Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:14 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,946,995 times

Advertisements

Good God NO!!! Is there NOTHING in the US that this man doesn't want to control?!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 03:07 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
A new bill would give the President emergency authority to halt web traffic and access private data.

Should Obama Control the Internet? | Mother Jones

SEC. 18. CYBERSECURITY RESPONSIBILITIES AND AUTHOR

The President—(1) within 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, shall develop and implement a comprehensive national cybersecurity strategy, which shall include—

(B) a plan that encompasses all aspects of national security, including the participation of the private sector, including critical infrastructure operators and managers;(2) may declare a cybersecurity emergency and order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic to and from any compromised Federal government or United States critical infrastructure information system or network;

Sure does seem like a really bad idea to me. Where are the checks and balances? He just rules by decree? Why is it everything these people do involves us loosing more and more control of our daily lives? The MSM is already in the bag, now he wants to take over the Internet and likely AM radio too.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,556,546 times
I didn't read the whole column, but aren't you people pissed off about the Patriot Act? If not, why not?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It has to be a joke! Not even Obama is that stupid! If it is not a joke I am going to buy a gun and plenty of ammo beccause this scares the *&^% out of me.

It's no joke!

SEC. 18. CYBERSECURITY RESPONSIBILITIES AND AUTHOR

The President—(1) within 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, shall develop and implement a comprehensive national cybersecurity strategy, which shall include—

(B) a plan that encompasses all aspects of national security, including the participation of the private sector, including critical infrastructure operators and managers;(2) may declare a cybersecurity emergency and order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic to and from any compromised Federal government or United States critical infrastructure information system or network;

http://cdt.org/security/CYBERSEC4.pdf

I guess all that's left for them to do is name the critical infrastructure to be anything they choose.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I didn't read the whole column, but aren't you people pissed off about the Patriot Act? If not, why not?

I'm not aware of any provisions in the Patriot Act that allow one person the absolute power to completely shut down the Internet without so much as a court order. One day we fire up our computers and get "unable to connect" messages. Then we have to simply accept what the corrupt MSM feeds us. I have a really big problem with that.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
Should Obama Control the Internet?

A majority of voters said YES ! ! !

When did that occur?

This is the first I've heard of it.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,556,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'm not aware of any provisions in the Patriot Act that allow one person the absolute power to completely shut down the Internet without so much as a court order. One day we fire up our computers and get "unable to connect" messages. Then we have to simply accept what the corrupt MSM feeds us. I have a really big problem with that.

Are...are you actually being serious that you don't really know what the Patriot Act entails? Um...well yes I admit it's the Wiki version, but surely this will jog your memory...USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Are...are you actually being serious that you don't really know what the Patriot Act entails? Um...well yes I admit it's the Wiki version, but surely this will jog your memory...USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is that what I said?

"I'm not aware of any provisions in the Patriot Act that allow one person the absolute power to completely shut down the Internet without so much as a court order"

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)::

I checked it out. No, doesn't appear to give anyone authority to restrict internet access let alone allow one person to shut it down because they feel like it as this proposed law would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies