Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Stocks push rally into 4th week as accounting rules ease and G20 leaders promise reforms
Dukester - the characteristics of a bear market are ups and downs with a continued downward trend. We went from a +12000 dow to a ~6000 dow, now we are hovering close to 8000. A four week market rally doesn't encourage me or any republican, entrepreneur, inventor, investor, financier, economist or businessman.

Confidence is half the battle in a capitalist society. Alot of the market movement is because of Obamas attack on the business community. When the market starts to react to the implementation of Obama's edicts, the market will continue it's downward trend.

Additionally, with all the money we are printing - supply and demand - the more there is availability, the lesser the money's value - which causes most items to cost more, and we call that inflation.

Which in these times, is kind of an evil brilliance because all these toxic assets which I believe our govt... I mean me, my children, their children and ALL future wage earners basically own, these assets will appreciate because the dollar will be worth less.

But that's another bubble.

Last edited by mossomo; 04-02-2009 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Dukester - the characteristics of a bear market are ups and downs with a continued downward trend. We went from a +12000 dow to a ~6000 dow, now we are hovering close to 8000. A four week market rally doesn't encourage me or any republican, entrepreneur, inventor, investor, financier, economist or businessman.

Confidence is half the battle in a capitalist society. Alot of the market movement is because of Obamas attack on the business community. When the market starts to react to the implementation of Obama's edicts, the market will continue it's downward trend.

Additionally, with all the money we are printing - supply and demand - the more there is availability, the lesser the money's value - which causes most items to cost more, and we call that inflation.

Which in these times, is kind of an evil brilliance because all these toxic assets which I believe our govt... I mean me, my children, their children and ALL future wage earners basically own, these assets will appreciate because the dollar will be worth less.

But that's another bubble.
It's amazing how one can pick and chose what he wants to emphasize in the OP like this: The Dow is now up 20.4 percent over the last month, its biggest percentage gain in a four-week period since the spring of 1933. Bits of good news about the economy in recent weeks, including better-than expected-numbers on housing and manufacturing, have given investors more reasons to buy. You see how easy that was. My emphasises is on the positive and yours of course is on the negative. I think my positive trumps your negative so...
I know just a wee bit about the Market, thank you for your concern

Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Why is the stock market going up a bad thing for us? I'm a bit confused.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Why is the stock market going up a bad thing for us? I'm a bit confused.
You are confused. It is being used as a parody...

Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Stocks push rally into 4th week as accounting rules ease and G20 leaders promise reforms

SARA LEPRO |AP Business Writer4:12 PM CDT, April 2, 2009

NEW YORK (AP) — Investors dove into stocks Thursday, extending a rally that gave the Dow Jones industrial average its best four weeks since 1933.

Stocks rose across the board in heavy trading following an accounting rule change that will help banks pare their losses and after commitments from world leaders to toughen regulatory oversight of financial institutions.

[MOD CUT/copyright]

Stocks push rally into 4th week as accounting rules ease and G20 leaders promise reforms -- chicagotribune.com

And how many trillions of freshly printed valueless imaginary and borrowed dollars did it take to produce this illusion of prosperity? So we maxed out all our credit cards and can barely make the interest payments, but wait... what's this? A new card just came in the mail. We're rich again.(confetti drops and "happy days are here again" plays in the background)

It's called a recession. After the markets decline, they come back up again. That's called the business cycle. The only way to really screw that up is to have government stick its big fat nose where it doesn't belong. We did that in the thirties. It was called the New Deals. After seven years of government's help, the unemployment rate was still over 14% and only dropped after the military draft was reinstated in 1940. Some people call that a success. They're called liberals. Any time the government ends up controlling people's lives, they consider that a victory. They're very excited now because we are using the current economic downturn as a ruse to take over banks and industries instead of cutting their taxes and letting the irresponsible ones fail. Liberals don't like that idea because it is so much more fun to take over an industry than to hold it accountable. They say the business is too big to fail and push their "help" onto these businesses who then lose their ability to make their own business decisions. That's called a power grab. Liberals like that too because they feel they can run a business better than the people who are in the industry and know what they are doing. See, liberals always think government is the answer.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-03-2009 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And how many trillions of freshly printed valueless imaginary and borrowed dollars did it take to produce this illusion of prosperity? So we maxed out all our credit cards and can barely make the interest payments, but wait... what's this? A new card just came in the mail. We're rich again.(confetti drops and "happy days are here again" plays in the background)

It's called a recession. After the markets decline, they come back up again. That's called the business cycle. The only way to really screw that up is to have government stick its big fat nose where it doesn't belong. We did that in the thirties. It was called the New Deals. After seven years of government's help, the unemployment rate was still over 14% and only dropped after the military draft was reinstated in 1940. Some people call that a success. They're called liberals. Any time the government ends up controlling people's lives, they consider that a victory. They're very excited now because we are using the current economic downturn as a ruse to take over banks and industries instead of cutting their taxes and letting the irresponsible ones fail. Liberals don't like that idea because it is so much more fun to take over an industry than to hold it accountable. They say the business is too big to fail and push their "help" onto these businesses who then lose their ability to make their own business decisions. That's called a power grab. Liberals like that too because they feel they can run a business better than the people who are in the industry and know what they are doing. See, liberals always think government is the answer.
No, it's doing nothing like Hoover and the great depression. The GOP never could govern especially in these troubled economic times. Why do you think the populus voted in Obama and not another Republican this last cycle, you remember Nov 2008 don't ya? The Public knows better that the GOP could not be trusted in these trying times and they were right. They had no solutions or answers. Just like the Budget they put out a day or two ago. A budget that was probably put together buy a third grader.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Question Country First?

The GOP is confirming that they are not concerned with the national interest.

Special Interests (corporations and ultrawealthy individuals) are their focus.

The Republican Party has morphed into an ugly caricature of itself.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Do me a favor stop calling the united states capitalist and you might realize their is nothing capitalist about this country. Will make it easier to realize you are screwed.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Personally speaking I'm thrilled for this bear market rally and I hope it keeps up for a prolonged period so I can sell off and bail with my skin somewhat intact!
Keep pumping in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!! Heck I'll even volunteer to load the presses with ink!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:38 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
I know just a wee bit about the Market, thank you for your concern
Then you are smart enough to know that in these market conditions, a short-term rally is not bad news for the GOP. And that was my first point, I was taking issue with the title of the OP, "A bit of Bad News for the GOP, and explaining how insignificant this short term rally really is to Repubs. Second point was to explain that in the near long-term financially, it does not look good. I was never negative in my presentation of facts. Conversely, this post and the majority of your threads are quite the contrary to positive. It's like you post or say things just to aggitate and stir the pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies