Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Limbaugh's comments might be the best thing ever to happen to Fluke. She was an unknown 30-year-old law student with an audience of dozens. Her testimony would be a non-story. Now she's a cause celebre, on tv, a Barack Buddy, a victim of the right, an audience of millions. All because Limbaugh called her a nasty word.

She should thank Limbaugh for the help he gave her and the causes she supports.
On that token, I bet you wish Rush would accuse you of anal rape, right? Then you could be a cause celebre too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 AM

376 posts, read 489,135 times
This 'just listen to Rush' meme is a fairly common one amongst his listeners. Even if Rush's opinions are defensible (and I think that they are as far as I know them, for the most part anyway... this latest one a decided exception), his tone towards liberals is not exactly respectful. So one is looking to convert them, or get them to at least entertain conservative notions, Rush Limbaugh is not where one should be directing them. I can't think of a good populist conservative voice; maybe Newt, maybe Bill O'Reilly if they just read his transcripts since his style is offputting to many. I'd direct the more well-read liberals to the City Journal or Walter Russell Mead. But we live in an age where everyone seems to think they have the right not only to their own opinions (regardless of how well informed they might be) but to their own facts as well. I can't see much hope for 'converting' anyone who is thus caught up.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
I wonder how the Catholic Church feels about Rush defending their cause. LOL!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM

I used to listen to Limbaugh. I thought he was America's leading public intellectual. (This was in high school.) I quit listening to him two weeks after I began a course on logic. We were studying the elements of a good argument. I was excited to apply this knowledge to my favorite "debater" Mr. Limbaugh. I quickly realized he wouldn't know a good argument if it bit him in his ample ass. I was still a Republican at that point, but I tuned him out. Of course (of course!), as I continued my studies, I quickly dissassociated myself from the GOP. I would rather be caught dead with a male prostitute and an ounce of cocaine than for someone to think I'm a Republican.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I used to listen to Limbaugh. I thought he was America's leading public intellectual. (This was in high school.)..... I quickly dissassociated myself from the GOP. I would rather be caught dead with a male prostitute and an ounce of cocaine than for someone to think I'm a Republican.
Sounds like you're overcompensating, not least in still accepting Rush as the definitive spokesman for all things conservative. (edit)

Last edited by Diws; 03-05-2012 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
Sounds like you're overcompensating, not least in accepting Rush as the definitive spokesman for all things conservative, simply because you yourself once did.
This was decades ago, Diws. There are conservative voices I listen to and respect. Unfortunately, Rush Limbaugh supplanted William Buckley long ago. I don't have a problem with conservatism, per se, it's the embarrassing parody of it that is embodied in the modern GOP. A few years ago, when people learned I didn't like Limbaugh types they used to smile knowingly and say -- oh you must like Michael Moore.

Of course not. I don't like fat idiots who make **** up to sell books, movies or radio programs. Liars are liars. Even those who vote like I do.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
On that token, I bet you wish Rush would accuse you of anal rape, right? Then you could be a cause celebre too!
What brought anal rape into your mind ?... never mind, that's your private life.

To get the audience, sympathy, platform, to spread my views, I'd volunteer for Rush to call me a hooker or who-r or slutt. It's not like Fluke was physically attacked, or booted out of Georgetown, or blackballed from employment.

She's been a women's rights activist for a decade. Why shouldn't she be pleased that her views will now be widely known because a rw figure called her a name. This turned out better for her than she ever could have imagined.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
haven't read the thread. I've alreayd sat throught several of Rush's Show, and found them to be nothing more than a show to air his ignorant thoughts, and to demean others, whether its the poor, democrats, the President (referring him constantly as the Messiah or the Anointed one), women (yes he hates women, and his apology to Sandra Fluke was nothing more than a PR stunt), immigrants and other casts of people he doesn't like.

He supports assininen beliefs, and even "diddle" with birther beliefs for a short while.

He's just a show man, who should be ignored.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb Limbaugh serves a purpose...

Look at it this way...

When Limbaugh's dittoheads rise up in lockstep to defend their porky hero, they do so loudly and in plain sight. If Limbaugh wasn't occasionally tripping over his own hatred, the general public would remain largely unaware that there are millions of angry, irrational, intentionally ignorant zealots among us.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
This was decades ago, Diws. There are conservative voices I listen to and respect. Unfortunately, Rush Limbaugh supplanted William Buckley long ago. I don't have a problem with conservatism, per se, it's the embarrassing parody of it that is embodied in the modern GOP. A few years ago, when people learned I didn't like Limbaugh types they used to smile knowingly and say -- oh you must like Michael Moore.

Of course not. I don't like fat idiots who make **** up to sell books, movies or radio programs. Liars are liars. Even those who vote like I do.
Fair enough. Populism combined with this entitled attitude that people seem to have now makes for a debased public discourse. I'm conservative mostly, but don't have much time for screamers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies