Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever smoked weed before? Should it be lagalized?
Smoked it 55 47.41%
Never smoked it 30 25.86%
It should be legal 80 68.97%
It should stay illegal 25 21.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:36 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,794,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
Where's the option for 'Don't care either way'?
I think that option would be not opening the thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 02:45 PM

9,108 posts, read 13,127,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I HAD a second cousin who died in his early 20s and I have a childhood friend who is STILL addicted to more hardcore stuff - both of them started with "innocent" marijuana.

Most mass murderers started as milk drinkers, so therefore drinking milk leads to murder?
Beyond durrr.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:48 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,171,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
i voted for "it should be legal". there are alot of misconceptions about marijuana. most of the negativity you here has already been disproven. marijuana doesn't kill brain cells (ironically, science is now showing it promotes brain cell growth) and it doesn't cause cancer (national cancer institute actually promotes marijuana).
I don't know that anyone believes that Marijuana kills brain cells. It doesn't. But Marijuana undoubtedly alters the function of brain cells. I believe you also have a 4-5 times greater chance of having a heart attack when you smoke Marijuana. Additionally, smoking anything increases your risk of developing cancer; it's not a black or white issue. The National Cancer institute most likely endorses Marijuana as anti-nausea medication for terminally ill cancer patients, not as if they endorse pot-heads. Finally, I'm not sure increasing the number of intoxicated drivers in the city is a good idea.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:50 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,171,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
It would be great for marijuana to be legalized that way with marijuana legalized our law enforcement officials have more time to focus on other important crimes.
Perhaps we should legalize theft so that law enforcement can focus on more important crimes like murder.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
And all of those are directly due to the usage of pot?

A) maybe your aunt had zero ambition in her life to begin with and her being a waste is purely based on your idea of what productive is

B) the gateway theory has not been proven, drug use and what types of drugs one uses is often due to sociological factors more than anything else from what I have read in studies
To be honest I am not 100% sure about my aunt as she is older than me. My uncle (my aunt's older brother) has payed for her to go to rehab several times but she keeps sliding back down. I DO KNOW about my cousin and my friend as I grew up and hung out with them when it was going on. Both were totally clean cut kids that started using marijuana first - so there is really no theory needed to proven here.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
and then there's also a population of people who don't move onto hardcore drugs....I don't agree with the idea of pot getting people into other drugs...I think some people are just prone to experiment and of course pots where someone would start. I've smoked pot, but would never try heroin.

Pot smoking is kinda like getting your ears pierced first before going for more severe body piercing,lol..
Well you do not agree that pot can be a gateway drug but I have seen it happen. Both you and I may have been able to use it without any lasting addiction or anything. Many adults can probably handle it responsibly with no problem. But because of what I have seen in the past, I cannot support using this drug just for the purposes of "recreation."

Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM

674 posts, read 1,808,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well you do not agree that pot can be a gateway drug but I have seen it happen. Both you and I may have been able to use it without any lasting addiction or anything. Many adults can probably handle it responsibly with no problem. But because of what I have seen in the past, I cannot support using this drug just for the purposes of "recreation."

It can be a gateway drug but not very often. I support marijuana legilization because like alchahol many adults can use it responsibly.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 PM

17,900 posts, read 27,295,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
Where's the option for 'Don't care either way'?

I think the "option" would be
  • Just don't vote
  • Just don't comment
  • Just don't flame the thread
I don't know why it's in here, but here it is and I'll respond.

I always used to respond that it should stay illegal and laws should be followed and violators should be prosecuted. But I'm in agreement of the nuisance and hassle that having weed illegal causes overall. I know quite a few prosecutors of the law who say they only wish their "clients" just smoked weed.

Let's legalize it and see what happens. Maybe there'll be less gang violence, border wars, less use of meth, pharmaceuticals (both legally and illegally-another can of worms!), cocaine, alcohol, cigarettes (yet another can of worms!)etc., and more money for the government through taxation and perhaps the industrial use of hemp as a textile.

I smoked it. I don't anymore, due to my personal pursuit of spiritual awareness and freedom. Not to judge others who are not "addict prone" and can "handle" their weed. When I smoke weed, my mind goes into some cool sense of euphoria and I am enabled to shed off a sense of self-centered illusion of self-importance, laugh at myself the the silliness of worldly clamours, and enjoy myself for a couple of hours. But then, something in me wants another buzz. But subsequent buzzes fail the mark of the first, and I go from getting "high" to getting "stoned". So I don't get the original high, but I seek it yet again, regardless of the letdown. And currently, obtaining the stuff isn't that easy. Ultimately, it leads me back to a drink because my "spiritual pursuits and freedom" is gone. So no problem. I just choose to say, "Thanks, but no thanks."

It's nice to have that choice and the laws and dangers surrounding the use of it would not deter me one way or another. If I wanted to get high, I'd "Just Do It!"

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-11-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,712,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well sure it's a gateway drug but not often. I think the majority of people who smoke never go on to try harder drugs, of course there are those who are out there, but I wouldn't blame weed for it. Those are just wacked out people anyway!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:23 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,437,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Advocating for or against legalization has nothing to do with whether you have smoked it or not.

By that logic I could say I don't care whether rape is legal or not because I have never been raped.

The fact is, prohibition of marijuana causes considerable social strife including the diversion of law enforcement away from much more serious crime which ultimately affects everyone in society.

ABQConvict
Marijuana and rape are different. You choose to try marijuana, you don't choose to be raped. I can see some benefits to legalizing marijuana (not as much drug violence, law enforcement can focus on more important crimes, etc). But I won't go around advocating the legalization of something that doesn't affect me since I don't smoke it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies