Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:00 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times

Advertisements

This question was posed in another thread. I believe it's certainly worth discussing. So why are we complacent? Why are we docile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 10:09 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Because we're filled with bread and circuses.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Because we're filled with bread and circuses.
You're right. The Romans understood it, and Burnays (and others) quantified it.

What's the solution?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:27 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
What's the solution?
I think there will come a point where even we fat, complacent Americans get fed up and say enough is enough.

The immediate solution is to get involved. Vote. Write your representatives. Call them. Make your voice be heard. And not just on the national level. State and local politics matter.

Also: Vote with your pocketbook. By that I don't necessarily mean giving to politicians. I mean don't give your money to corporations that are harming our society.

And for the love of all that is holy and sacred, stop watching American Idol and Survivor.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I think there will come a point where even we fat, complacent Americans get fed up and say enough is enough.
I agree that this point will come. But when? Will it be too late?

Quote:
The immediate solution is to get involved. Vote. Write your representatives. Call them. Make your voice be heard. And not just on the national level. State and local politics matter.
You're right. Unfortunately, people are too busy rushing home to see the next episode of "Lost" to give this issue more than a passing thought.

Quote:
Also: Vote with your pocketbook. By that I don't necessarily mean giving to politicians. I mean don't give your money to corporations that are harming our society.
That's a good idea, but that's easier said than done.

Quote:
And for the love of all that is holy and sacred, stop watching American Idol and Survivor.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
Right on the Mark !!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:45 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
In addition to other reasons, like those mentioned, I don't think our educational system provides a good basis for appreciating and learning about how the world affairs affect us. I believe subjects like civil responsibility, current events, and how to critically think are often absent.

I know that when I lived in a country with a high literacy rate, and within a social democracy, even the younger students < 12 years of age, could and did participate in conversations about how an issue within and outside of their country affected their day to day, and long term life experiences.

Here in the States, kids are worrying about what colour their sneakers are or who is on television. But, we, the parents, and educators have not discouraged this set of values, but rather have encouraged them.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Seems as though the always "PC" crowd is making us patsies.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:

[/i]
And take 5 minutes to Google their web-sites and Email the company, tell them exactly why you won't give your money to them. They may not like or care about you but I gurantee they like and care about your $.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Ontheroad, that's because we have been turned into a consumer nation. I mentioned Burnays, earlier, because he was a central player in this culture shift. He was a pioneer in the fields of public relations and advertising. Incidentally, he was the nephew of Sigmund Freud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies