Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:50 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times

Advertisements

Over and over again, on this board and elsewhere, I see this attempt to put everyone in the US into two camps: Liberal and Conservative. Red and Blue. Us and them.

Constantly, on this board, we see people putting words into other people's mouths and making assumptions about other people based on one or two beliefs.

What gives? Must we all be either "Liberal" or "conservative" and move lock-step with those groups? Or are we, indeed, more complex than that, as people and as thinkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Very true, and I think the division that is occuring in this country is the most dangerous threat we are facing.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Over and over again, on this board and elsewhere, I see this attempt to put everyone in the US into two camps: Liberal and Conservative. Red and Blue. Us and them.

Constantly, on this board, we see people putting words into other people's mouths and making assumptions about other people based on one or two beliefs.

What gives? Must we all be either "Liberal" or "conservative" and move lock-step with those groups? Or are we, indeed, more complex than that, as people and as thinkers?

Yeah. The "Pubs" and the "Crats", with their gang colors. Gets old.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Very true, and I think the division that is occuring in this country is the most dangerous threat we are facing.
I don't think it's as bad as it seems. These days fringe elements have a means of getting themselves heard like never before.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

What gives?
Seems to be a very un-civil war.

Who's side are you on?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Just modern politics really. Afterall there are only tweo ral parties and for now the liberals are jamming things down the gullet;so to speak.Its just a matetr of time until the nation has to pay for the spending when minds ;IMO; will reverse as the pain sets in. Its liike those that financed those big homes they could afforsd;it was thrill whne they got the keys but eventaully faded as the bills came in and reality.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If you are using CD as a gauge of public opinion you would think that the next civil war is upon us, but it isn't. Everywhere I go, and that is a pretty extensive cross section of my area, folks are concerned about the economy but there certainly isn't anything approaching the rancor one finds on this forum. From what I can tell from my travels the folks who "represent" the right are such a tiny minority, even of the right leaning folks, that it isn't funny, which of course makes CD all the more entertaining. Personally, I wouldn't let what you read here or listen to in punditry land (including Faux News and Limpblah) concern you.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,210 times
Du thIs rEd blUe polItIcs Is serIouz lIk the bloOd and krYpts. We reaDy fa battLE.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you are using CD as a gauge of public opinion you would think that the next civil war is upon us, but it isn't. Everywhere I go, and that is a pretty extensive cross section of my area, folks are concerned about the economy but there certainly isn't anything approaching the rancor one finds on this forum. From what I can tell from my travels the folks who "represent" the right are such a tiny minority, even of the right leaning folks, that it isn't funny, which of course makes CD all the more entertaining. Personally, I wouldn't let what you read here or listen to in punditry land (including Faux News and Limpblah) concern you.

Your post is what the OP is talking about.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Your post is what the OP is talking about.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies