. The same people who complain about 'big gubbermint', whose eyes glaze over & drool kicks in overtime believing that deregulation was a road paved in gold bricks, are demanding perfect solutions that solve all things instantly from federal. Who from the right is willing to put a moment of brain power into shaping ANY plan? Waiting for Rush to tell you what to think? Sheep rebranded, only these folks are convinced they're the ones that know everything.

Warning label on superman costume; "the wearing of this costume does not enable you to fly".

Well, american brats, you've had a steady diet of sugar and turned yourselves into monsters. Time to eat your vegetables or you'll go hungry. Pout and throw fits all you want but I can assure you this behavior won't be forgotten at the next election. When the world is on fire and the best you can do is make a nuisance of yourself... you're not qualified to be dog catcher.

I can't rep you and McMolly again, but here you go.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:30 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
Harborlady, I'm sure you know that Nancy Pelosi has shut the Republicans down and while I know how long she's waited to do this, and know how she's just overjoyed to finally "stick it" to the Republicans, isn't it a little vindictive and childish in the climate we're in now?

The Democrats control the house and senate and Obama isn't even trying to gain bi-partisan support for his budget anymore. On the contrary, now he's working on his own party because he doesn't have enough support even there.

The Republicans shouldn't come up with a separate budget. It's idiotic. But they're putting one together anyway simply because they were baited by Obama to do so. It was the Democrat congress that put off voting on this budget last year so they could ram it through once Bush could no longer veto it.

Both parties should be working together on this budget. There shouldn't be 2 budgets. It's insane. They should be able to sit in a room together and act like adults and come up with a viable plan that isn't going to only please half the country at best.

Most thinking Americans aren't happy with this spending spree we're embarking on. I haven't talked to anyone who is. So why don't the Democrats get real and start slashing expenses the way every American citizen is in order to live within their own means? That's what I don't understand.

So it's all rhetoric, all smoke and mirrors and childish behavior on both sides of the aisle. It's really time we all recognize that the "best and the brightest" are not representing us. And it's up to all of us to stop defending our individual parties and go after them to do the jobs we elected them to do.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:32 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

This is so good that it bears repeating...thanks, harborlady!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 PM

There is no other viable plan than to blow our load all over ourselves in a massive self indulgence cluster f***? That's it... spend it all on us and any dissent from that plan is a no plan. Saving over 4 trillion from doing nothing is a no plan... adding more leeches to the system is the right plan and any thoughts other than that plan are no plans. Spending money on ourselves and talking about protectionism is our plan. That great wonderful plan. The same stupid folks that left us with 9/11 are now "planning" "good times". Maybe they'll shoot their load on a aspirin factory if history tells us anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies