Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:05 AM

413 posts, read 562,077 times

Advertisements

The official unemployment rate jumped from 8.1% to 8.5%!
663,000 U.S. jobs were eliminated.
There are now 13.2 million Americans looking for a job who can't find even a part-time job.
Yet, many of the nation's richest foundations, most prestigious newspapers and top elected officials continue to call for an increase in foreign workers

663,000 U.S. Jobs Lost in March -- 138,000 More Foreign Workers Given Work Permits -- White House & Media Noticing? | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels (http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusablog/beckr/april-3-2009/633000-us-jobs-lost-march-138000-more-foreign-workers-given-work-permits?jid=139143&lid=9&rid=1302&tid=15795 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
The official unemployment rate jumped from 8.1% to 8.5%!
663,000 U.S. jobs were eliminated.
There are now 13.2 million Americans looking for a job who can't find even a part-time job.
Yet, many of the nation's richest foundations, most prestigious newspapers and top elected officials continue to call for an increase in foreign workers

663,000 U.S. Jobs Lost in March -- 138,000 More Foreign Workers Given Work Permits -- White House & Media Noticing? | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels (http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusablog/beckr/april-3-2009/633000-us-jobs-lost-march-138000-more-foreign-workers-given-work-permits?jid=139143&lid=9&rid=1302&tid=15795 - broken link)
Well, if they don't come here, globalization makes it possible for them to work for a lot less doing the same job overseas that they would do over here.

I don't like it but also after 2 years of working in the public schools, I can definetely see a lack of work ethic in kids. Where overseas kids are working their behinds off so they don't end up in a sweatshop, ours are just sitting on them (this is a generalization there are always exceptions to the rule).

This is the price of globalization and competition being essentially the only rule of law.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Maybe Americans should get an education in areas like science and technology.
It cracks me up that so many are pushing towards Idiocracy as a viable future.

If Americans had the skills, there's be less need for foreign workers.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 PM

413 posts, read 562,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Sorry but you are wrong. It's all about cheap labor for greedy companies who pay off politicians (campaign contributions).

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

And what of the American engineers who get fired right after they train their replacements from India ?

IBM alone just layed off 10,000 workers since January in favor of offshoring to keep competitive.

Microsoft layed off 5,000 workers. I don't remember the numbers for the other tech companies. And yet they are still requesting foreign workers ?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:00 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Here in DFW we are being swamped with people from India. They go after the Tech jobs and will do them at half the price of some kid out of college. We need to stop importing cheap foreign labor.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
According to that article, that 138,000 is just March alone. The total so far this year is 400,000 foreign workers brought to the US. I honestly can't see how anyone can justify this with the high unemployment from all sectors we have here in the US.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
Sorry but you are wrong. It's all about cheap labor for greedy companies who pay off politicians (campaign contributions).
I agree. It truly is about the corporations having our elected representatives in their pockets. I cannot blame someone coming here to get more money -we have our people working for more $s in middle east. Another problem is that many of these companies are asking for assistance from the govt. GM gets money here and opens a factory in China. There are many unemployed IT people available but simply not at cheap enough for Bill Gates et al

Old 04-05-2009, 12:36 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And what of the American engineers who get fired right after they train their replacements from India ?

IBM alone just layed off 10,000 workers since January in favor of offshoring to keep competitive.

Microsoft layed off 5,000 workers. I don't remember the numbers for the other tech companies. And yet they are still requesting foreign workers ?
They're laying off IT people like crazy in Portland, my husband included as of last week. Here's a site that will give you some idea. I read that the companies are laying off people in small increments so they don't make the headlines. A large company in Portland is doing exactly that with tech workers and moving manufacturing operations to Mexico Maybe a few of the higher will be kidnapped for ransom by one of the drug cartels. LOL
TechCrunch Layoff Tracker

Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I don't like it but also after 2 years of working in the public schools, I can definetely see a lack of work ethic in kids. Where overseas kids are working their behinds off so they don't end up in a sweatshop, ours are just sitting on them (this is a generalization there are always exceptions to the rule).
You realize that your generalization has to do with the lack of (A) upbringing, (B) valuable education, and (C) a reason to do otherwise?

In the US, parents coddle their kids with new cars and all this and that. They're complicit with their minors having underage sex and babies. They bow down to whatever the kids whine about. There's no strict enforcement of anything. Why should they want anything different? Additionally, our educational system is subpar, teaching useless things and forcing classes that are not of universal value (art), while avoiding the classes that would be of universal benefit (Economy 101).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies