Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
yeah good idea, like Americans arent soft and lazy enough already. Sorry, just that, those industrious, entraprenurial, self starting small business owners whom actually make things happen in this country, are all laughing in unison at the very thought!
Silas in my example it was a method to avoid outright layoffs. The salary would not be the same. Soft and lazy... you've been reading too much Ayn Rand. Get a fishing pole or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I think this would be a good idea. With the high unemployment, it could create some jobs.

And I really think that the work week should be lowered. We work more hours now then they did in the 1950s. It should be less now as our society grows.

Also if they lowered the work week to 35 hours I think that more companies would consider 4 day work weeks. This would relieve traffic, pollution, and save people money on commuting costs. Plus it would give people more time to travel and spend money.
No way. Obama is getting ready to legalize 30 some million illegals and they intend to have some big "family reunification" program so they can bring in their extended families. Why should I have hours cut when the administration obviously believes now is a great time to bring in the unemployed of other nations?

I'm thinking of taking a second part-time job.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 AM

41 posts, read 68,366 times
What, and be like those lazy europeans? It's america that has our priorities in order, right? Big house and boat > family.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:43 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I think the government should offer some kind of incentives to companies that encourage telecommuting for those employees that can work from home just as efficiently as in the office. This would drastically cut down on traffic, pollution, and save fuel.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:15 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
I think this would be a good idea. With the high unemployment, it could create some jobs.

And I really think that the work week should be lowered. We work more hours now then they did in the 1950s. It should be less now as our society grows.

Also if they lowered the work week to 35 hours I think that more companies would consider 4 day work weeks. This would relieve traffic, pollution, and save people money on commuting costs. Plus it would give people more time to travel and spend money.
Why not 20......it works for Wal-mart!!!!!

But seriously, to save jobs, 32 hours would be the way to go (better have 20% less pay then no pay!!!). I work 4/10 and would gladly go to 4/8 since many days I work more then 10 (and since I'm salary, don't get any benifit from it). But you'd have to also limit the hours of contractors too.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Why not just reduce the work week to zero hours? The government could just send us all checks. Nothing would get done, and no tax money would be paid, but hell, we'd all feel good. The government could just borrow for a while until that gig was up.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I worked for a law firm where the work week was 35 hours. Basically, you still work an 8 hour day, but they don't pay you for lunch.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:26 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I worked for a law firm where the work week was 35 hours. Basically, you still work an 8 hour day, but they don't pay you for lunch.
I worked as a legal assistant for several law firms in Chicago for more than 20 years and the standard work hours were 9-5 with an hour for lunch. The pay and the perks have always been some of the best in America. Anything beyond 35 hours a week was time and a half and Sundays and Holidays were double time. It wasn't until newer firms headquartered in other states began to open offices in Chicago that the standard workday hours became extended and varied.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:33 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
I work hard for a high tech company, and as I mentioned in another thread, there is no way I could realistically work a 40 hr/wk, let alone a 35 hr/wk. There are days when I can quit early if I need to for personal reasons, but there are also days where I put in 12 hours and some weekends where I need to jump in and do work. That's just what it takes to be successful and to do a good job. In return, I get a great salary, bonuses, and stock awards. Maybe if you have an hourly job where you punch a clock you can limit your work to 35 or 40 hours/wk, but many people have jobs where you are paid salary to do the job, no matter what it takes. Again, in return you get compensated well, and if that kind of schedule isn't for you, you can always punch a clock for $10/hr.

My point here is that when you talk about limiting the work week, what you're doing is playing to the least common denominator type thinking. This kind of job and thinking is typically for people who punch a clock and don't want to put in any extra effort beyond the minimum. In other words...union members.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:39 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I work hard for a high tech company, and as I mentioned in another thread, there is no way I could realistically work a 40 hr/wk, let alone a 35 hr/wk. There are days when I can quit early if I need to for personal reasons, but there are also days where I put in 12 hours and some weekends where I need to jump in and do work. That's just what it takes to be successful and to do a good job. In return, I get a great salary, bonuses, and stock awards. Maybe if you have an hourly job where you punch a clock you can limit your work to 35 or 40 hours/wk, but many people have jobs where you are paid salary to do the job, no matter what it takes. Again, in return you get compensated well, and if that kind of schedule isn't for you, you can always punch a clock for $10/hr.

My point here is that when you talk about limiting the work week, what you're doing is playing to the least common denominator type thinking. This kind of job and thinking is typically for people who punch a clock and don't want to put in any extra effort beyond the minimum. In other words...union members.
I agree that there is a vast difference between what is expected from those who punch a clock and those of us who are salaried. You are indeed expected to stay "overtime" come in early, on weekends and pitch in whenever and wherever you are needed. Because I worked at some of the bigger firms, in addition to being paid overtime, they bought your dinner and they sent you home in a cab. The larger law firms operate 24-7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies