Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

You also need to break the numbers a bit more: women are more likely to attempt suicide via drugs, men are more likely to use a firearm. Hence males are more successful (if you will) at completing the suicide than women although more women attempt suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You also need to break the numbers a bit more: women are more likely to attempt suicide via drugs, men are more likely to use a firearm. Hence males are more successful (if you will) at completing the suicide than women although more women attempt suicide.
True. However, if you read the whole article, you will see that suicide attempts are actually a cry for help. The person doesn't really want to die, s/he wants to end the pain. Another quote from the article:

Among the 50 states in the United States, those with higher rates of household gun ownership had higher rates of suicide among children, women and men.

I don't want to hijack this thread; I just don't think it's funny to joke about committing suicide.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I don't want to hijack this thread; I just don't think it's funny to joke about committing suicide.
Nor do I. Unfortunately, there are people out there who make it into a joke.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
True. However, if you read the whole article, you will see that suicide attempts are actually a cry for help. The person doesn't really want to die, s/he wants to end the pain. Another quote from the article:

Among the 50 states in the United States, those with higher rates of household gun ownership had higher rates of suicide among children, women and men.

I'm sorry if I came across like I've made a joke about it, but the problem is the mental illness itself, not the gun in their hands. Addressing the root cause would mean everyone defending the constitution would all be on the same page. Arguments from left and right have been pitted against one another tearing that document. That needs to quit.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'm sorry if I came across like I've made a joke about it, but the problem is the mental illness itself, not the gun in their hands. Addressing the root cause would mean everyone defending the constitution would all be on the same page. Arguments from left and right have been pitted against one another tearing that document. That needs to quit.
As you can see if you read the article, the gun in their hands makes it much more likely to be successful.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
True. Although, who knows? One of these days we may see someone who is actually able to strap on 30 weapons....I'm envisioning Arnold back in his "Commando" days.
I do believe that I somewhat detailed the types of firearms I own and WHY I own them. I find the idea of someone bein terrified of us because of the number of firearms in my possesion rather..perplexing. Eight of the guns I own are reproductions of 1860's period arms. They are fully functional and we use them in reenacting. The latter with blank loads of course. I am often asked by the school here to come into classes and give historical presentations. Yes ,I am allowed to bring my weapons. I have done horseback demonstrations with them on the soccer field. I have been doing these presentations for the last five years. A fully equipped Civil War period cavalryman is an outstanding history lesson. I am NOT a wacko. The school is most appreciative of my contributions. Weapons and all. Fully armed I carry a 1859 Sharps carbine, two 1860 Colt Army revolvers and an 1860 light cavalry saber. And I have demonstrated the use of all these weapons on school grounds. With nary a single casualty. Lol, the local police cleared the demonstrations without a single reservation. The kids loved it and it really helps them learn about history when they can see and even touch it right in front of them. The horse is a big hit too. She steals the show actually. So, I have been allowed on the grounds of a school full of eager young kids armed to the teeth. And it was a GOOD thing. How can this be? LMAO. I'll post a pic of last years presentation later. As well armed as I am I am hardly a threat to anyone but the bad guys.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
As you can see if you read the article, the gun in their hands makes it much more likely to be successful.
Which means we all need to take them in the hand directly. Energy toward mental illness intervention is a better investment for the greater good (especially these individuals). See the clearer correlation between our lax policy towards mental health, our over run jail cells, homeless, and mass murderers. Tough love with mental illness hurts everyone.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
So?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
MrSykes I ask you this about our culture at large... if we had put even half of the resources towards mental health sciences that we have in this eternal argument against fire arms, where would we be now?

This is the equivalent of $70 million dollar investigations on a presidential BJ. It's all nuts, and here we are pointing a finger at 'nuts'????!!!!!
I agree that not enough focus is being geared toward mental health issues. I think both sides of the gun debate are equally in denial on this one.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I do believe that I somewhat detailed the types of firearms I own and WHY I own them. I find the idea of someone bein terrified of us because of the number of firearms in my possesion rather..perplexing. Eight of the guns I own are reproductions of 1860's period arms. They are fully functional and we use them in reenacting. The latter with blank loads of course. I am often asked by the school here to come into classes and give historical presentations. Yes ,I am allowed to bring my weapons. I have done horseback demonstrations with them on the soccer field. I have been doing these presentations for the last five years. A fully equipped Civil War period cavalryman is an outstanding history lesson. I am NOT a wacko. The school is most appreciative of my contributions. Weapons and all. Fully armed I carry a 1859 Sharps carbine, two 1860 Colt Army revolvers and an 1860 light cavalry saber. And I have demonstrated the use of all these weapons on school grounds. With nary a single casualty. Lol, the local police cleared the demonstrations without a single reservation. The kids loved it and it really helps them learn about history when they can see and even touch it right in front of them. The horse is a big hit too. She steals the show actually. So, I have been allowed on the grounds of a school full of eager young kids armed to the teeth. And it was a GOOD thing. How can this be? LMAO. I'll post a pic of last years presentation later. As well armed as I am I am hardly a threat to anyone but the bad guys.
Your situation seems a bit different than most. While I think it's a little odd, I have no problem w/the whole keeping of weaponry as relics. Well, not odd actually, only odd if someone needs to keep bringing them out & trying to demonstrate. Anyway, antiques are something completely different than what we see here posted everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies