Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Really? Then it should be easy for you to prove what you just said. As a self-proclaimed FLEO, I'm sure you understand the concept of "burden of proof."

I'll be waiting for you to post links to the posts in which I suggested eliminating all restrictions on gun ownership. Don't disappear from this thread like you tend to do when you fall too far behind in a debate - I'm going to hold you to either proving your allegation or admitting that you were lying, or at least wrong.
Look it up yourself...LOL!!! and please refrain from sending me direct messages in a desperate need to clear yourself..If you don't want gun laws eased or abolished, what's your beef?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If its a non-issue why do gun control advocates continue to float or discuss legislation of a ban? Why did Pelosi just two days ago talk about needed gun control? When was the last legislation to circumvent Roe v. Wade introduced in Congress?
Precisely, it's far from a non issue. Some proponents of "gun contol" may like it if we got complacent following the Heller ruling and thought it was over. LMAO, but the more aware groups of firearms rights advocates know better. The gun contol freaks will never give up until they have crammed their own irrational fears and predjudices down everyones throats. If you disagree with these folks, your a "gun nut" or "wing nut" or whatever. Oh sure, it's all about "common sense"...just a matter of who's version of the latter.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:41 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,245,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I've seen numerous threads from the left linking mental illness with guns as if they're natural companions. Dems have traditionally had the opinion of when in doubt, regulate some more, use Jim Brady and Carolyn McCarthy to sell legislation. Obamas position prior to election was party line toned down anti gun, and I counted on the supreme court to hold up what was true.

I'm center and I voted for Obama in great measure because of his resume-- professor of constitution. It felt like he was my only chance to get the country back in line with the constitution. I voted for Obama because he was supposed to shut that open door of unlimited executive power that he pointed at, knowing how dangerous it was. He hasn't shut that door. He's used the opportunity to push agendas that are against the will of the people. I'm not willing to sit obediently the way I did post 911 when the abuses began. I was wrong to keep quiet when the left was screaming their heads off. I never should have done it. I'll never do it again.

This time the right is screaming their heads off so to speak. Some of it is media warping, but much of it is real when you look at the executive power door that has yet to be closed. The media warping is coming from both sides, I do acknowlege that, but... close the door. He hasn't. He expanded his own power with this latest internet legislation. Heller case is closed and 5 minutes from now 12 more will get invented coming from every concievable angle.

This country more than anything else needs unity by putting the constitution on the top shelf where it belongs. With our POTUS or without him, we need to stick together, the tie that binds us all, if we're going to make it through this mess. His failure to uphold it as Bush did is a negation of his oath. Bush belongs in jail and dems did nothing. I don't feel either party is trustworthy anymore if they're no longer in service to the constitution.
I've also seen numerous right wingers state that Christianity should be part of a public school education and that laws should be passed equating abortion with murder. So? With respect to Pelosi, she's talking about gun control legislation... that's still constitutional last time I checked.

How has Obama dissapointed you on the executive power front?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I've noticed a bunch of posts on here about gun rights and fears that the Obama administration will take away the right to own a gun. However, as the court ruled in Heller v DC last year, the right to own guns is an individual right that cannot be taken away by any government. If you recall, DC had a total ban on guns and that was ruled to be unconstitutional. Given that gun rights advocates have won at the ultimate level, I wonder why there is still so much energy around this issue. For the most part, it's been decided.

Is there a real fear that gun will be taken away or is it that folks don't want ANY regulation of gun ownership (background checks, waiting periods, ban on automatic weapons, etc.). I'm just trying to understand why this issue isn't waning given the Supreme Court's ruling.
When was the last time Congress ever bothered to adhere to the US Constitution, much less a Supreme Court ruling? Not even two months ago they enacted an ex post facto law to tax AIG bonuses, even though the US Constitution prohibits ex post facto laws.

Even though the Supreme Court acknowledged that owning and possessing a firearm is an inherent right, not to be infringed upon by government, there is still a very legitimate fear that Congress will ignore the ruling and enact gun control laws anyway.

Just this week Pelosi acknowledged that a nationwide gun registration program was part of her agenda.

Pelosi: 'We Want Registration'; Holder: 2A Won't 'Stand In The Way'; SAF: 'Gloves Are Off'

So there is a very good reason for Americans to fear this Congress and this Affirmative Action President. It is their stated goal to take away our constitutionally protected rights.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times
Forget your talk of right wingers. I'm neither left nor right but that's irrelevant when it comes to the constitution because it's everyones common ground. The rest was already answered and you just didn't want to see it.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When was the last time Congress ever bothered to adhere to the US Constitution, much less a Supreme Court ruling? Not even two months ago they enacted an ex post facto law to tax AIG bonuses, even though the US Constitution prohibits ex post facto laws.

Even though the Supreme Court acknowledged that owning and possessing a firearm is an inherent right, not to be infringed upon by government, there is still a very legitimate fear that Congress will ignore the ruling and enact gun control laws anyway.

Just this week Pelosi acknowledged that a nationwide gun registration program was part of her agenda.

Pelosi: 'We Want Registration'; Holder: 2A Won't 'Stand In The Way'; SAF: 'Gloves Are Off'

So there is a very good reason for Americans to fear this Congress and this Affirmative Action President. It is their stated goal to take away our constitutionally protected rights.
Please name one unconstitutional law that was passed and allowed to stand by the Supreme Court. We saw that all of the unconstitutional prisoner abuse of Bush has been overturned. The AIG bill was a bill... it was not passed into law. What does gun registration have to do with gun bans?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Forget your talk of right wingers. I'm neither left nor right but that's irrelevant when it comes to the constitution because it's everyones common ground. The rest was already answered and you just didn't want to see it.
You mentioned one thing... the internet legislation... which will allow the government to shut down some infrastructure in the face of national security breaches... how does that infringe your rights? Don't you think i's necessary for the government to adapt to modern technology?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Please name one unconstitutional law that was passed and allowed to stand by the Supreme Court. We saw that all of the unconstitutional prisoner abuse of Bush has been overturned. The AIG bill was a bill... it was not passed into law. What does gun registration have to do with gun bans?
Are you serious? A bill enacted by Congress becomes Public Law. The 90% retroactive AIG Bonus tax is clearly unconstitutional. I suggest you read Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 of the US Constitution and get a clue, because it is quite obvious that you haven't the foggiest idea how your own government functions.

I also noticed you could not resist tossing in a liberal lie about Bush, I can't say I'm surprised considering the ignorance of your post.

Since you are not capable of figuring it out on your own, I will educate you this one time: Registration of firearms is always the first step toward confiscating firearms. Just ask Germany and Australia.

Only those who do not want the firearms they own, or are too stupid to know any better, will register their firearms. Every other sane American will not.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Are you serious? A bill enacted by Congress becomes Public Law. The 90% retroactive AIG Bonus tax is clearly unconstitutional. I suggest you read Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 of the US Constitution and get a clue, because it is quite obvious that you haven't the foggiest idea how your own government functions.

I also noticed you could not resist tossing in a liberal lie about Bush, I can't say I'm surprised considering the ignorance of your post.

Since you are not capable of figuring it out on your own, I will educate you this one time: Registration of firearms is always the first step toward confiscating firearms. Just ask Germany and Australia.

Only those who do not want the firearms they own, or are too stupid to know any better, will register their firearms. Every other sane American will not.
A bill only becomes law when it is approved by the President. This bill has not even been reconciled in Congress... it's dead so calm down. Obama has indicated that he won't sign it. And the point is... even if passed, the courts are a check against unconstitutional laws... maybe you should brush up on civics.

As for the registration issue, maybe I should refuse to register my cars as well... who knows, this government, which is apparently as devious as Nazi Germany, may be planning to take them away. You are so laughable... you claim to love the Constitution and the country but will cling to every conspiracy nut theory when your party is out of power.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:46 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
nobody - repeat, NOBODY, is calling for an all-or-nothing approach. I suppose there's a few anti-gun folks calling for the "nothing," but not a single gun rights supporter is suggesting that there be no restrictions whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
You must be high because I've participated (as you know) in three specific threads where you and others have defended easing gun regulations or getting rid of all regulations
Quote:
Really? Then it should be easy for you to prove what you just said. As a self-proclaimed FLEO, I'm sure you understand the concept of "burden of proof."

I'll be waiting for you to post links to the posts in which I suggested eliminating all restrictions on gun ownership. Don't disappear from this thread like you tend to do when you fall too far behind in a debate - I'm going to hold you to either proving your allegation or admitting that you were lying, or at least wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Look it up yourself...LOL!!! and please refrain from sending me direct messages in a desperate need to clear yourself..If you don't want gun laws eased or abolished, what's your beef?
So you're a liar, then?

You made a character assassination attempt against me. I take that very seriously. I asked you to either back up your claim or withdraw it. You either ignored my request or missed it, so I sent the DM to ensure that it couldn't have been the latter.

I have no need to "clear myself". The evidence (you understand what that is, right?) is clear. You have not met the burden of proof in substantiating your claim, and you have not corrected yourself for making a false accusation. Therefore, the only possible explanation is that you are a liar, probably as an attempt to assassinate the character of someone with an opposing view whose arguments you couldn't counter legitimately.

At least we all know what you are, now, and your own character is no longer in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies