Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:57 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,237,236 times

Advertisements

I never thought any President would be brave enough to touch this topic for fear of losing Florida but it appears that Obama will review our relationship with Cuba. I think it's fairly clear that after close to 50 years, our policy is not working... still, what should it change to? What would Cuba have to do in order to normalize relations? Lifting the travel and money restrictions for Cuban Americans is the simplest part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,459,124 times
Yes, Cuba is a foreign policy embarrassment.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,686,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Yes, Cuba is a foreign policy embarrassment.

Yes but I am afraid the quality of cigars may go down with the huge demand from the US.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,082,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes but I am afraid the quality of cigars may go down with the huge demand from the US.
Why would it go down? They still would use the same soil for growing the leaves.Just would be more of a demand.It would also create a demand for our exports if we opened it up with Cuba.It also creates an influx of cash for travel.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:10 PM

57 posts, read 138,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I never thought any President would be brave enough to touch this topic for fear of losing Florida but it appears that Obama will review our relationship with Cuba. I think it's fairly clear that after close to 50 years, our policy is not working... still, what should it change to? What would Cuba have to do in order to normalize relations? Lifting the travel and money restrictions for Cuban Americans is the simplest part.
If Obama reviews our relationship with Cuba that would be a good thing. As another poster said, Cuba has been one of the biggest blunders in US foreign policy to date (embarrassment was the word used I think).

As far as what Cuba will have to do, I think it will sadly involve forcing them into a more Capitalist state (I like capitalism, but it's not our job to force certain economies on other countries). It would be great if we could get them to give their citizens more rights and lift travel and money restrictions on Cuban Americans like you pointed out. It would be nice if Obama could accomplish these things without forcing Capitalism on them.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,686,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Why would it go down? They still would use the same soil for growing the leaves.Just would be more of a demand.It would also create a demand for our exports if we opened it up with Cuba.It also creates an influx of cash for travel.

I am concerned that increased demand will out strip supply and an inferior product may be the result.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,906,291 times
Recall Obama received the ringing endorsement of the Cuban American National Foundation founded by right wing nut case Jorge Mas Canosa based upon his promises to rethink Cuban American relations. The times they are a changing even in the Cuban-American community.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,847,042 times
If we wanted to make Castro ineffective we should have opened up capitalism to Cuba 30 years ago. Communism cannot stand to a free market capitalism.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,520,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
news flash cuban cigars are third rate. the best cigars are now coming out of the dominican republic. while this is a highly subjective topic the fact remains that pound for pound dominican product is far superior in all aspects.

yes the current and longstanding policy towards cuba has been ineffectual and perhaps even counter productive.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:51 PM

358 posts, read 470,379 times
I wnat Cuba opened up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies