Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 04:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,597,491 times

Advertisements

PRINCETON, NJ -- In Gallup polling conducted prior to last week's gun massacre at an immigrant center in Binghamton, N.Y., only 29% of Americans said the possession of handguns by private citizens should be banned in the United States. While similar to the 30% recorded in 2007, the latest reading is the smallest percentage favoring a handgun ban since Gallup first polled on this nearly 50 years ago.

Before Recent Shootings, Gun-Control Support Was Fading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,575,275 times
Every American* should be packin'

*Except for the mentally insane

Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,941,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Every American* should be packin'

*Except for the mentally insane
I have no interest having a gun in my house, since I have a young child that I am committed to protecting. Tell me all you want that I can teach my child not to play with guns. We teach our kids not to do many things but the power of peer pressure and the allure of guns cannot be underestimated. I will not be one of those clueless parents who say "my child would NEVER...."

Nope. Pepper spray makes a lot more sense to me.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,634,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I have no interest having a gun in my house, since I have a young child that I am committed to protecting. Tell me all you want that I can teach my child not to play with guns. We teach our kids not to do many things but the power of peer pressure and the allure of guns cannot be underestimated. I will not be one of those clueless parents who say "my child would NEVER...."

Nope. Pepper spray makes a lot more sense to me.
I fully understand your position as a parent. But it is possible to responsibly own a gun. True, the curiosity of children is hard to combat, but there are many ways to ensure(hopefully) your child is not put in danger by the weapon you own. Teaching your children not to "play" with guns is a sure fire way to get them really interested in them. Teaching your child about the real danger of a gun can make a difference. Children see guns on TV, movies, even cartoons. And children have friends, who have parents, some of which will probably own guns. So leaving them completely clueless about guns may be worse than giving them some education on the subject. We try to protect our children at all cost, but we can't be over at Timmy's house when our little one has a sleepover.

I myself own one gun, a single shot 12 gauge shotgun. It would not do me much good in a split second home defense situation because the gun and the ammo are in totally different places far from the prying eyes of my children. Neither of them even know I own a gun, I think....!

Also, keeping your room off limits will help keep your children away from the possible danger of the firearm. That is, at least until they reach the age that you feel comfortable leaving them at home alone, and by then they should be old enough to understand the real danger guns present.

I will not try to change your mind about owning a gun, because just as it is your right to own one, you also have the right not to. But I will say I hope you have a little more up your sleeve than pepper spray. It may act as a momentary deterant, but it will not stop an assailant cold. Maybe you could invest in a taser or even a big ball bat. Both would be more effective when dealing with an intruder than a can of pepper spray.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,830,767 times
I agree with songgirl. using mace has always proven very effective for me.
http://fisk-knives.com/Mace.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,752,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I agree with songgirl. using mace has always proven very effective for me.
Ditto.

BTW, one advantage of the uniform, is that you can pack a .38 under it with no trace. And a snubbie will fit in the little pouch perfectly!

A win-win all around!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:27 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,197,563 times
Jiverly Wong Fired 98 Shots From Two Handguns In A Minute

Gun control advocates said if a man who complained about not getting enough in unemployment benefits could afford enough ammunition to repeatedly practice shooting and go into his killing zone with a satchel of bullets around his neck, new ways are needed to stem gun violence, including raising the price of ammunition.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,742,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I fully understand your position as a parent. But it is possible to responsibly own a gun. True, the curiosity of children is hard to combat, but there are many ways to ensure(hopefully) your child is not put in danger by the weapon you own. Teaching your children not to "play" with guns is a sure fire way to get them really interested in them. Teaching your child about the real danger of a gun can make a difference. Children see guns on TV, movies, even cartoons. And children have friends, who have parents, some of which will probably own guns. So leaving them completely clueless about guns may be worse than giving them some education on the subject. We try to protect our children at all cost, but we can't be over at Timmy's house when our little one has a sleepover.

I myself own one gun, a single shot 12 gauge shotgun. It would not do me much good in a split second home defense situation because the gun and the ammo are in totally different places far from the prying eyes of my children. Neither of them even know I own a gun, I think....!

Also, keeping your room off limits will help keep your children away from the possible danger of the firearm. That is, at least until they reach the age that you feel comfortable leaving them at home alone, and by then they should be old enough to understand the real danger guns present.

I will not try to change your mind about owning a gun, because just as it is your right to own one, you also have the right not to. But I will say I hope you have a little more up your sleeve than pepper spray. It may act as a momentary deterant, but it will not stop an assailant cold. Maybe you could invest in a taser or even a big ball bat. Both would be more effective when dealing with an intruder than a can of pepper spray.
Well said.
My nephew was raised in a house with hunting rifles, cross bows, and skeet shooting weapons. My sister insisted a continous lesson about gun safety and there were no incidents. The gun cabinet was locked, and the keys on my brother in laws person at all times. My nephew has no interest in weapons or hunting himself (unfortunate IMO) but he's not oblivious.

Contrast this with extended family-- the mamma had a boyfriend careless with a weapon in the backyard and those children were traumatized by his self inflicted mishap. He blew his own head off cleaning a gun. Some people are not qualified to live up to the responsibility, and getting themselves qualified is what matters most. These people are not a reflection of responsible gun owners, who are the true majority. Fixate the grief where it belongs-- on the irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies