Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 04:40 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Um.. in case anybody else missed it, illegals are fighting for the right to vote...

Back to topic: Why even have marriage if there's no permanency in it anyways?
because it is a legal contract between two adults in running a household.. with or without children.. but under the law.. having it recognized for tax purposes and benefits. just like any other contract.. it stands until both parties agree to void it... whatever you want to call it in the law.. thats fine.. but you can't call it one thing for one group and another thing for someone else.. under the law... Religious institutions can sanction whatever they feel god likes and doesn't like.. NOT the constitution...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 04:42 PM

454 posts, read 1,338,778 times
Quote:
Um.. in case anybody else missed it, illegals are fighting for the right to vote...

Maybe we should ban divorce and take out stock in arsenic?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:

No one missed it as the vast majority, huge majority actually, are opposed to non-citizens voting. Our Constitution only protects the rights of Citizens to vote. There is a clear distiction. However you've shown a point I was trying to make, there is a line where you can draw over who should have a right and who should not. Voting: Citizen - right; non citizen -no right. Marriage: consenting adults - right; underage children or goats - no right.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
No one missed it as the vast majority, huge majority actually, are opposed to non-citizens voting. Our Constitution only protects the rights of Citizens to vote. There is a clear distiction. However you've shown a point I was trying to make, there is a line where you can draw over who should have a right and who should not. Voting: Citizen - right; non citizen -no right. Marriage: consenting adults - right; underage children or goats - no right.
Well... many, many years ago blacks had no right to vote. Women had no right to vote. What's to say that politicians (in order to get more votes) aren't going to allow illegals to vote? Yes, this is another topic entirely, but times change. Through the current administration, they want to fast-track the "illegals" to being "legals" which would give them the right to cross our borders and just BE Americans with rights.

Lastly, 3 adults consent to marry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
because it is a legal contract between two adults in running a household.. with or without children.. but under the law.. having it recognized for tax purposes and benefits. just like any other contract.. it stands until both parties agree to void it... whatever you want to call it in the law.. thats fine.. but you can't call it one thing for one group and another thing for someone else.. under the law... Religious institutions can sanction whatever they feel god likes and doesn't like.. NOT the constitution...
I shall quote myself "Civil unions for all." That sounds like it would solve the problem. ***** as it sounds, I would have no problem with civil polygamy unions or civil unions amongst relatives. Don't know of a good way to put this... but marriage is outdated in a sense. By all semantics, it is supposed (originally) to be a "permanent" union between man and woman.

And lastly, I'm not even talking about goat humpers anymore. It's such a sickening concept.

My overall "problem" with same sex marriage is based on semantics of the actual concept. I will repeat..... Civil unions for all. That way, if two people want to get the benefits that a now marriage offers, they can. If they want a "marriage" persay, they can go to church.. but keep that separate from the government side.

This will allow siblings to enjoy the tax breaks of marriage. This will allow polygamists to be happy together; overall it is a way to overhaul the "old system" into the direction the world is heading.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 PM

36 posts, read 89,185 times
There is absolutely no effective argument for same sex marriage. It is an absolutely immoral idea and the majority of societies, whether capitalist, communist, pagan, authoritarian, Christian, Islamic, native American, or Amazonian, have all shunned it because it is inherently wicked and this knowledge was placed there by God. Those of you nitwits who promote this idea think you are "progressives", but in reality you have no argument to suggest it is normal in any way. I know what will happen now. Some of you nuts will come out of the woodwork and trash Christianity as well as all people opposed to your love of all things perverse and degenerate.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:38 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post

They have addressed it and indicated it is for consenting adults but you continue to bring up the slippery slope argument with goats and children (although children can be allowed with parental consent but not goats, even if you had farmer consent).
I'm crying!

Quote:
Well... many, many years ago blacks had no right to vote. Women had no right to vote. What's to say that politicians (in order to get more votes) aren't going to allow illegals to vote? Yes, this is another topic entirely, but times change. Through the current administration, they want to fast-track the "illegals" to being "legals" which would give them the right to cross our borders and just BE Americans with rights.

Lastly, 3 adults consent to marry?

I shall quote myself "Civil unions for all." That sounds like it would solve the problem. ***** as it sounds, I would have no problem with civil polygamy unions or civil unions amongst relatives. Don't know of a good way to put this... but marriage is outdated in a sense. By all semantics, it is supposed (originally) to be a "permanent" union between man and woman.

And lastly, I'm not even talking about goat humpers anymore. It's such a sickening concept.

My overall "problem" with same sex marriage is based on semantics of the actual concept. I will repeat..... Civil unions for all. That way, if two people want to get the benefits that a now marriage offers, they can. If they want a "marriage" persay, they can go to church.. but keep that separate from the government side.

This will allow siblings to enjoy the tax breaks of marriage. This will allow polygamists to be happy together; overall it is a way to overhaul the "old system" into the direction the world is heading.
Why isn't marriage possible for gay couples but Civil Unions are? Are homosexuals not allowed to be christians and get married in a church? And why would we even want to police what happens between two consenting adults when it has no consequence on our life at all? Also, what does illegal immigrants voting have to do with this topic? Unless of course, they were voting in favor of gay marriage.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 PM

116 posts, read 372,307 times
Well. why is there legal marriage? Legal marriage exists to bind people to ensure security for children. Seeing as gay people technically can't have children and not all states allow gay adoption, I don't see the point in gay marriage.( besides tax exemptions of course) Do you just want to shove it down anti-gay marriage advocates throats? If you love eachother so much, what's the point of marriage?

It is a state issue not a national issue anyways.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:43 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flanagan View Post
There is absolutely no effective argument for same sex marriage. It is an absolutely immoral idea and the majority of societies, whether capitalist, communist, pagan, authoritarian, Christian, Islamic, native American, or Amazonian, have all shunned it because it is inherently wicked and this knowledge was placed there by God. Those of you nitwits who promote this idea think you are "progressives", but in reality you have no argument to suggest it is normal in any way. I know what will happen now. Some of you nuts will come out of the woodwork and trash Christianity as well as all people opposed to your love of all things perverse and degenerate.
Hm, someone skipped over that section of scripture that says "Judge not, that ye be not judged".

Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flanagan
It is an absolutely immoral idea and the majority of societies, whether capitalist, communist, pagan, authoritarian, Christian, Islamic, native American, or Amazonian, have all shunned it because it is inherently wicked and this knowledge was placed there by God.
1) "Capitalist" and "Communist" is an economic, not a social, system, so that's irrelevant.

2) With regards to "Native Americans," you need to do a little research on "Berdache" and "Two Spirit Identity" in the Native American traditions.

3) Pagans? Many pagan religions have no barrier to homosexual practices or relationships. Indeed, many pagan cults in ancient history centered around orgiastic hetero and homosexual activity.

4) Authoritarian? WTF? At any rate, some of the world's most popular and notorious autocrats, dictators, and royalty were at LEAST bisexual!

5) Christianity pretty much outlaws every sort of sex that isn't within marriage. Good luck trying to convince the populace that "sodomy" in the biblical sense, including oral copulation, should be outlawed as an abomination before God.

6) Islamic? A religion that promises 70 virgins in the afterlife and keeps its women wrapped like sausages is hardly worth looking to for morality advice.

7) Amazonian? Ok Mr. Anthropologist, ya got me there. I actually don't know much about the Amazonian cultures. But I do know about the Etoro culture, which is an indigenous tribe with some pretty damn deviant sex practices!

8) You forgot one: Many different ancient African societies accepted homosexual relationships. Much of the anti-homosexual streak in Africa today arrived with the barbarism of Christian and Islamic colonialism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flanagan
I know what will happen now. Some of you nuts will come out of the woodwork and trash Christianity as well as all people opposed to your love of all things perverse and degenerate.
Well sir, that's because you make it so d*mn easy to do so!

Old 09-07-2007, 06:56 PM

116 posts, read 372,307 times
Greeks had a especially high homo rate in some city-states. :0 hence "boy-lovers" in 300 lol. I've read it was 80-90% in Sparta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies