Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM

492 posts, read 961,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That's 545 who WANT to govern the rest of us. As representatives they should be administering the function of the government, not applying government to the lives of the people.

There's plenty of other representation among the 57 states to take care of the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Do you recognize the absurdity of what you are writing?

To rephrase for clarity:

The representatives of the government want to govern, but instead of the government trying to govern the people they should be governing the government????

My friend, what is the main function of any government? I would suggest it is the governments primary job to govern the behavior of the governed.

If that's what you call clarity then I can understand your problem.

They should be ADMINISTRATORS of government, like secretaries in an office. Administrative Assistants. Leave the governing to the states.

And I would ask, Ovcatto... What do you mean by it is the governments primary job to govern the behavior of the governed ???

Some kind of police state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
And I would ask, Ovcatto... What do you mean by it is the governments primary job to govern the behavior of the governed ???

Some kind of police state?
Well yes, I think this IS what he means.

A plain spoken man.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
545 govern more than 300,000,000

Yeah, that word.

Isn't Congress supposed to represent U.S. citizens?

And then to always act to protect its Citizens' rights and liberties?

they are supposed to represent the people, but lately all they represent is themselves.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
they are supposed to represent the people, but lately all they represent is themselves.
They don't even attempt to represent the people. They are too busy trying to further the agenda of their party. Both parties are very guilty of this and this article points out just what and how they do it. It is past time for us to make sure that those in office get out at the next opportunity which is the next election. Turn out all the incumbents and than establish term limits. With term limits they won't have to spend so much time campaigning since they just can't come back after their term is ended.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I read it. I even read it beyond the point where his inept Congress and Social Security remark made it obvious that there was little point in doing so. How big a government do you think we should have if the supposed 545 is too small? Want to multiply it say by ten? Would that help?

Come up with a link to that fancy shmancy retirement system of yours yet?
Why bother when Obama has talked and talked about the health insurance program of Senators as being what he wants for all of us? They get that program for life even after they are out of the Congress. They are not on Social Security like the rest of us. No, they get paid their salary for life and that is very unfair since they get that from our taxes.

Why bother with showing you the program when you can Google it as easy as I can. Look for yourself before the Dems get out of control as it may change, but I doubt it.

Let me add something for you. Who determines what their retirement program will be? They do, of course.

Force them to accept our social security program instead of their retirement program and see how long we get screwed like we do now. It would be nice if we could do that but we can't because we have people like you who don't believe that they have those fancy programs for themselves.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:39 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why bother when Obama has talked and talked about the health insurance program of Senators as being what he wants for all of us? They get that program for life even after they are out of the Congress. They are not on Social Security like the rest of us. No, they get paid their salary for life and that is very unfair since they get that from our taxes.

Why bother with showing you the program when you can Google it as easy as I can. Look for yourself before the Dems get out of control as it may change, but I doubt it.

Let me add something for you. Who determines what their retirement program will be? They do, of course.

Force them to accept our social security program instead of their retirement program and see how long we get screwed like we do now. It would be nice if we could do that but we can't because we have people like you who don't believe that they have those fancy programs for themselves.
I remember hearing from this wingnut before saying that congress essentially deserves a king's ransom for what they do.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:35 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:

To rephrase for clarity:

The representatives of the government want to govern, but instead of the government trying to govern the people they should be governing the government????

My friend, what is the main function of any government? I would suggest it is the governments primary job to govern the behavior of the governed.
No the government's job is to protect the rights and freedom of the people not to "govern" them.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:

To rephrase for clarity:

That's right - The Constitution was designed to keep the Government too busy balancing itself to have time for violating the sovereigns of citizens living in freedom.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,675 times
Default Congress, Social Security, Pensions

For the record, our congress has paid into Social Security since 1984. Capitol Questions

They don't get massive payouts for the rest of their lives
snopes.com: Congressional Pensions

And much of the hue and cry from their constituents has caused them to make some changes to their pay structures
Congressional pension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said, the blog about the 545 is useful and interesting to think about. We are in trouble as a nation, and obviously, what worked in the past doesn't work any more. My biggest concern is how divided the country has become over the last several decades. We don't seem to be able to have civil conversations without name calling, and diminishing persons with different opinions/ideas/information. My partially conspiracy-oriented brain suspects that this is not by accident. I would suspect that it serves the government to NOT have us all in synch with each other. If we all agreed, we could actually make them step up to the plate -- you know, READ the dang bills they pass; stop adding unrelated crap to the bills they hate but agree to pass because of the add-ons; and - they might have to actually SHOW UP for congressional votes!

I usually stay away from this forum because some threads get downright mean. But I think the 545 Blog needs to be on front page again and again. So I'd love to see more conversation on this thread to keep it there. People need perspective and the 545 Blog is a good piece for that.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country
And you have the nerve to say "This little article tells so much truth..."

Kinda hard to take you seriously, Roy. Impossible, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies