Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Haha!!!

May I suggest opening shop in Ireland where corporate tax rates are very low and unemployment is also low?

Ireland's Celtic Tiger economy is dead, and its cubs are thinking of emigrating - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Sounds like none of them are coming to the US to set up shop. Considering the business climate here, I don't blame them.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:03 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
This is nothing new. Millionaires have been finding ways of getting out of paying their fair share of taxes for decades.
As far as working hard, most millionaires don't.
Other people work hard for them. The millionaires just sit back and count the money other people make for them.
If you look at actual IRS stats about who actually pays for what, the high income earners pay most of the income tax burden.

They pay in excess of their "fair share".

I used to work directly for many millionaires and billionaires and with the exception of a few "limo liberal trust fund babies" they all work their ASS off.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
The tax rates are going back to their hero Ronald Rayguns days, what are they so upset about anyway?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
OP - say someone earns $300,000. If they reduce the income to $249,999 then what they lose as direct income exceeds the extra taxes they may have to pay. In this case they will lose $50,000 but save the difference in old and new marginal taxes - which will be far less than $50k. It makes no sense to reduce income - the statement is politically motivated and the action lacks common sense.

However, i will agree that the top few percentage of earners pay a completely disproportionate amount of income taxes - Republicans are right on this point.

Where Republicans are worng is in their attempts to reduce corporate taxes. Effecitive (not marginal) rate-wise, corporate taxes are not the highest as claimed. In 1920s (wish I had the link handy), corporations paid 70% and individuals paid 30% of the taxes. Currently, the situation is the opposite. So, individuals - especially the high income ones (not the same as rich) - are carrying most of the tax burden.

Last edited by calmdude; 04-02-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
This is nothing new. Millionaires have been finding ways of getting out of paying their fair share of taxes for decades.
As far as working hard, most millionaires don't.
Other people work hard for them. The millionaires just sit back and count the money other people make for them.
That is some funny math that 250k now makes you a millionaire

Its kinda like working over time its pointless unless you are going to work so many hours of ot. A couple hours is a waste because the gov is going to take it in taxes

Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
That is some funny math that 250k now makes you a millionaire

I think people use the terms wealth and income interchangeably. I could be working in McDonalds and have a great inheritance-I will be wealthy but produce low taxes. Or, I could be earning $300k, have no lotto/inheritance money and may not be wealthy especially if I spend a lot.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The $250,000 IMO was dedided on to hit small businesss owners. That will definely have a negative impact on the economy. Why would they bother taking morwe risk to incease business. its all a matter of risk verus reward. Change the reward and they pull back on risk.The rally big corporation will just spend more on write-offs that the smaller ones can't.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The $250,000 IMO was dedided on to hit small businesss owners. That will definely have a negative impact on the economy. Why would they bother taking morwe risk to incease business. its all a matter of risk verus reward. Change the reward and they pull back on risk.The rally big corporation will just spend more on write-offs that the smaller ones can't.
Small companies create the most new jobs. Unfortunately, they cannot afford lobbyists like their big brothers.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post

Where Republicans are worng is in their attempts to reduce corporate taxes. Effecitive (not marginal) rate-wise, corporate taxes are not the highest as claimed. In 1920s (wish I had the link handy), corporations paid 70% and individuals paid 30% of the taxes. Currently, the situation is the opposite. So, individuals - especially the high income ones (not the same as rich) - are carrying most of the tax burden.
No what has changed is the tax laws and many of those individual taxes are S corps/LLCs/1099s that pay their business taxes via their individual returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies