Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times

Advertisements

thanks, i was wondering that too spunky. it was a law across the land but it was never a Biblical sin anywhere in christianity just by racists who used the bible to keep races apart. But in the new testament and the hebrew scriptures, even in the muslim quran it is immoral behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Ironic? I don't think so, the analogy your trying to make doesn't hold up. The last time I checked it was not a sin to marry outside your race.
I was simply responding to the poster that stated homosexuals don't have all the rights of other citizens. And I stand by my statement.
Let me try to explain this to you in a way you can understand....the...same...argument...you...just.. .used...was
used...for...interracial...marriage. Now do you get it?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:58 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Let me try to explain this to you in a way you can understand....the...same...argument...you...just.. .used...was
used...for...interracial...marriage. Now do you get it?
Y e s. . . I. . . got. . . your. . . point. . . the. . . first. . . time it really wasn't that profound. I guess you didn't understand my point that your comparison doesn't stand up because homosexuality is a sin and interracial marriage is not. Do you understand now?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Y e s. . . I. . . got. . . your. . . point. . . the. . . first. . . time it really wasn't that profound. I guess you didn't understand my point that your comparison doesn't stand up because homosexuality is a sin and interracial marriage is not. Do you understand now?
A sin to those that follow your religion. So why should they pay the price of YOUR beliefs?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
A sin to those that follow your religion. So why should they pay the price of YOUR beliefs?
Pay what price? Once again, our country was based on judeo/christian principles. Marriage-between one man and one woman.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Pay what price? Once again, our country was based on judeo/christian principles. Marriage-between one man and one woman.
I've been away from organized religion for a long time but doesn't the Episcopal Church accept homosexuality and doesn't the polygamy accepting Church of LDS claim to be a branch of Christianity?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Mr. Butler, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences at Yale University, is the author of Awash in a Sea of Faith: Christianizing the American People(Harvard University Press, 1990). This interview was conducted by HNN editor Rick Shenkman for The Learning Channel series, "Myth America," which aired several years ago.

You hear it all the time from the right wing. The United States was founded as a Christian country. What do you make of that?

Well, first of all, it wasn't. The United States wasn't founded as a Christian country. Religion played very little role in the American Revolution and it played very little role in the making of the Constitution. That's largely because the Founding Fathers were on the whole deists who had a very abstract conception of God, whose view of God was not a God who acted in the world today and manipulated events in a way that actually changed the course of human history. Their view of religion was really a view that stressed ethics and morals rather than a direct divine intervention.

http://ffrf.org/nontracts/xian.php

Old 04-25-2007, 11:04 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Mr. Butler, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences at Yale University, is the author of Awash in a Sea of Faith: Christianizing the American People(Harvard University Press, 1990). This interview was conducted by HNN editor Rick Shenkman for The Learning Channel series, "Myth America," which aired several years ago.

You hear it all the time from the right wing. The United States was founded as a Christian country. What do you make of that?

Well, first of all, it wasn't. The United States wasn't founded as a Christian country. Religion played very little role in the American Revolution and it played very little role in the making of the Constitution. That's largely because the Founding Fathers were on the whole deists who had a very abstract conception of God, whose view of God was not a God who acted in the world today and manipulated events in a way that actually changed the course of human history. Their view of religion was really a view that stressed ethics and morals rather than a direct divine intervention.

http://ffrf.org/nontracts/xian.php
We're totally OT now, but I just gotta ask...Have you ever googled "Why did the Pilgrims come to America?" You should...

An excerpt from http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CAP/puritan/purhist.html

"But theirs was a religious, not a political agenda; moral and theological principles were involved, and from their perspective, there could be no compromise. For them 2 Corinthians made it clear: "Come out from among them and be ye separate, saith the Lord." To achieve and preserve a simplicity and 'purity' that they felt had been lost amid the some of the surviving features of Catholicism--the rituals which continued through into the Anglican Church and were epitomized in its statement, "'I believe in...the holy Catholick Church'" (Gill, 19). To establish themselves as rightful interpreters of the Bible independent of an inherited social and cultural order, they removed from the Anglican Church in order to re-establish it as they believed it truly should be. This of course meant leaving the country, and they left for Holland in 1608."

While I haven't read the all of this or any other articles that come up in that search...clearly they all agree that they came here to build a country based on Christianity. Now whether that was the intentions of what we call the 'founding fathers' is obviously arguable. But those 'founding fathers' wouldn't have even been here if not for the Pilgrims and their passion for Christ.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:22 AM

Pilgrims did not create the nation. They were just a few that came here first. "The Founding Fathers" creaters of the Constitution are the ones that did. All I see before them was death and hatred " Witch trials" for example.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times
It isn't an issue of religion. Judeo-Christian PRINCIPLES. It is possible, despite to the astonishment of some that our country's morals can and are based on such principles without imposing one's religion on another. Where is the foundation for our morals, a morals barometer, without the 10 Commandments? More over you can't separate the laws of the land from those same morals established via these Judeo Christian principles. It isn't possible unless you want to live in a land of anarchy or a totalitarian state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies