Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,804,463 times

Advertisements

The government is offering....at least int he case of the free(to them) cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,988,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Hmmmm,how nice that taxpayers get to buy phones for those on welfare.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/home.aspx

While i believe in UHI or NHS>. medicaid, medicare.. food stamps and WIC.. I don't believe that this is a good thing... free cell phones for those on welfare.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM

It matters little what you believe in,the fedgov. has decided to pay for it with your money.....

Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,663,920 times
noticed how nobody how supports big government wants to chime in here.
I'm not surprised hard not blame this on anyone other then the idealogy and the monster it creates.
My consensus is that people just dont care, they dont care about anything really. Tommorrow the government could come arrest 1000 people in a business and say they miss managed their business and nobody would care. The next day they could arrest 10000 people because they made over 1,000.000 dollars and didnt give it to the IRS nobody would care. Nobody cares until the government comes after them. It is when they take your cell phone and give it other via force then you might care but even then what could you really do?
The people have no power and the government in the name of humanity, fairness and security will use that power to erase any right you have left other then to work and make sure you pay your taxes.
The new American Dream should be where this form government doesnt exist.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 AM

There is a solution,at least on a personal level.

And that is to not participate in the funding of the system and to in fact become a drain on it.

We pay for our cell phones,if we cut our reported income we could have the fedgov. through your tax dollars pay for it....

Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It matters little what you believe in,the fedgov. has decided to pay for it with your money.....
There's no need to be snarky.. i was merely pointing out that I believe it's wrong

Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
noticed how nobody how supports big government wants to chime in here.
I'm not surprised hard not blame this on anyone other then the idealogy and the monster it creates.
My consensus is that people just dont care, they dont care about anything really. Tommorrow the government could come arrest 1000 people in a business and say they miss managed their business and nobody would care. The next day they could arrest 10000 people because they made over 1,000.000 dollars and didnt give it to the IRS nobody would care. Nobody cares until the government comes after them. It is when they take your cell phone and give it other via force then you might care but even then what could you really do?
The people have no power and the government in the name of humanity, fairness and security will use that power to erase any right you have left other then to work and make sure you pay your taxes.
The new American Dream should be where this form government doesnt exist.
First off.. .just becuase SOME things implemented...like free cell phones for those on welfare are ridiculous.. doesn't mean other things aren't neccesary.. I happen to be a liberal.. but feel that free cell phones crosses the line.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,127,549 times
From the site:
Quote:
Lifeline Assistance is part of a program that was created by the government to provide discounted or free telephone service to income-eligible consumers. To help bring you this important benefit, SafeLink Wireless is proud to offer Lifeline Service. Through our Lifeline Service you will receive FREE cellular service, a FREE cell phone, and FREE Minutes every month! SafeLink Wireless Service does not cost anything – there are no contracts, no recurring fees and no monthly charges.

Any Minutes you do not use will roll-over. Features such as caller ID, call waiting and voicemail are all also included with your service. If you need additional Minutes, you can buy TracFone Airtime Cards at any TracFone retailer Walmart, Walgreens, Family Dollar, etc). SafeLink Airtime Cards will be available soon.
I'd rather pay to get everything (minutes, data, text, etc) on a phone my choosing vice using a phone that the government is providing. I wonder how many of those phones they will be keeping recordings of.....

Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
There's no need to be snarky.. i was merely pointing out that I believe it's wrong
Wasn't being snarky,simply being truthful....

We have an out of control government and this is simply one incredibly small example of it....

And yet you and I continue to work and worry and struggle to live our lives,pay our taxes to support such things.

Makes it all worthwhile doesn't it....

Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
From the site:

I'd rather pay to get everything (minutes, data, text, etc) on a phone my choosing vice using a phone that the government is providing. I wonder how many of those phones they will be keeping recordings of.....
I believe tracphones are those disposable ones that aren't assigned to your name....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies