Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:21 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times

Advertisements

I propose that mothers who do not name the father forfeit all federal and state help. If she can name the father, she would be eligible to limited assistance and the father would be responsible for child support to age 24. Age 18 is not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
Default Living Room Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
OMG! How can that be? We had abstinence-only education shoved down the throats
By blindly following media propoganda without critical thinking illustrates who is the sheep and who is the shepard.

The birth rate for U.S. teenagers between 2006 and 2007 of women ages 15–19 years reached a rate of 42.5 births per 1,000. The birth rate for teenagers between 1998 and 1999 of women ages 15-19 reached a rate of 49.6 births per 1,000.

2007 = 42.5
1999 = 49.6
42.5 < 49.6

There was a higher birth rate at the end of the Clinton presidency than there is now at the end of Bush #2's.

Sources: .gov Health and Human Services Web Site:
1999 Stats: 2000.08.08:New CDC Birth Report Shows Teen Birth Rates Continue to Drop (http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2000pres/20000808.html - broken link)
2007 Stats: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr57/nvsr57_12.pdf

Please stop posting media articles as fact. Please think for yourself.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
OMG! How can that be? We had abstinence-only education shoved down the throats of our school systems and kids by the enlightened and thoughtful people on the far right. Say it isn't so? Must be a mistake!

Meanwhile, the rate of unwed moms in 2007 was 40% higher than in 2002, during the years that Bush & Rove were ass kissing to the evango-fascist wingnuts of the GOP who were pushing their dark ages mythical doctrine.

Sarah Palin, et al, please note.
The abstinence only program is ridiculous but, the link you gave doesn't really help determine whether or not the program is sucessful. It's simply shows the number of births that were to unwed mothers of all ages divided by the total number of births by women of all ages....and the increase that percentage had since 2002.

Calculating the rate of births among unwed teenage mothers by weighting it against the total number of births, doesn't really give you the rate you would need to make a fair comparison either. The rate you need to make a comparison should reflect the the number of unwed teenage females that got pregnant (which would include births, abortions and miscarriages) vs. the number that could have gotten pregnant (which is a number that is not only unknown but, is also constantly changing). The number that could have gotten pregnant is unknown not only because there's no way to know how many were physically capable of bearing a child at any given time but, also how many were in a relationship or dating were it would be possible for them to become pregnant.

If you really want to get technical about calculating how well the abstinance program worked, there's also the number that were sexually active (both with and without birth control) that just didn't get pregnant, that have to be considered (another unknown number).

Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 PM

51 posts, read 70,412 times
Quote:
OMG! How can that be? We had abstinence-only education shoved down the throats of our school systems and kids by the enlightened and thoughtful people on the far right. Say it isn't so? Must be a mistake!

Meanwhile, the rate of unwed moms in 2007 was 40% higher than in 2002, during the years that Bush & Rove were ass kissing to the evango-fascist wingnuts of the GOP who were pushing their dark ages mythical doctrine.

Sarah Palin, et al, please note.
Hmmm I don't remember abstinence being shoved down anyones throat with
PLANNED PARENTHOOD GETTING MILLIONS....AND IF THE GIRL DOESN'T TELL HER MOTHER CAN GET FREE CONTRACEPTIVES!!! AND ABORTIONS

MAYBE WE SHOULD BE LOOKING AT WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR SOCIAL SYSTEM SINCE THE 60'S!!

AND GET A CLUE!!!!
Increase in drug use and mothers working too much to make ends meet...
so their not home to be grounding counselors and advocates for their kids...What happened to the fathers that women can'T stay home and do their job?

Ohhhh you think it's Bushs fault....
I won't Say what I'm thinking...ARE YOU LACKING IN EDUCATION?
Check your stats CORRECTLY

Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM

51 posts, read 70,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
actually, you can't collect disability unless you pay into social security, so that is one that is actually hard to get for the illegals.
But the rest....
???? the problem with disability is similar to the problem with the Social Security funds..
It's hard for anyone to get disability...It's often easier for those aliens since their more accustomed to subverting the system with no sense of ethics...or someone elses social security #
I've met too many in the last 30 years of many jobs in dif fields. My brother complains about those illegals in the construction industry

SOO the real issue is money went to illegals and that's most of the problem with social security benefits depleated and disability benefits...
AND HOW MANY OF THOSE UNWED BIRTHS WERE RECENT IMMIGRANTS!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:00 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default My parents married in their late 20s

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I think you could run into a problem when you start using data about teen birth rates from the 1960s and earlier since back then teen agers married all the time. My mother married at age 18 as was common in the late 50s and had her first child at 19. She was pregnant with me, the second child, before she was 20. Since they were married, contraceptives were not an issue because women were trying to get pregnant. Lots of girls back then married at 16 with their parent's permission. It was a different world then.
in 1947. I am an only child, by choice. Birth control was around back then, and at least my parents, used it successfully. My Mom told me she used a diaphram. Even growing up in the 50s, I didn't know any other families who had more than 2 kids.

Obviously, these people used birth control, while married, and it worked.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
in 1947. I am an only child, by choice. Birth control was around back then, and at least my parents, used it successfully. My Mom told me she used a diaphram. Even growing up in the 50s, I didn't know any other families who had more than 2 kids.

Obviously, these people used birth control, while married, and it worked.
Oh, come on! Every heard of the baby boom? Most of the families I knew back in the 50s had 3 or more kids.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
No.

Not smart enough.

Somebody obviously had it in for him.

Since when has anyone had to be intellegent to knock up a female?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies