Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 05:25 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaisleyChic View Post
You have some nerve assuming that just because there are smokers in here that all of us are a bunch of jerks who don't give a rat's a* about anyone but ourselves. Who do you think you are and just where do you get off insulting smokers in here when (1) we don't know you, (2) have never met you (3) and you don't know a d* thing about our smoking habits? Furthermore, you are assuming that just because someone does not have a problem with smokers that they are smokers too, when that has been pointed out to you several times? Do you not read what's on your screen? So your boss died of lung cancer - Big deal. People die every freaking day from various causes. My baby died of a gastrointestinal infection that her father brought home from a U.S. Navy ship. My father died of prostate cancer caused by agricultural chemicals. My best friend died in a car crash. Death is one of the assurities of life. How about we ban moronic spiel and put you in detox?
Hear! Hear!!! Thank you for your great post. Of course she will not see anything wrong with anything she has said and it is all the fault of smokers and those that love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
No ... The smoker who lights up without asking if the other person minds is the rude one. What if I decided to sit next to you on a bench and started spraying perfume? Although I have a RIGHT to spray perfume if I wanted to, it would be utterly inconsiderate of others around me if I did so. If a smoker wishes to light up, he/she should be considerate and move away. It's about being considerate.
Right on!
Many asthmatics are also affected by perfume.
So....let's put a similar tax on perfume ....no...let's ban it because some very few people worry about who will be exposed to their daily douse!

You have, BTW, no proof your friends grammas smoking caused her asthma.None.
It's a supposition.

When it comes to medical opinion...for about 100 years was it medically accepted that ulcers were caused basically by stress along with a few suspect injestibles until that little buggie was proved to be the culprit

Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Right on!
Many asthmatics are also affected by perfume.
So....let's put a similar tax on perfume ....no...let's ban it because some very few people worry about who will be exposed to their daily douse!

You have, BTW, no proof your friends grammas smoking caused her asthma.None.
It's a supposition.

When it comes to medical opinion...for about 100 years was it medically accepted that ulcers were caused basically by stress along with a few suspect injestibles until that little buggie was proved to be the culprit
They don't want to know the truth. They are very happy revelling in their faux science and out and out LIES.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
It is not always possible to avoid smokers although I make every effort to do so. You can only hold your breath for so long. When you are waiting at a bus stop and someone next to you lights up, there are limited places for me to go as I need to wait for a bus.
I've gotta say that when I'm in a place like that or any line for that matter if I want to light up I step away as much as possible and do my best not to blow clouds at others but it isn't always possible to keep it totally away as I don't control which way the breeze blows.
What fries my bacon is even when I do this you'll get people that walk by and give their phony cough along with a version of stink eye, usually it's the ones with kids and then the kids give you a dirty look at start the "cough" just like mommy.
Oh btw, these are usually the same people who are drenched in some kind of perfume that they think everyone within a 2 block radius needs to smell, you know the ones that leave their stink on everything they touch?
Ever pick up something after one of these people and have your hands stink like THEIR perfume?
When will that crap be banned? My wife is highly allergic and gets 3 day migranes when she's forced to suck down toxic perfume or cologne, usually it's in a movie or when you're stuck on an airplane with a french ***** in front of you and a giggalo behind you both trying to out stink each other...
Ever try and eat when the people sitting next to you have on sooo much foo-foo juice that it could double for pepper spray and makes your nostrils want to close down?
Ban that!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
[quote=jimj;8197433]
Quote:
I've gotta say that when I'm in a place like that or any line for that matter if I want to light up I step away as much as possible and do my best not to blow clouds at others but it isn't always possible to keep it totally away as I don't control which way the breeze blows.
Of course it's possible. Just don't light up in the first place.

Quote:
What fries my bacon is even when I do this you'll get people that walk by and give their phony cough along with a version of stink eye, usually it's the ones with kids and then the kids give you a dirty look at start the "cough" just like mommy.
That's because we know that you have a choice not to light up around children, and the fact that you would force them to inhale your carcinogens is just unfathomonable.

Quote:
Oh btw, these are usually the same people who are drenched in some kind of perfume that they think everyone within a 2 block radius needs to smell, you know the ones that leave their stink on everything they touch?
Ever pick up something after one of these people and have your hands stink like THEIR perfume?
Oh, you don't like the smell of perfume? Now you know how we non-smokers feel about your cigarette smoke stench.

Quote:
When will that crap be banned? My wife is highly allergic and gets 3 day migranes when she's forced to suck down toxic perfume or cologne, usually it's in a movie or when you're stuck on an airplane with a french ***** in front of you and a giggalo behind you both trying to out stink each other...
Ever try and eat when the people sitting next to you have on sooo much foo-foo juice that it could double for pepper spray and makes your nostrils want to close down?
Ban that!
It will be banned right about the time cigarettes get banned. And if you're a smoker, and you smoke in public places, you really have a lot of nerve complaining about perfume. I hope you can see the hypocrisy in your feelings.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
you really have a lot of nerve complaining about perfume. I hope you can see the hypocrisy in your feelings.
People that object to perfume aren't the ones that start these threads nor are these other 'pollutants' being taxed.
We are the ones trying to point out the hypocrisy to you.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times
[quote=FormerCaliforniaGirl;8197546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

That's because we know that you have a choice not to light up around children, and the fact that you would force them to inhale your carcinogens is just unfathomonable.

Oh, you don't like the smell of perfume? Now you know how we non-smokers feel about your cigarette smoke stench.

It will be banned right about the time cigarettes get banned. And if you're a smoker, and you smoke in public places, you really have a lot of nerve complaining about perfume. I hope you can see the hypocrisy in your feelings.
uh....................... Sorry, I must just be dumb.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
QUOTE=FormerCaliforniaGirl;8197546][quote=jimj;8197433]

Quote:
I can use the same argument for perfume people so walk away if it bothers you.

Quote:
When this happens THEY walk up on me not the other way around so try again....

Quote:
You're right I don't but I'm not screaming to ban it either. The hypocrisy is the ones wearing the stink juice usually are the ones complaining the most about cigs, how much do you douse in?

Quote:
See above..

Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 PM

87 posts, read 310,388 times
Quote:

If you see someone smoking, cross the street.

Quote:
No one "forces" anyone to smoke. What are you doing taking your children where people are smoking anyhow if you're so against it?

Quote:
Fallacy - Appeal to ridicule.

Quote:
Fallacy: Appeal to ridicule.

So, where's the LOGICAL argument here?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I have tried to limit my time on this thread, b/c every smoking thread I've been on has ended badly, usually by getting locked. They are all the same! The smokers can't stay on the topic of smoking, they bring in obesity, auto exhaust, perfume, international politics, and many other diversions.

They rely on junk science from the pro-smoking websites, or just ignore science altogether, and rely on anecdotal stuff like, "I know two people who died of lung cancer who didn't smoke", etc.

What I really find ironic is that if my kid were making a fuss in church or in a restaurant or other public place, I would be expected to take them out. Likewise, if my pet were disturbing the peace, I would be expected (sometimes with the force of law behind it) to shut it up. If I were playing my music so loud that my neighbors were disturbed, ditto. But, if someone is smoking and it bothers me, I am supposed to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies