Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,079,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Typical Obamaton response! I can see the same brainwashed people saying in 2011 "He has only been in office for 3 years, give him a break" while we have to work these crappy, idiotic jobs for a lack of better ones. I am giving myself another year, if PEBO does not create a good job in the financial sector for me by 2010 like the one I had, I am dropping out of the race.
So you're projecting into a future no one can predict?
You get a job handed to you or you take your toys and go home? Unlike other Repubs you don't believe a better job and more pay is your own personal responsibility?

Gee, sorry about your wife's paycut but did you know:

A.Thousands of other Americans also got pay cuts and it's NOT Obama's fault..

B. Historically when Union pay goes up EVERYBODY'S pay goes up? But you stick to the party that wants to destroy unions and fights minimum wage increases ???

Obama supporters are brainwashed?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 AM

968 posts, read 1,034,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Fools that were taken in by his talk of creating jobs didn't stop to realize that the only jobs he can create are government jobs and federal government at that.

Many looked at the "shovel ready" talk about jobs and didn't stop to think that they were building roads, bridges, etc which are done for states, counties,etc which is still government.

How does a President create jobs in the private sector? That question needs to be answered by any politician who takes advantage of the voters by claiming he can create them.
When a government builds a road, or a bridge, or an etc, I didn't realize that that same government also made the asphalt, the concrete, the rebar, the steel, the plastic cones, the workers safety vest or that they quarried the limestone to make the concrete, mined the ore to make the steel, drilled the oil to make the plastic cones, etc. I also didn't realize that the government actually drafted the plans for the project or did the environmental impact studies or things like that.

Oh yeah. They don't. All those things are done by the PRIVATE SECTOR - meaning private sector job creation. Did you really not understand that before now? It's really very simple.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,238,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
His options are to fine or imprison heads of the corporations/companies that hire anyone that is here illegally. Enforce the laws that are already on the books.

Look, I don't have a big beef with the people coming here to work, but the carrot needs to be taken away and these folks will go back to their own countries.

The evil, greedy politicians and corporations are mostly to blame in my book.
Ok... I see your point. I wonder if Americans are willing to pay double for their fruits and vegetables if strict enforcement happens and these folks can't get jobs. I also wonder if they are ready for the explosion in violence in the border regions (in US and Mexico) if people can't get legit jobs... it's bad enough right now. But I understand your point... I just don't think Americans are really ready for the trade-off that your plan will entail... it will cost us all more in the end because Americans will not be doing those jobs at those wages.

1,599 posts, read 2,939,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have never seen my spouse so unhappy, frustrated and depressed like this before and I don't think she will be able to work this job much longer.
She is making exactly 1/2 of what she used to make and hates going to work everyday. We have been planning short vacations to escape from it all every other weekend but going back to a stupid job like this after being on vacation is even worse. I feel bad for her but I do not know what to do anymore.
I feel bad for your wife. Her situation is all too common, however What you describe is where unregulated corporatism and outsourcing has taken us. Wages have stagnated for a decade for the average worker, while top executives salaries have risen 400% in comparison, regardless of performance (outrageous). Health care costs have risen 4 times as fast as wages as well (again, outrageous). It's going to take years to undo the damage and restore some sense of balance and fairness. At least Obama is willing to look at these inequities and take steps to attempt to rectify them. But we're all in for a rocky road these next few years.

I hope your wife can find a job that will pay her a fair wage soon.

1,599 posts, read 3,107,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
When a government builds a road, or a bridge, or an etc, I didn't realize that that same government also made the asphalt, the concrete, the rebar, the steel, the plastic cones, the workers safety vest or that they quarried the limestone to make the concrete, mined the ore to make the steel, drilled the oil to make the plastic cones, etc. I also didn't realize that the government actually drafted the plans for the project or did the environmental impact studies or things like that.

Oh yeah. They don't. All those things are done by the PRIVATE SECTOR - meaning private sector job creation. Did you really not understand that before now? It's really very simple.
What happens when the road/bridge is complete? The jobs are then lost.

Also, add into the fact that the continuing maintenance costs of the additional infrastructure will more than likely offset any wealth created by job creation.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,040,909 times
The demise of Lehman Brothers, in September 2008, is widely regarded as the first large institution to fall victim to the current financial crisis. Notably, this was only two months before the election. Barack Obama started campaigning for President after giving the keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention. America was not quite in a full blown recession when he started his quest. His primary talking point was opposing the war. He continued to shout his opposition to the war long into his campaign. I believe Barack himself is stymied by the financial crisis. I don't think he was prepared to campaign on anything other than anti-Bush rhetoric and the war. I believe he bit off more than he can chew. He was hoping that ending a war would be his trophy on the mantle as President. Now he is faced with a financial crisis that he is not well equipped to handle. Surrounded by the likes of Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Tim Geitner, Harry Reid, and Rahm Emanuel, I believe the worst is yet to come, and I have very little faith in the leadership team to get us out of this mess.

6 million jobless. Numbers don't lie.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:

It simply amazes me that people don't get this simple point that you just made... it's called the multiplier effect. I saw Michael Steele saying on tv that the government has never created a job; I almost fell out of my chair. In addition to what you've listed above, I suppose teachers, cops, firemen, politicians (like him) and soldiers don't have jobs either!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:46 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,189,204 times
Quote:

No matter who makes the asphalt, the concrete, the rebar, it's still a government job.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 AM

968 posts, read 1,034,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Not if the overall plan of tax cuts, targeted budget cuts, temporary spending investments in things like building roads and schools, bailouts of the banks to get credit flowing again all work as planned (or close to as planned) and get the economy moving again. If the economy recovers, these jobs will not be lost or temporary.

I hope Obama's plan succeeds. I believe it will succeed. I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read most economists and most business leaders seem to be behind what our President is doing.

And for those of say things like "0 Jobs created so far", please, stop being so disingenuous - it really speaks poorly of you and your integrity (either that or your ability to inform yourself). Obama has only ever said that his recovery plan aims to save or create 2.5 million jobs over the next 2-3 years and that things will most likely get worse before the get better.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post

Also, add into the fact that the continuing maintenance costs of the additional infrastructure will more than likely offset any wealth created by job creation.
Motorracer -- it's called a STIMULUS. It's not supposed to last forever. It's designed to get temporary monies flowing into the economy in order to temper the effects of the recession until the private sector pulls out of the recession. It's not a permanent fix. If there are no private jobs to be had by the time the stimulus ends, then we should all start building our bunkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies