Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
You have the right to post your opinion on the topic at hand, not to mock the poster, or put her down for her beliefs. You added nothing to the debate in that post, just attacked to thread initiator.
I disagree. I did not attack the thread initiator. Instead I gave her a useful tip on how to best use her energy. I was preaching tolerance if you will. But if I sounded too harsh, I apologize.

....now you still haven't answered my question. I'll repost it, in case you forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1
Actually, the thread starter wasn't expressing any hate, just concern for her children. The only hate was the personal attack against the poster.
And that "concern" for her children stems from what exactly?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:12 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,664,342 times
Quote:
Lets be clear. What rights are we talking about here? It is not hard to figure out you are speaking of the institution of marriage. Our society is so warped, has done such a good job of distorting people's views that they think this is normal? Yes, you have bought it hook, line, and sinker. I am sure your ancestors would be turning in their graves. To think that we would be debating that marriage is between a man and a woman just proves the point that are society has become so twisted.

Not wanting to send your children to school because homosexuals have decided to mount a protest instead of performing their job is a valid reason to keep their children home. What is wrong with keeping their children home? How is this hurting anyone? Again you attempt to turn things around. Warped.
People should get their facts before posting........GLSEN: Do you know what they promote? Nothing about gay marriage sorry. it is about the right to have safe schools for the "gays" to not be harrassed, and attacked and targeted for the kids at school. Looks likesome here dont have their facts straight!!!! Looks like others are trying to turn it around!!

This is from their website:
Our vision was a school where every student felt safe and respected. Our belief was that every student deserved an education free of bullying and harassment, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, or that of their friends, family or loved ones.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
Thanks for that, Nea1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
GLSEN: Do you know what they promote? Nothing about gay marriage sorry. it is about the right to have safe schools for the "gays" to not be harrassed, and attacked and targeted for the kids at school. Looks likesome here dont have their facts straight!!!! Looks like others are trying to turn it around!!

This is from their website:
Our vision was a school where every student felt safe and respected. Our belief was that every student deserved an education free of bullying and harassment, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, or that of their friends, family or loved ones.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:20 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I disagree. I did not attack the thread initiator. Instead I gave her a useful tip on how to best use her energy. I was preaching tolerance if you will. But if I sounded too harsh, I apologize.

....now you still haven't answered my question. I'll repost it, in case you forgot.
Ok first, that is very nice of you to offer an apology, doesn't happen to often on this forum and to me is the sign of a big person. I know we all are passionate in our beliefs, and I am definately guilty of my fingers typing ahead of my brains editing process .

Your question is as to why she would keep her children home. Well, I don't think she wants her children in the middle of a gay protest. Her children may be too young to understand. And if the teacher is trying to send a (silent) message that maybe her parents are bad people? Also, what value would the day be if the gay teacher refuses to teach. You could argue that she gives a written assignment but what if there are questions? What if there is a fire? Is the teacher in question going to hold to her "protest" . . . there are a host of reasons not to send their children. And I respectfully disagree that it has anyting to do with hate or intolerance.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:23 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,664,342 times
Quote:
Ok first, that is very nice of you to offer an apology, doesn't happen to often on this forum and to me is the sign of a big person. I know we all are passionate in our beliefs, and I am definately guilty of my fingers typing ahead of my brains editing process .

Your question is as to why she would keep her children home. Well, I don't think she wants her children in the middle of a gay protest. Her children may be too young to understand. And if the teacher is trying to send a (silent) message that maybe her parents are bad people? Also, what value would the day be if the gay teacher refuses to teach. You could argue that she gives a written assignment but what if there are questions? What if there is a fire? Is the teacher in question going to hold to her "protest" . . . there are a host of reasons not to send their children. And I respectfully disagree that it has anyting to do with hate or intolerance.
Thats it they are not trying to teach "gayness" or will even suggest their parents are bad people, but trying to teach that everyone has the right to safe environment. Our school had a gay teen get the living crap beat out of him at the school because he is gay, thats not ok. Keeping your kids home is basically saying, they dont have the right to be safe.

Last edited by Nea1; 03-29-2007 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-29-2007, 02:27 PM

325 posts, read 1,408,018 times
As a parent, I wouldn't see any reason to keep my child at home, but I would expect my child's teacher to act as though it was a normal day. Lesson plans shouldn't be compromised in any way.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
As a parent, I wouldn't see any reason to keep my child at home, but I would expect my child's teacher to act as though it was a normal day. Lesson plans shouldn't be compromised in any way.
Well, that is your choice to send your children to school, just as it is the choice of other parents to keep them home. And how could lesson plans not be compromised if the teacher is not speaking the entire day, and handing out cards explaining why. It is ridiculous to think it would not be compromised. But some were saying that the parents were being hateful and intolerant or whatever, if they chose to keep their kids home, as if they were the ones protesting! And it has nothing to do with the parents being afraid of gays having too much influence, or anything like that but children should NOT be put in the middle of a social protest. It is not fair to them. It just seems crazy that once again it has been turned around and the parents are the ones being critisized here.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,195,818 times
Amen! they should. One better parents should pull their children out of PS all together. Why would you send you child into that mess in the first place?

Old 03-30-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Well, that is your choice to send your children to school, just as it is the choice of other parents to keep them home. And how could lesson plans not be compromised if the teacher is not speaking the entire day, and handing out cards explaining why. It is ridiculous to think it would not be compromised. But some were saying that the parents were being hateful and intolerant or whatever, if they chose to keep their kids home, as if they were the ones protesting! And it has nothing to do with the parents being afraid of gays having too much influence, or anything like that but children should NOT be put in the middle of a social protest. It is not fair to them. It just seems crazy that once again it has been turned around and the parents are the ones being critisized here.
Oh, I agree with your POV. I'm just saying that the teachers, as much as some may want to participate in this silent protest, should not do so because they have a responsibility to teach the children. I would expect my daughter's teacher to teach that day, because that's what he/she's paid to do. If the teacher plans to remain silent for the day, arrangements need to be made for the children in that class. I would be thoroughly ticked off if my daughter came home and said she did nothing today because the teachers were protesting.

That said, the school she would go to isn't on the list so it's a moot point in my part of NC.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Amen! they should. One better parents should pull their children out of PS all together. Why would you send you child into that mess in the first place?
If someone would like to fund my child's private school education I'm all for it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.