Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,330,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
This is a forum for political debate so I'll post where I damn well please; free speech, and all, ya know? An inability or unwillingness to defend your blind assertions suggests either that you know that your position is indefensible, thus requiring that you resort to insults and personal attacks to draw attention away from your assertions, or that you really don't know much about the issues under examination. I, myself, would wager that it's a little bit of both.
You attacked first. You also found communism offensive, which if you understood politics and governments you would know it's a government structure. It can't be an insult, but you took it that way. Seriously I mean what I said, find another person to preach wiki to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 PM

838 posts, read 978,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You attacked first. You also found communism offensive, which if you understood politics it's a government structure. It can't be an insult, but you took it that way.
There is a significant qualitative difference between attacking and debating; I was engaging in the latter whereas you were engaged in the former.

To recap: I pointed out that communism is largely an outdated term which is inaccurate for describing modern political-economic systems and further pointed out that North Korea's political-economic system is rather unique and is certainly not representative of what the vast majority of liberals would like to see implemented in the US. Finally, I pointed out that most individuals in the US who would be considered to be very liberal support a form of governance known as 'social democracy' which is not communism nor is it in any way similar to North Korea's government. I additionally noted that social democracy is widely practiced in Europe's most developed countries and that those countries have exceptionally high standards of living and almost no poverty.

None of what I said here can be considered an 'attack' - rather, it's an argument based in my understanding of relevant facts. You, however, referred to my argument as 'garbage' and, in the initial post to which I was responding, essentially made an ad hominem attack on liberals generally and, in doing so, misconstrued the types of policies that are actually supported by most liberals.

Now, I have no problem if you disagree with me. However, if you do so then explain why you don't buy my argument rather than write it off as 'garbage.'

Old 04-06-2009, 10:43 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,654,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
North Korea isn't interested in having a satellite; this whole incident is predicated on North Korea's desire to test a long-range intercontinental ballistic missile with the capability of carrying a nuclear warhead half-way across the globe. Nor is the country interested in nuclear power for peaceful purposes, at least not primarily, as developments in diplomatic negotiations with the country have clearly shown.
Who told you that? Bush? You think just because Obama reads that crap off a teleprompter it's the truth? I thought we learned that lesson with the last president.
I want solid proof of anything, before I believe any accusations from any president...any more.
And do you think NK would be suicidal enough to ever consider launching a nuke at us or our allies? We and a few others would just blow them off the globe in return. I don't think they are that stupid...and I don't think their ally China would allow them to be so stupid.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 PM

52,221 posts, read 33,935,038 times
their explanation was chuckleworthy.

Quote:
About four hours after the launch, North Korea said that it had put a communications satellite into orbit and that it was transmitting patriotic music, including a celebratory tune about North Korea's leader titled "Song of General Kim Jong Il."

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
their explanation was chuckleworthy.
Have you ever been to the official North Korean website? That's chuckleworthy, if it wasn't so sad.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Who told you that? Bush? You think just because Obama reads that crap off a teleprompter it's the truth? I thought we learned that lesson with the last president.
I want solid proof of anything, before I believe any accusations from any president...any more.
And do you think NK would be suicidal enough to ever consider launching a nuke at us or our allies? We and a few others would just blow them off the globe in return. I don't think they are that stupid...and I don't think their ally China would allow them to be so stupid.
It's straight out of the Soviet play book. The Soviets would have collapsed summarily after WWII if it wasn't for our decades of appeasement and paying them not to "kill us". We will do it again if some whack jobs have their way.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Have you ever been to the official North Korean website? That's chuckleworthy, if it wasn't so sad.
got a link? i could use another chuckle.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 PM

838 posts, read 978,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Eh, not to 'toot my own horn' but you could consider me an academic whose spent a significant amount of time studying issues of this nature; I'm quite familiar with the North Korean case. The regime of Kim Jong-Il is arguably the most repressive (and certainly the most totalitarian) in the world today; only the regimes of Mugabe in Zimbabwe and Berdimuhamedov in Turkmenistan are really comparable. An enormous amount of North Korean governmental expenditures go towards the military with an emphasis on the development of a viable nuclear arsena.

The North Korean government has made no attempts to hide or discount the military nature of their nuclear program (especially after successfully testing a nuclear warhead in 2006) and has openly used both the military nature of their nuclear program and their development of ICBMs as a means of leverage in their negotiations with the US, China, Russia, South Korea and Japan. Furthermore, they haven't made any real attempts to hide the fact that this failed test was primarily a means of testing an ICBM; it was the third major ICBM test in the past 11 years. The North Korean government has also tested a number of other types of missiles in the past few years; this was a continuation of that approach.

Additionally, while North Korea isn't likely to launch a nuclear warhead against us (or, more accurately, against South Korea or Japan) they openly want such weapons as a means of achieving leverage in international negotiations. In recent weeks they have threatened nucleal annhilation of South Korea and they have suggested that they'd be willing to use nuclear weapons against the US on more than one occasion in the past few years. It's unlikely that they actually would, but the country is highly unstable and it's leader is not the most sane of people. If the current regime felt sufficiently threatened it may, in fact, resort to the use of a nuclear weapon on South Korea.

As a final point, by all means don't naively believe everything that the President or other politicians claim. However, it's equally as bad to flatly reject outright everything said by the President and other politicians. Don't let skepticism of US politicians make you an apologist for indefensible regimes such as the one in North Korea.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
got a link? i could use another chuckle.
The Official Webpage of The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)

Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 PM

thanks. the forum section is a hoot

Quote:
It is a striking demonstration of the might of our Juche-oriented science and technology that our scientists and technicians developed both the multistage carrier rocket and the satellite with their own wisdom and technology 100 percent and accurately put the satellite into orbit at one go, he noted, repeatedly praising the patriotic devotion of the scientists and technicians who are playing a vanguard role in the drive to open the gate to a great prosperous and powerful nation.
wait for it..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies