Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Can you list some things that are right about America?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
We have a statesman for a president who is educated, intelligent, articulate, human, and likeable.

You should sleep well at night knowing that the country is in capable hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
So in your world, the only thing right with America is Obama?
Your answer, while rich in idol worship, is ironic in the fact that it seems to posses none of the attributes you assign to Obama (educated, intelligent, etc.).

As an Illinois resident, I watched Obama the lackluster senator, tow the party line and sleep walk through the job.
How is this same Obama (now as President) supposed to instill a sense of security?
Quite the contrary.
And watching him run around Europe like he is still on the campagin trail, talking down and agitating us Americans back home to foment his agenda, makes me wish for a computer glitch that will put his smug, arrogant, entitled a** on the no fly list.
Allydriver, they really don't get it. In many of the O's campaign speeches he would say, 'Don't be bamboozled. Don't be hoodwinked.' But being hoodwinked they really can see the bamboozle.

Right now, we're just living in OZ, looking for someone to pull down the curtain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Obama thinks that groveling is going to make him well-liked. Maybe it does, maybe he's a big celebrity in Europe because of all the groveling and apologizing he's doing. It may be getting him big celebrity status but he's not going to be respected at all.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Make no mistake, Europe only likes us when we give them money..thats it! We mean nothing to them, that goes for the rest of the world too. NO MORE FOREIGN AID!
The rest of the world can rise, and fall, on the actions coming from the White House, as the financial capital of the world is Wall Street. Right now these countries suffer the same effects that our economic misfortunes are causing here: Layoffs, unemployment, and falling stock prices.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:16 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obama thinks that groveling is going to make him well-liked. Maybe it does, maybe he's a big celebrity in Europe because of all the groveling and apologizing he's doing. It may be getting him big celebrity status but he's not going to be respected at all.

Do people really respect a man who doesnt stand up for the nation he leads? Make no mistake, alot of europe's leaders hated Bush, but they respected his stand on tough issues, and not backing down when things got difficult. With Obama, they see someone who they can easily exploit to thier advantage.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Do people really respect a man who doesnt stand up for the nation he leads? Make no mistake, alot of europe's leaders hated Bush, but they respected his stand on tough issues, and not backing down when things got difficult. With Obama, they see someone who they can easily exploit to thier advantage.

So nice that you are in touch with what European leaders think, and feel.

It would have seemed to me that your earlier hostility towards Europe would have precluded you from knowing this.

What a surprise.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Allydriver, they really don't get it. In many of the O's campaign speeches he would say, 'Don't be bamboozled. Don't be hoodwinked.' But being hoodwinked they really can see the bamboozle.

Right now, we're just living in OZ, looking for someone to pull down the curtain.
Will you at least admit that the motivation for your criticism is primarily racism?

When your nation (U.S.A.! U.S.A.!) is single-handedy responsible for a mismanaged war created on lies and manipulation in the most volatile part of the world as well as the global economic collapse all nations of the world are enduring, perhaps it's time for a little humility.

I don't know what it is about the middle American psyche that makes it so hard to admit "We really screwed up."

I hear all this talk of personal responsibility. Obama lives by that value and he is berated for it. Very strange hypocrisy.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

It would have seemed to me that your earlier hostility towards Europe would have precluded you from knowing this.

What a surprise.
Um, as someone who is well-traveled and has family who runs in foreign diplomatic circles, I can tell you that what Europe and the rest of the world wants is an America they can push around.

And let me tell you something - our best interests are not on their minds.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:26 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

What a surprise.
You know I am right. Let me ask you something...how many European countries committed troops to "Bush's war on terror"? Now, did they do this because they liked the US? Or did they do it because even though they didnt really want to do it, but knew it was the right thing to do?

Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um, as someone who is well-traveled and has family who runs in foreign diplomatic circles, I can tell you that what Europe and the rest of the world wants is an America they can push around.

And let me tell you something - our best interests are not on their minds.
Well, what a coincidence, thats exactly what we did to them for 8 years.

Guess we have more in common than divides us.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs42 View Post
Do you live under a rock?
Under the chaos of Iraq, yes. Under an actual rock, no.

But thank you for your consistent and well reasoned arguments. Now I fully understand how I was mistaken.

So long as you are correct in the assumptions in your head, that is all that matters. Just keep telling me when I'm wrong and never how I'm wrong so I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies