Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:13 AM

946 posts, read 2,604,405 times

Advertisements

The FBI has trained and professional negotiators. While the Navy may have some personnel with negotiating skills, they don't deal with hostage situations on a near-daily basis. We have the Navy to blow ships up and the FBI to negotiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 01:17 AM

946 posts, read 2,604,405 times
Actually, this bribing business goes back to the pirates of the Barbary coast. Our new nation gained major chops for refusing to pay bribes and sent some warships there instead. Somehow, we forgot this when we started bribing Sunni militias not to attack us. Maybe Obama's just following our new and improved strategy.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,718 times
so blow them up and then negotiate!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
The FBI has trained and professional negotiators. While the Navy may have some personnel with negotiating skills, they don't deal with hostage situations on a near-daily basis. We have the Navy to blow ships up and the FBI to negotiate.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
so blow them up and then negotiate!!!
Eh? With the hostage in the lifeboat with those they would be blowing up?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:53 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Actually Dem Presidents have started more wars than
republican
Duuuuhhhhh! So I guess you think it's a good idea to start a war over THIS????

Can't the repubs EVER think farther ahead than a few seconds?
There are repercussion to your actions! Only the stupid, immature, mentally deranged just jump in with guns blazing to "prove" a point...how "tough" they are...
I am talking about THIS situation NOW and the incredibly stupid "just blow everyone up now" attitude of the repubs in HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FACT: Americans do NOT rule the world...get over it!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:06 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Whats the big deal? This has been going on over there for longer than we have been a country.
We must have the rest of them in custody. Pull up next to the life boat so the guys with the Captan can see & start cutting off pieces & dropping them into the water.
Negotiation is a joke. All they want is money, unless thats the goal of the negotiators its a pretty stupid idea. Besides, its not even the FBI's job, they are supposedly domestic. If anything its the CIA's job or the job of a diplomat to Somalia.
Personally I just wouldn't send anymore ships near the area until Somalia could secure its waters.
Its a giant ghetto anyway.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:42 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'm waiting for Hillary to say that 90% of the weapons the Somali pirates are using are coming from the U.S. I hope she just doesn't start laughing goofily when she says it.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Now I've read everything.

You think the Pirates are disrespecting Obama?

The Pirates could give a crap about what country the boat is from. They just want cash.
True. These pirates are not making a political statement, they want $$$.

Regarding the hostage taken. I would send in a team of Navy SEALS to retake that boat; those guys are trained for exactly this type of situation. They are also bad A__.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but this is one of the dumbest posts I've seen. what disrespect? taking a boat? and because American were present they disrespected Obama... what a stupid progression. Please say you were drunk or high when you posted it and it made sense then.
Oh my you have disrespected the father of the Internet for such absurdities...

Old 04-10-2009, 08:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but this is one of the dumbest posts I've seen. what disrespect? taking a boat? and because American were present they disrespected Obama... what a stupid progression. Please say you were drunk or high when you posted it and it made sense then.
Oh my you have disrespected the father of the Internet for such absurdities...
There may be some nuances about this in diplomatic circles that we aren't aware of. It seemed to be a significant point (on the news reports) that they have never before taken an American ship. This vessel was flying American flags, so they knew what they were attacking. The taking of an American ship in an area of very busy shipping lanes with lots of different ships, is an interesting choice and may or may not have any reflection on who is Pres.
If the US is perceived weak by some in the international community, the pirates may be testing to see if they can exploit that weakness. Surely NK was doing this with their missile launch and no doubt other groups will be testing along the same lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies