Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 07:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times

Advertisements

This is quite some news

BBC NEWS | Americas | Guantanamo 'fun' - Miss Universe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
I didn't see anything wrong with what she wrote. While in the Navy I had to spend some time in Gitmo before the prison was setup. The water is beautiful and there's plenty of things to do there. Most of what she talked about was her experience with the sailors/marines and the water. She saw the prisoners recreation and mentioned that as well. As if they're going to show her them interrogating prisoners. Even the average sailor and marine aren't going to see that. I only wish she'd mention the banana rats and the large crabs that roam the area.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
I can't wait to go to a prisoner of war camp, I'm sure I'd have a looot of fooon!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,768 times
She was only speaking the truth-Gitmo was a Club Med for the prisoners there-oh sure, we took away their right to do some roadside bombings, fly airliners into buildings and other such terrorist acts-which i imagine to a left wing jackass seems mean spirited. Truth is, she was talking about the base-which is very nice, but leave it to the one of the dying nations of Western Europe's news media to ridicule her. Folks-we have an economic downturn-which is what the Europeans like, but we are not quite as dead as they are now. We are fighting to survive, they have already died as a culture. They naturally enjoy poking fun at us, and at our people. Our mistake was defending them against the Russians all those years following World War 2-it gave us nothing, they have been only a burden. We should have helped to build up the America's-Europe should be forgotten now-the dead nations of that dead continent are nothing compared to the vibrant possibilities of the America's and even Asia. So BBC-keep your news, and focus on your nation and continents obituary. Culturally dead people have no business being critical of others.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Gitmo is a pretty big base. From the guys I know who's been there, the prison makes up only one small part of the base. Except for the heat and hurricanes it's actually not a bad place to visit. I only wish I could have enjoyed my time there instead of steaming through mine fields to do battle and fire drills day and night. My job during general quarters was repair locker investigator. I had to carry over 50 lbs worth of equipment on my chest and back while going up and down ladders (steep stairs) for hours at a time checking compartments for signs of flooding, fire, or CBR strips for signs of contamination. Though I was in good shape before gitmo, I lost nearly 10 pounds in a few weeks there.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
She was only speaking the truth-Gitmo was a Club Med for the prisoners there-oh sure, we took away their right to do some roadside bombings, fly airliners into buildings and other such terrorist acts-which i imagine to a left wing jackass seems mean spirited. Truth is, she was talking about the base-which is very nice, but leave it to the one of the dying nations of Western Europe's news media to ridicule her. Folks-we have an economic downturn-which is what the Europeans like, but we are not quite as dead as they are now. We are fighting to survive, they have already died as a culture. They naturally enjoy poking fun at us, and at our people. Our mistake was defending them against the Russians all those years following World War 2-it gave us nothing, they have been only a burden. We should have helped to build up the America's-Europe should be forgotten now-the dead nations of that dead continent are nothing compared to the vibrant possibilities of the America's and even Asia. So BBC-keep your news, and focus on your nation and continents obituary. Culturally dead people have no business being critical of others.
Perhaps she could've prefaced her commentary w/oh I don't know, something about the fact that prisoners of war are kept there? You know, something along those lines. So....oh yeah, wait, why would europeans be jumping for joy about our economic downturn? Doesn't this.....affect them as well? Just a thought

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
When you get right down to it, who really cares what Miss Universe says? (Even her title is false; how many other beings from around the universe did she compete against to win her crown?)

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
When you get right down to it, who really cares what Miss Universe says? (Even her title is false; how many other beings from around the universe did she compete against to win her crown?)
To be fair, she's kind of like a celebrity. I know, I know, not many people look well upon celebrities for political commentary. However, it must be said that celebrities DO get the word out, at least give them that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies