Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas

From the Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas – Just nine people accounted for nearly 2,700 of the emergency room visits in the Austin area during the past six years at a cost of $3 million to taxpayers and others, according to a report. The patients went to hospital emergency rooms 2,678 times from 2003 through 2008, said the report from the nonprofit Integrated Care Collaboration, a group of health care providers who care for low-income and uninsured patients.

Read the rest of this article here.
9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_re_us/frequent_er_patients - broken link)

So who said we don't already have socialized medicine in this country? What can we do to stop this kind of abuse?
funny, it didn't say they had medicare or medicaid. So how did they cost the taxpayers anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
funny, it didn't say they had medicare or medicaid. So how did they cost the taxpayers anything?
DUH...! Do I really need to answer your question?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
Did you read the article?

" Hospitals and taxpayers paid the bill through government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, Kitchen said. "

Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
So who said we don't already have socialized medicine in this country? What can we do to stop this kind of abuse?
In Canada, they started charging for emergency room visits. I think it was $5 or so, that cut down on visits by a large percent.

This happened over a decade ago, but at the time it was a big deal.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Most people's insurance has a higher co-pay for ER visits. It hasn't seemed to work that way here. Some studies have shown that ER use is not related to insurance status, e.g. the insured are as likely to use the ER (inappropriately) as the uninsured.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I still think most mental patients don't need to be locked up. It had to be terrible to be locked up in some mental institution just because you were eccentric or someone wanted you gone for whatever reason.

If someone is criminally insane, they have to be locked up, but there has to be something else besides an institution and homelessness for those who aren't criminally insane.

I think if it were me, I'd prefer to be homeless and free to being locked up.
This movie pretty much tackles it. Try to tell who's crazy in this movie.

YouTube - french fried tators

Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas

From the Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas – Just nine people accounted for nearly 2,700 of the emergency room visits in the Austin area during the past six years at a cost of $3 million to taxpayers and others, according to a report. The patients went to hospital emergency rooms 2,678 times from 2003 through 2008, said the report from the nonprofit Integrated Care Collaboration, a group of health care providers who care for low-income and uninsured patients.

Read the rest of this article here.
9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_re_us/frequent_er_patients - broken link)

Perhaps if those 9 people had access to preventative care and a primary physician through coverage they wouldn't have had to visit the ER instead of going to their DR. .. that's just one of the many things I could think of.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Just want to clear something up, since Medicare & Medicaid have been mentioned in the same sentence. Medicare is an entitlement that someone who is qualified receives at age 65. Also, people who are approved for Social Security Disability Insurance receive Medicare. So someone who is disabled and getting SSI will get the same benefits as someone who is 65+. Medicare eligibility is not based on income. Medicaid is health coverage for needy individuals and families and is both federally and state funded. Medicare is not state funded. The funds come from our payroll taxes.

Some people who live on a very limited income and are on Medicare also get Medicaid. What I mean is that, if you are on Medicare there are many deductibles, copays and $96.50 is deducted from your Soc Sec check every month for Part B which covers doctors & outpatient services. So let's say someone is very poor and on Medicaid. When that person turns 65 and goes on Medicare, Medicaid will be the supplemental insurance that covers the expenses not covered by Medicare. The recipients of both programs are referred to as "Dual Eligibles." Everyone else either pays the deductibles & copays and other charges not covered by Medicare, buys a supplement which averages $2,000 a year, or joins an HMO or PPO plan designed by a private insurer and approved by CMS.

I had to summarize, so I skipped a lot, but I just wanted to point out that, just because someone is on Medicare, it doesn't mean they get free health care. In fact, without additional coverage you could go broke quickly if afflicted with a serious illness. Then there's long-term care which bankrupts many people who end up rotting in a state-run assisted living facility, but that's another subject. They should call it "Assisted Dying."

The abuse I mentioned in my original comment is with the system. Why are taxpayers being charged $3 million for 9 patients? How can we blame the patients if they're mentally disabled? I never meant to insinuate that.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Mike to be fair, that trend started in the 70's based on abuses happening to patients in the hospitals. The institutionlization effect, ACLU issues, a few things going on all at once. Reagan used it to abandon them completely, but this trend started on carters watch. Mental health soft sciences is still very crude, and psychiatry isn't really offering a whole lot of guarantees.

That's absolutely right. It began under Jimmy Carter and continued under Ronald Reagan. Carter hated taking the action, but he was the first President to attempt an honest analysis of the debt since WWII, and one of the immediate findings was that the taxpayer couldn't afford the hospitals for the chronically ill, and that had actually been the case for decades. There were supposed to be supplemental funding programs for private sector hospitals who would assume the care of those patients, but those programs never even came to a vote.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
That's absolutely right. It began under Jimmy Carter and continued under Ronald Reagan. Carter hated taking the action, but he was the first President to attempt an honest analysis of the debt since WWII, and one of the immediate findings was that the taxpayer couldn't afford the hospitals for the chronically ill, and that had actually been the case for decades. There were supposed to be supplemental funding programs for private sector hospitals who would assume the care of those patients, but those programs never even came to a vote.
It started under Kennedy, in 1963. Please see my previous post about this, with a link to the Community Mental Health Act of 1963.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies