Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it would be ok for people to manipulate genes to have "designer" babies
Yes 17 16.67%
No 76 74.51%
Unsure/Other 9 8.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:53 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm a guy so it's not my choice one way or the other. I've read that many times here on CD...(that as a male I have no choice)
I'm a guy myself and I've been told that exact same thing. The sexism is in a process of literally flipping itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
If everybody would just choose to be straight, like I did, there would be no problem.

I'm using the logic of those who say if everybody took responsibility for themselves, like they did, there would be no poverty.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:44 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Tin Knocker, by your definition, the first Pterodactyl that learned to fly would be "significantly different" from the other lizards in its egg brood and would thus suffer from a "disorder." Whereas I would call it evolutionary progress towards a better life for that Pterodactyl's own hatchlings. Dude, you need to get yourself a dictionary, I'm serious.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Well said

There a RW myth that homosexual couples don't have children. The couple that lives across the alley from me have kids though.
Ohhh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:56 PM

240 posts, read 352,342 times
I take it you've never seen gattaca.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:59 PM

240 posts, read 352,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It's a disorder in evolution. Gays cannot reproduce without help from a straight person. Gays would all die out if they did not become bi-sexual at some point, naturally or using fertility treatments. And we are now learning older people who have been straight with a spouse and children suddenly decide they are gay. What kind of gene is that?But if gays insist it is caused by a gene then scientists will look for it and if found a lot of babies will be aborted if they have it, just like Downs babies are now aborted. I don't agree with it but that would be the reality.
You aren't well versed in genetics are you?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Tin Knocker, by your definition, the first Pterodactyl that learned to fly would be "significantly different" from the other lizards in its egg brood and would thus suffer from a "disorder." Whereas I would call it evolutionary progress towards a better life for that Pterodactyl's own hatchlings. Dude, you need to get yourself a dictionary, I'm serious.
The first pterodactyl that "learned to fly" was the first one that fell out of a tree and aerodynamically positioned itself to make a relatively soft landing. Not significantly different from anything. He has a dictionary, but that ain't in there.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,579 times
Quote:
It's a disorder in evolution. Gays cannot reproduce without help from a straight person. Gays would all die out if they did not become bi-sexual at some point, naturally or using fertility treatments...
Wha??? That's some of the most bizarre "logic" I've ever heard.

So, apparently, every gay person is the product of a gay-straight coupling???

Tell that to Dick Cheney and see how he reacts.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,378 times
Quote:
It's a disorder in evolution. Gays cannot reproduce without help from a straight person. Gays would all die out if they did not become bi-sexual at some point, naturally or using fertility treatments.
Your logic is correct in a sense however in reality that is not how genetics work. If the "gay" gene is autosomal recessive (assuming there is a gay gene), then it can still get passed down in straight people who have the recessive allele.

Example: lets say R = dominant straight gene, r = recessive gay gene
If a person has a genotype RR, he exhibits a "straight" phenotype.
If a person has a genotype rr, he exhibits a "gay" phenotype.
If a person has a genotype Rr, he exhibits a "straight" phenotype (assuming no codominance)

Therefore a person with a genotype Rr will be straight but still able to pass down the "gay" gene. Finally, assuming that the human population is in hardy-weinburg equilibrium, that means that the ratio of R alleles to r alleles will change insignificantly despite that fact the "gays" cannot reproduce.

I am not saying that there is a gay gene but this is just a simple example of how genetics work.

And again for all of you arguing over the existence of the gay gene, I believe that the OP was asking under the assumption that homosexuality is genetic. This thread is a philosophical one rather than scientific.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
But with the advance of science and unraveling the genes that make up humans it won't be long before they can find the so called "gay" gene if it exists. Then parents will be making up their minds if they want to have a gay child or abort it.

Right now gays need to use a surrogate to carry the child or with lesbians one would need to have the embryo implanted and carry the child. That is unless one person of the gay couple goes the natural route and has sex with a straight person until the straight person is pregnant or with lesbians one has sex with a straight person until she is pregnant.

This still does not explain why people suddenly "turn" gay. They have been married and have families but they don't want to stay in the straight relationship. They say they were happy but something was missing. Well, lots of people can start to feel something is missing in their relationship and turn to another straight person. It also does not explain bi-sexuals.

Seems to me there are more bi-sexuals everyday. If one can chose to be straight or gay then why would they have no choice in the matter? So they have both the gay and straight gene? Perhaps it is all the experimenting that is going on that confuses a person and one who would be straight chooses to be gay when they are in that environment.

Nature or nurture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies