Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:30 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I guess that explains why conservatives, while making less money, still give a larger percentage of their income away to charities.

Sorry, Duke, but you're shootin' blanks today.
Sorry, I stand by what I said. It went right over your head...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
I thought he "unilaterally" invaded Iraq. How does that make him "hardly" aggressive? Or a coward?

I'm no Bush apologist. I never voted for him and will easily admit that he did a lot of things poorly. I can be honest about his successes and failures, and his positive and negative attributes, though - something that you apparently are incapable of, which is why I rarely engage you.

Bush played the game aggressively and, for the most part, accomplished what he set out to do. Whether or not you agree with his agenda, you can't say that he was entirely unsuccessful in implementing it.

Anyway, back to the topic... I believe that Obama is ultimately going to hurt our world image. He may get friendly with a lot of world leaders and gain more "friendships," but friendships won't mean much when some rogue nation has a nuclear tipped rocket on the launchpad, pointed at Washington D.C. Whether or not that nation thinks you have the stones to fire one back does, and by presenting Obama's U.S. as a "kinder & gentler" incarnation, he's increasing the chance that the Bad Guy(TM) will press the button.
If I understand your post correctly, it seems to me you are saying that governing with more testosterone is the RIGHT way to do things? LMAO And I'm positive you had no clue you were being so patriarchal.

Step back and think about it. That's exactly what you were saying.

Also, I think that "kinder gentler" thing you referenced came from somewhere else. I have NOT heard anyone in Obama's administration or Obama himself say anything about "kinder and gentler" U.S. image.

Certainly, a SMARTER U.S. image would be a good thing for us!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
I agree, he was not well liked. People knew he played the game seriously, though. He generally did what he said he was going to do.

At a poker table, the aggressive player is often disliked and seen as a "bully".

They also usually have the largest chip stack.
Dubya looked very aggressive when he was reading "My Pet Goat".....hmmmm. Great image of the MAN with the most testosterone.

Balance? Ever thought about that word?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
The problem is that we've been playing poker while much of the world has been playing chess. Political forums should make reading Machiavelli a requirement.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
And you don't me from squat, it goes both ways. As for being a fool, don't think if I was fool I would't be averaging about 3 to 5 reps a day. Somebody out there thinks my Post are worthy, right? Case in point about Conservatives. I had a friend of mine prior to this last election who used a
.380 Mackerov to put down his Lab. He didn't know if the first shot did the job so he put in another for good measure. This is on the driveway of his home. That same friend of mine is no longer a friend matter of fact I haven't spoke to him since I learned of the incident. It has been close to a year now. Do I think all Conservatives or Republicans are like him? No, but it sure doesn't help. The lab was put down for convience sake.
I don't think you're a fool, just a tool. How many rep points you get doesn't really say squat except there's some raging libs out there that'll hit the rep button not for what you've said but only because why you said it. I would say the amount of people that actually read the "stuff" you post is a better indicator and a one time 4.9k high with an average of about 2.5 is nothing to really brag about.
I find it interesting that friendship is so cheap to you that one incident would make you toss it all. Are you so shallow that you will only be friends with someone that constantly agrees with you? Did you bother to ask or discuss with this person why he did what he did? You say it was convienience but if we follow your usual thoght pattern as shown on CD you ASSume alot and read into things what YOU want to see. Could it be that he could not afford some medical treatment? Could it be that he could no longer support the animal and knew that if he turned it into the local shelter it would most likely be put down by the shelter after being housed in a cage for weeks on end?
Also, is the only thing that made him a conservative is that he owned a gun?
The next question would be do you believe in a womens right to choose or late term abortion?
All of these questions are pertinent to the conversation at hand as they will remove any ASSumptions people may have about you and clerify where you really stand or if you're just blowing liberal smoke to stir up doo-doo.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
That's all he did for 8 years. That's the only safe haven he could find, standing in front of a drill hall... And did Bush ever serve? I forgot, he had those deferments. Oh wait a minute that was Cheney...
Did Clinton serve? Oh thats right HE WAS A DRAFT DOGER, but you seem to have no problem with that. Did NObama serve? Bush serving in the Air national guard makes him a million times more experienced than those democraps

Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Sorry, I stand by what I said. It went right over your head...
I guess you're just incapable of engaging in intelligent debate. I've suspected it for a while, but this response confirmed it for me. Thanks for making it so easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
If I understand your post correctly
You don't.

Quote:
... governing with more testosterone is ...
Quote:
... the MAN with the most testosterone.
What's your fascination with testosterone?

Old 04-04-2009, 12:31 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
We have learned all of their culinary knowledge why must we continue to seek their approval?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
I guess that explains why conservatives, while making less money, still give a larger percentage of their income away to charities.

Sorry, Duke, but you're shootin' blanks today.
The article you quote recounts a study that is hardly scientific. Putting up Salvation Army Buckets in two cities to see which bucket gets full first is a study that has no meaning whatsoever without actual collection of statistics on the people who tossed money into the can.

In order for a study to have meaning it must have controls. Are there any more case histories that you know of that have actual data? If not, you may as well retract this thread.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
We have learned all of their culinary knowledge why must we continue to seek their approval?
Clever, and so true. Absolutely nothing else to take home from their insignificant little country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies