Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tea Parties are spreading across America. Would YOU attend one?
Yes 84 54.19%
No 65 41.94%
Other 0 0%
Not Sure 6 3.87%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:26 PM

471 posts, read 587,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You have representation via your vote.
My state, Texas, is fine.(Outside of illegal immigration) The federal taxation is what I am at odds with. Hell the 16th amendment was never even fully ratified! Tell me how an illegal taxation, that started out at 1% for people making 250000(in todays money), went all the way up to 33%??? That what I'm paying. And for what? What strain have I put on the system? None. I have a 401k and other savings. I'm planning ahead, but why? To be hated for having and then further punished by the have nots? In the communist manifesto it states in the second plank...
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
That is what I am against! It is ridiculous to think that we pay what we do. The government is not a care giver. It should be a fraction of what it is today. How can you people not be the least bit worried about any of this?

What I see in place is not acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 06:29 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Default Tea Party?

Tea Party?

Official Tax Day TEA Party, April 15th, 2009

Many Americans dislike the direction this country is being led into.

A bit of protest, or maybe an opportunity to voice an opinion to Washington, is one way for a large portion of citizens to get across their point. Nancy Pelosi will ignore the substance of what America is trying to tell her. She stinks -- point blank.

On another note, major media outlets have also vowed not to listen to America or cover the outcry. How come?

These gatherings are of interest to people who want to stop unrestricted governmental spending and an intrusion on personal life.

Also, people are worried that amendments to our Constitution will forever damage this country.

There are also reports that Democrat activists will attempt to thwart these Tea Parties.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Theoretically, yes.

But my vote was overshadowed but those who voted one of two other ways...so to voice my objection(s) I can send emails, write letters or stand in front of City Hall...until the next election.
Finally someone who has a grasp of our democratic system of government.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
So don't whine about it and get more people involved.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 04-09-2009 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
All of you grown men attending these tea parties...

...you're a lot more like this...

...than this.
http://www.luxlibertas.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/boston20tea20party.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/tpmap21.jpg (broken link)

Is this ORGANIZED enough for you???!!!!!

450 events planned, to be exact.

Oh, and by the way, when you go to the link, there are three pages of the same map of the USA showing ALL the tea party protests -- there are soooooo many that they had to use three maps to show all of them! Google Maps - 2009 Tea Parties

Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Some of us recognize the difference between out-of-control spending on illegal, immoral foreign wars, and spending that is required because the engine of our economy is faltering, necessitating spending on our own infrastructure.

Bush took loans from the Chinese in order to enrich the wealthy. Obama is borrowing in order to invest in our future - just as individuals do when they take out loans to go to school or to start a business.

There are good investments and bad investments.

Understanding that, to me, is the difference between intelligence and idiocy.
Oh please, and Barry is not going to spend on this "illegal immoral" war? He just asked congress for an extra $83 billion to kill all those innocent islamic terrorists.

Obama asks Congress for extra $83.4 bln for military | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

The trillions of dollars of wasteful spending have never worked in any country at any time but you think spending ourselves into total collapse is the answer. I guess some people think all that matters is the R or D after the thief's name to support their actions.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Without republicans there wouldn't be many people there looking at the last election results.The tea party from my understanding is about higher taxes;otherwsie if its a libertarian thing:i am out.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
I have to work on the 15th and none of the tea parties are near me. *sigh*

Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Apparently it's not organized enough since the OP is whining about the media ignoring it.

I wonder how much MLK bitched about the media ignoring all his protests. Or how many people on the left whined about how cops constantly infiltrated their protests to push some violence.

By the way, if this was actually going to have an impact then instead of a whole series of tiny protests because people are too lazy/apathetic to leave their town there would be one or two large protests. See the WTO protests as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies