Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
So is it such a jump that our ships need to be outarming the pirates? WOW what a concept.
I'm all for arming these ships but dealing with these little boats can be difficult. They can sneak up on these large ships and before they know it, they are staring down at the business end of and RPG launcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 01:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I'm not a criminal and don't desire to break into anyone's house but your toughgal antics are not needed in this situation. A gun or being tough can't solve most situations especially this one.

I disagree, unfortunately I think force is the only thing to end this. You are not dealing with a govenment that you can talk to and persuade. These are violent, dangerous criminals. We don't negotiate with gangs in our country to stop thier criminal behavior. The Mafia wasn't broken by negotation.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I disagree, unfortunately I think force is the only thing to end this. You are not dealing with a govenment that you can talk to and persuade. These are violent, dangerous criminals. We don't negotiate with gangs in our country to stop thier criminal behavior. The Mafia wasn't broken by negotation.
The mafia was broken by years of investigation and eventually broken by tax evasion. It wasn't toughness, it was brains and patience. Every criminal makes a mistake in due time. When time allows itself, you use it especially when one's life is in jeopardy. You may not care about that life but I'm sure his family does.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,619,607 times
I wonder if Hillary is going to laugh at this one as well?

Old 04-11-2009, 01:49 PM

23,869 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
LOL... these tough guys are hilarious... they think Obama is in the White House running this operation... this is being conducted by our military but these tough guys on the internet know better than our own military... I would love to hear what they say if that was their brother, father, etc. on that boat as a hostage.
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, as I don't think of myself as a "tough guy," but plenty of people in this forum mislabel me all the time so I've given up trying to figure out when it's me they're referring to...

You want to know what I'd say if it was one of my loved ones? Exactly what I've already said - get the SEALs out there and pop their heads like pumpkins.

As warm and fuzzy as "talking" makes you feel, understand this: Much of the world views that approach as a display of weakness. They will then act accordingly, which is probably why we saw this tugboat get boarded today. Certain groups respect only one thing, and that's force. You don't have to like it, and you can wish it wasn't so, but that's reality.

And as for this:
Quote:
they think Obama is in the White House running this operation... this is being conducted by our military
Do you even know what the term "Commander in Chief" means?

Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
The mafia was broken by years of investigation and eventually broken by tax evasion. It wasn't toughness, it was brains and patience. Every criminal makes a mistake in due time. When time allows itself, you use it especially when one's life is in jeopardy. You may not care about that life but I'm sure his family does.
The point is they were treated like criminals and force was used when needed. If you don't think the cops dealing with these guys were not tough you are mistaken. My heart goes out to the families but something needs to be done to end this cycle and I don't believe talk will do it.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:10 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
It should be fairly obvious to them which boats have hostages (the minority) vs which don't.

I mean, talking to them and giving them loads of cash has just worked wonders so far. Hasn't it?
What are you talking about? Where Somali pirates have been spotted without hostages, they have been destroyed. Do you even understand what's happening there?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The point is they were treated like criminals and force was used when needed. If you don't think the cops dealing with these guys were not tough you are mistaken. My heart goes out to the families but something needs to be done to end this cycle and I don't believe talk will do it.
The mafia was taken down in a courtroom my friend not a back alley..The mafia didn't go away because the cops were physically tougher, they went away because they were convicted and thier assets were seized.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, as I don't think of myself as a "tough guy," but plenty of people in this forum mislabel me all the time so I've given up trying to figure out when it's me they're referring to...

You want to know what I'd say if it was one of my loved ones? Exactly what I've already said - get the SEALs out there and pop their heads like pumpkins.

As warm and fuzzy as "talking" makes you feel, understand this: Much of the world views that approach as a display of weakness. They will then act accordingly, which is probably why we saw this tugboat get boarded today. Certain groups respect only one thing, and that's force. You don't have to like it, and you can wish it wasn't so, but that's reality.

And as for this:

The name "swagger" and statements like "get the SEALs out there and pop their heads like pumpkins" give people the impresseion that you're a wannabe tough guy.

This is not about the world view, it's about saving that guys life. Why are you all of sudden worried about what the world thinks? You never cared before.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:16 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

And as for this:

Obviously we could destroy this and every other pirated ship within minutes but that would mean that the hostages would also die. Sure, it may deter the pirates if they knew nobody would negotiate and that they would be killed along with the hostages but let me see you try to field a crew on a tanker after that happens... And I suppose you think the Navy Seals are being held back from "popping heads" because the President wants to look weak, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies