Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Stevens is freaking 85 y.o. Is that the best the GOP can offer in Alaska for U.S. Senator?

I don't think you "get it". Stevens kept getting re-elected all those years, because he was one HELL of a good senator for Alaska...he did a LOT for us Alaskans. We shall see if our new Democrat senator Mark Begich can match his accomplishments. I have nothing against Begich, but he's gonna have to work overtime to match Stevens. Perhaps he will...someday.
No, I don't think Stevens was totally "innocent", but on the other hand, I am glad we aren't sending an 85 year old man to rot in some stinking jail cell the remainder of his days. Him getting booted out of the Senate is sufficient punishment, IMO.

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Obviously, you cannot analyze even the one sentence that I wrote.
Oh, I analyzed it just fine, which is more than your subsequent dodge accomplishes. Since your memory appears to be a little selective, here's your original quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It was dismissed on a technicality. The old geezer is as guilty as hell!
Eric Holder asked that the verdict be voided and the indictment dismissed WITH PREJUDICE. That means the DoJ will never pursue these charges again. So, if "The old geezer is as guilty as hell" as you have so eloquently divined, you are implying that Eric Holder, and therefore the entire Obama DoJ, are abrogating their sworn duty by knowingly and intentionally letting a guilty man walk without pursuing further prosecution.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Well, moose, if you really think we should be hard core, that might mean half of the court would be on trial with him. Obviously enough mistakes were made on the DA side to merit this, otherwise it really would be another trial for an 85yr old man. So was Eric Holder right or wrong, or as you're implying, is Obama DoJ right or wrong? Obama decided? What muscle power did he use over the courts? I missed that part of the news.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Quid pro quo. I'd surely like to know what deals were made and what dirt was traded between the left and the right to get him off the hook. I'm sure some dirty senator or congressman on the left will walk now. The dolt that kept that money in the freezer, there's one as an example.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Eric Holder asked that the verdict be voided and the indictment dismissed WITH PREJUDICE. That means the DoJ will never pursue these charges again. So, if "The old geezer is as guilty as hell" as you have so eloquently divined, you are implying that Eric Holder, and therefore the entire Obama DoJ, are abrogating their sworn duty by knowingly and intentionally letting a guilty man walk without pursuing further prosecution.
It seems pretty clear that there was such prosecutorial misconduct that the government had forever tainted it's case against Stevens. He'll go free, but IMO the guy has been working the system for years. It's too bad that the Bush Justice Department was so incompetent that they couldn't bring an effective prosecution.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
So, if "The old geezer is as guilty as hell" as you have so eloquently divined, you are implying that Eric Holder, and therefore the entire Obama DoJ, are abrogating their sworn duty by knowingly and intentionally letting a guilty man walk without pursuing further prosecution.
I don't think justice would be served or the country improved by spending millions to try to put an old geezer in jail. And I think Stevens is guilty as hell.

The Bush administration over-politicized the Justice Department but the failure of this prosecution has to do with over-zealous prosecutors, not with politics. No matter what good Stevens did, he illegally sold out his state to feather his own nest.

Bridge to nowhere!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
You out of staters can call him guilty all you want. He was innocent and couldn't be proved guilty.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Well, moose, if you really think we should be hard core, that might mean half of the court would be on trial with him.
That may just happen. Three memebers of the team, including the lead prosecutor are now under investigation. IMO, all three should go to jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Obviously enough mistakes were made on the DA side to merit this, otherwise it really would be another trial for an 85yr old man. So was Eric Holder right or wrong, or as you're implying, is Obama DoJ right or wrong? Obama decided? What muscle power did he use over the courts? I missed that part of the news.
I am making no such implication. I am merely pointing out that a few here are ranting about Ted Stevens being a "guilty old geezer", yet at the same time citing Eric Holder and the Obama DoJ as having risen above the old corruption of the past. Those are contradictory positions. If Stevens really is "guilty as hell", the DoJ is bound by oath not to let him walk away.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You out of staters can call him guilty all you want. He was innocent and couldn't be proved guilty.
So is OJ.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Quid pro quo. I'd surely like to know what deals were made and what dirt was traded between the left and the right to get him off the hook. I'm sure some dirty senator or congressman on the left will walk now. The dolt that kept that money in the freezer, there's one as an example.
Wouldn't surprise me. But remember, we are now being told by some that corruption has ended in the DoJ now that Obama and Holder are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies