Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:11 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times

Advertisements

I find it odd that there aren't more interracial relationships in the G/L community.

Moving on, I'm not sure how I feel about interracial relationships. I've never really known anyone in one, so I have no ground to like or dislike them. I know my parents may disapprove, but c'mon, they're old fashioned Italian-Americans. On that topic though, my mother would probably be upset if I hadn't married a Roman Catholic Italian girl. But lucky for me, those are the ones I find most attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesacat View Post
Ok..I wasn't sure if this was a "straights only" topic so I thought I would chime in. Just ignore me if it is.
I've noticed that interracial couples are rare among the gay/lesbian community. My partner (Asian) and I (Caucasian) are something of an anomaly. I have seen a few Black/white gay couples but never among lesbians.
Personally, I don't see any problem with it at all. My partner opened my eyes to a world of new and fascinating culture...and her mom is adorable!

that's b/c you're in south caroliina. if you go to other parts of the country, i think that you would find the opposite is true.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 PM

264 posts, read 829,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
that's b/c you're in south caroliina. if you go to other parts of the country, i think that you would find the opposite is true.
Not really, wehotex. My partner and I are long haul truck drivers. We travel the nation from coast to coast every week and I see the same thing everywhere we go. It's really curious because almost all the G/L people I know are very open-minded but I rarely see them in close relationships with people from a race other than their own.
Perhaps it's because we have so much prejudice against us for who we are that we don't need to go looking for MORE negative attention. I don't know. I never really thought about it when I met "Chinadoll". She was HOT and had a great personality...that's all that mattered to me.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesacat View Post
Not really, wehotex. My partner and I are long haul truck drivers. We travel the nation from coast to coast every week and I see the same thing everywhere we go. It's really curious because almost all the G/L people I know are very open-minded but I rarely see them in close relationships with people from a race other than their own.
Perhaps it's because we have so much prejudice against us for who we are that we don't need to go looking for MORE negative attention. I don't know. I never really thought about it when I met "Chinadoll". She was HOT and had a great personality...that's all that mattered to me.

lucky you.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
What was the topic again?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Asian female/white male
Let's start with the most common interracial relationship. Asian women marry outside their race at far greater rates than any other racial group, the most frequent being the Asian female/white male combination. Is it a socioeconomic status?, or a manufactured desire? Many Asian women don't find Asian men attractive. Could it be the negative stereotypes and images of Asian males in the media that have had a real impact on the dating choices of Asians?

According to some, the process starts as soon as you’re born. Asians already come from countries that have been dominated by white people, such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan. Against this backdrop, you’re exposed to media garbage and Hollywood productions like the Last Samurai where the white guy, Tom Cruise, is the hero.

Black male/white female
Probably the most controversial of all interracial relationships.

A common reaction of Black women when seeing Black men who are in interracial relationships (especially with White women) is anger. Some black women dislike the fact that there is already a scarcity of "good" black men out there. So when they see a decent black man with a white woman, it is like a slap across the face.

Some people would tell you that they have black friends, etc. and think of themselves as open-minded when it comes to blacks. But if one of their children should happen to date, or God forbid, marry a black person; you can see the trepidation in their eyes. Again, some not all.

Hollywood
Sure you see Lucy Lui, Jennifer Lopez and even Halle Berry getting it on with White men, but for all the gains in race relations, romance on the big screen between a black man and a white woman remains largely a taboo. Americans themselves may be falling in love with each other without regard to color, but the movie industry is still too craven to imitate life. When will Hollywood dare release a major movie in which Denzel Washington and Reese Witherspoon fall passionately in love? You'd think Liberal Hollywood would have no problem with it, but if no one wants to see that sort of thing , they would loose money. So money wins out.

I've had my share of dating women of different colors, cultures and ethnicities with no problem . Then again I live in NYC where it is pretty common. Vanilla is great, but so are all the other flavors.

Interracial couples are more noticeable and prominent than ever. Good or bad? Your thoughts, personal experience, etc..
I see nothing wrong with interracial relationships. Its 2008, it shouldn't be much of a big deal now. I'm from the L.A. area. When I'm out, I see alot black male/white female relationships and people barely blink an eye.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:50 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
I see nothing wrong with interracial relationships. Its 2008, it shouldn't be much of a big deal now. I'm from the L.A. area. When I'm out, I see alot black male/white female relationships and people barely blink an eye.
Yeah, out here in CA its not as big of a deal, but I remember being in a bar in Louisiana full of White people when a black guy walked in with a white girl on each arm. They did a 180 and walked right back out. When they walked in, I could see a lot of whispering and giggling going on among the crowd.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Yeah, out here in CA its not as big of a deal, but I remember being in a bar in Louisiana full of White people when a black guy walked in with a white girl on each arm. They did a 180 and walked right back out. When they walked in, I could see a lot of whispering and giggling going on among the crowd.
I am so happy I wasn't born in the South. I am so happy I was born and live in California, since its pretty liberal for interracial relationships. If you look at my earlier threads, you'll see that I'm all for it. I'm black who finds girls outside my face more attractive, mostly white (the ones who are into black guys).

Old 07-04-2008, 12:52 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
why is it important that we should have more interacial relationships!
Comments like the above and this one; "Who cares? Live and let live."
always make me wonder if they are for or against. Those little one liners crop on any race discussion on any board on the www. It's a discussion folks.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
I have no problem with interracial relationships, but people who are fixated on dating members of a particular race are totally creepy. I would never want to be someone's fetish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies